Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 26 Sep 2016 (Monday) 16:56
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sigma 150-600mm Sport

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Sep 26, 2016 16:56 |  #1

I will be shooting a day football game this weekend. I normally shoot with my 300mm f2.8. I have a 150-600mm Sigma and thought I would give it a try. I used it for a safari in Africa but not yet for football. Has anyone used this lens for football? What did you think?

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,276 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2006
Sandwich UK...the place, not the food!
Sep 26, 2016 17:06 |  #2

On what body? There's probably a reason it's called "Sport" ;)

I don't have any experience with it though so can't say...but I'm interested in knowing!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.ukexternal link
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickrexternal link Blogexternal link 5∞pxexternal link

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Sep 26, 2016 17:49 as a reply to Mike's post |  #3

On my 1DMIV

Lichter21c
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Kenosha, WI
Sep 27, 2016 14:52 |  #4

I used one with a 1D mark III. I owned it for about a month and a half. I was very displeased with the AF performance. my keeper rate went WAY down. I wasn't doing sports, but BIF.

1Dx | 5DMKIII | 16-35 IS L | 28-70 L | 70-200II L| 24 3.5L TSE | 35
F2IS | 85 L | 100 L | 400 L |
Gear List
flickr (external link)
FACEBOOK (external link)

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Sep 27, 2016 15:50 as a reply to Lichter21c's post |  #5

Hmm..I will try it for a half and see what I get and how I like it.

BigLobowski
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2012
BC, Canada
Jan 23, 2017 18:35 as a reply to seaninsa's post |  #6

Just came across this topic, and curious how you made out. I've used this lens on a 1D MkIV for a full season and love it.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Jan 24, 2017 10:47 as a reply to BigLobowski's post |  #7

It was okay..it is kind of slow to focus imo. Also you don't get the same level of bokha. It is an okay lens.

Dan ­ Knowlton
I love myrtle!
138 posts
Joined Sep 2009
La Mesa, CA (San Diego area)
Feb 14, 2017 12:13 |  #8

I used the lens for the last soccer season here in So Cal and was very impressed with the lens. The only problem I experienced was with mid-day games where the sun was really harsh but you can't blame that on the lens. I thought about selling the lens as my son decided to quit playing but I am keeping it for other stuff.

Dan

Magnus3D
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
Gothenburg, Sweden
Apr 09, 2017 18:27 |  #9

I borrowed this lens from a friend to test it before a possible purchase. From what i noticed there was a lag before the AF motor kicked in, that delay could make me miss shots during sports such as football. Plus the long turn you have to do on the zoomring makes it troublesome to use handheld as you have to twist your arm off to get the correct zoomrange set.

So i returned it and picked up a old used 400/2.8 instead. Lots more speed and punch in that lens.

/ Magnus

| Lots of cheap camera gear |

BigLobowski
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2012
BC, Canada
Apr 21, 2017 20:17 |  #10

seaninsa wrote in post #18254197 (external link)
It was okay..it is kind of slow to focus imo. Also you don't get the same level of bokha. It is an okay lens.

Sorry to hear it wasn't a positive experience for you. I've shot a full season of football with mine and was actually surprised at the high number of keepers I got - particularly at the long end. Being an f/5-6.3 yes, the bokeh isn't going to be on a scale of a 300/2.8 - however with a short depth of field of close up subjects from the sidelines I've been very happy with the outcomes. Regarding another post mentioning the amount of turning of the zoom collar, I'm wondering if you used the push/pull method with the lens, as it can do both. I have big hands and a wingspan to match, so turning is my preferred method and hasn't caused me trouble, but again, that's just me. I hope this isn't coming off sounding like I'm a Sig rep and that I think it's the be-all-end-all of zoom lenses, just that my experiences with it have been very pleasant.

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

D ­ Jacobs
33 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Jun 18, 2017 04:49 as a reply to Dan Knowlton's post |  #11

What is the low end of the f-stop for that Zoom?

5D Mark II / 7D / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 24-105mm f/4L / 17-40mm f/4L / 600 EX-RT / Need to stop before more things are listed here...

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,527 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Jun 18, 2017 15:33 as a reply to Magnus3D's post |  #12

So you would agree it is very slow to focus.

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Jul 01, 2017 11:22 |  #13

I've had the Contemporary on my 5dIII for about a year and I haven't had a complain about AF speed. I'd imagine that even a Canon 500 or 600 may not focus as fast as my 24-70 given the longer focal lengths and weight of the glass.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Kcussbuc
160 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago
Post has been last edited 2 hours ago by Kcussbuc. 2 edits done in total.
2 hours ago |  #14

I think its an excellent sports lens for daylight sports at a reasonable price. I'm generally focusing most of the game, so I've never felt there was any "lag".

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II | Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art, 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM, 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |

sponsored links

5,565 views & 1 like for this thread
Sigma 150-600mm Sport
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.