Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 26 Sep 2016 (Monday) 09:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What to Charge for Senior Photo Session?

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Sep 30, 2016 15:44 |  #16

texkam wrote in post #18144596 (external link)
Reasonable in my market:
If you suck - $100
If you're good - $500
If you're awesome - $1000+

What I and others are wondering: are there average income high school parents that are willing to pay $500-$1,000 just for some senior photos? I've seen others throwing out such figures, and I'm really incredulous (maybe because I've always done my own photos for my family needs)....

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Sep 30, 2016 15:46 |  #17

BlakeC wrote in post #18144560 (external link)
That's true. You are both happy. But remember, you are setting her perception of value for senior photos in the industry as a whole - and anyone she talks to.

Don't worry, I did let her know what the usual going rate is in the industry and that if she's not happy with my work, I can refer her to someone else.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,146 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Sep 30, 2016 23:52 |  #18

are there average income high school parents that are willing to pay $500-$1,000 just for some senior photos?

Yes, there are average income people willing to pay for lots of things that are important to them. Common sense tells us those with above average incomes can more easily afford the finer things in life. I provide a premium product and try to market to a discriminating client who is willing to pay for high quality.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,754 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Oct 01, 2016 01:35 |  #19

If you're not doing it to support yourself you can charge whatever you like...$100, nothing, whatever...unlike someone running a business you can choose who you're willing to take photos of, and how cheap you want to do it

Is it bad for pro's that someone is providing a service for cheap...probably, but they should be able to provide something better than your typical hobbyist anyways

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Jun 30, 2017 01:32 |  #20

kind of late to the game but heres my $0.03...

friend of my daughter was senior last school year.
they were both in the HS band.
i shoot the band's halftime performances for the band, but offer prints through zenfolio.
daughter's friend's mom asked about me taking pictures of said friend in uniform at next performance and asked price.
i said i shoot all of the kids for free.
what she WANTED was some senior portrait type shots in uniform because the friend's uncle (GWAC) couldnt make the last show.
i didnt find THAT fact out until just before i got to the stadium, so i quick called a couple of MY friends who's kids just got senior photos done and found out they paid right around $200-250 for a 1-hour photo session and print packages and extra editing were all over the place.
we shot about 15-30 images and the mom asked me to send her the bill and how to order prints.

i figured i shot for about 20 minutes or so and told her she could order whatever prints tickled her fancy from my zenfolio site and charged her $50. primarily because a Portrait Shooter, im NOT. because the senior portrait deal for them was a low-cost issue due to family situations. because it was mathematically about on par of what 2 other shooters charged. because any images she wanted would be bought through my site.

you could alway call around and ask local photography places what they charge for session fees, photo package costs and then extrapolate that into how long your sessions will be +/- whatever discount youre comfortable with giving this lady.

HammerCope
784 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nebraska
Jun 30, 2017 10:45 as a reply to post 18144458 |  #21

If you are collecting any payment for the job you are a business. You need to treat it as such. If you don't you are just hurting the everyone.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Jul 24, 2017 10:43 |  #22

I am in Charlotte NC my most popular package is a download only package 30 images 90min all images retouched no watermark 175.00. But I researched some people in my area charge 250 for 90min 15 20 images.

Niko McCarter Photography

Jul 24, 2017 10:47 as a reply to post 18144596 |  #23

I may need to rethink my pricing..

Niko McCarter Photography

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,384 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Wilt.
Jul 24, 2017 10:51 |  #24

ALL pricing questions have answers which are very dependent upon the specific locale of the person asking!
Tupelo MS is very different from NYC or LA
Fresno CA is very different from San Francisco and Silicon Valley CA

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,570 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Jul 25, 2017 11:54 |  #25

Wilt wrote in post #18409844 (external link)
ALL pricing questions have answers which are very dependent upon the specific locale of the person asking!
Tupelo MS is very different from NYC or LA
Fresno CA is very different from San Francisco and Silicon Valley CA

Well, not just the local, but of course the factors identified in post #4 as well as the needs of the photographer.

There are only 24 hours in a day, and only a few of those that can be billed. Any photographer has to assess prices carefully, if the intention is to keep the cost of shooting less than the net income.

If one is purely a hobbyist and considers a net loss all in the fun, that's a different thing.

But if one intends photography to provide a net profit above costs--whether part-time or full-time--then those post #4 considerations come into play.

There are many cases in which the cost--including one's time--are such that a photographer may be better off taking a nap or taking the family to the zoo instead of charging what a particular prospective customer desires.

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 5 months ago by icor1031.
Aug 02, 2017 00:44 |  #26

SYS wrote in post #18140831 (external link)
I usually shoot sports but when an acquaintance of mine recently asked me to shoot her son's senior photos for a fee, I thought I'd give it a go.

Yesterday, we had the session at a local park, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I'm currently "developing" the RAW photos into full resolution JPEG and will hand them all over to the client, I'd say 50-70 of the best images.

The question I have is how much is reasonable to charge for about 2 hours of on-location shooting and handing over all JPEG images with no printing involved.

Any input appreciated.

The best photographers I know of in my state charge about 1k.
I charge only around 200 because I need more experience with posing.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

bekahmann
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 27, 2017 14:35 as a reply to post 18144596 |  #27

HAHAHA. I love your response. The sad thing is, I dont think the general public understands the difference between "awesome" and "suck". lol It seems most people are willing to pay "suckY" prices and get shotty work.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Nov 27, 2017 14:45 |  #28

I'd say $250-350 but you've already put your foot in it and said about $100 so you had better charge about $100.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Nov 27, 2017 14:49 |  #29

Also you shouldn't look at it from the perspective of 'I'm not a professional'.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 1 month ago by DaviSto.
Nov 27, 2017 15:12 |  #30

All the evidence suggests that even quite poor people will often find a way to pay value for stuff as long as they are confident that it will really deliver what they want. It's about priorities. People will pay for what is important to them.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

5,619 views & 21 likes for this thread
What to Charge for Senior Photo Session?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.