Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 04 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 05:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mustang Crash in South Norfolk (UK)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 04, 2016 05:08 |  #1

Sadly NA P51D Mustang 414419 Janie crashed while landing at Hardwick airfield, near Bungay, The pilot/owner Maurice Hammond is seriously ill in hospital, but making progress. Unfortunately the so far un-named 80 year old passenger was killed.

The aircraft in happier times at the nearby Seething airfield.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5593/15232885361_74c3851860_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pd5w​7v] (external link)North American P51D Mustang (external link) by Alan Evans (external link), on Flickr

Link to local BBC news page. (external link)

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Oct 04, 2016 16:47 |  #2

Sad day. I saw a bit of a news release on Facebook with a photo of the wreckage a day or 2 ago.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 09, 2016 02:23 |  #3

This is very sad to hear.

Doing a search on the net shows a few other vintage warbird crashes in recent years.
Ironically, about 3 years ago a British man was killed in a P-51 crash in the U.S.

http://www.dailymail.c​o.uk ...shes-Galveston-coast.html (external link)

Hmmm...makes me think twice about taking a ride in warbird.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

BigAl007
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 09, 2016 06:59 |  #4

I don't think that warbirds are any more likely to crash than any other type of light aircraft. In the County of Norfolk, which is geographically one of the largest, although being very rural with one of the lower populations, over the last five years you have been about five times more likely to be killed in a non warbird type; and we do have quite a few warbirds operating from the county, especially if you count AT6's. Of course that is based on the total number of fatal accidents, there are of course a lot more take off's and landings by the non warbirds. Still I would just as happily get in a warbird as I would any other light aircraft. Also remember that you are about 1000× more likely to be killed on the road on the way to/from taking that flight, than while actually flying. In the East Anglia region, which is essentially the big lump on the east coast of England we seem to have one or two light aircraft incidents reported on the news a month.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 09, 2016 12:45 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18152224 (external link)
I don't think that warbirds are any more likely to crash than any other type of light aircraft. In the County of Norfolk, which is geographically one of the largest, although being very rural with one of the lower populations, over the last five years you have been about five times more likely to be killed in a non warbird type; and we do have quite a few warbirds operating from the county, especially if you count AT6's. Of course that is based on the total number of fatal accidents, there are of course a lot more take off's and landings by the non warbirds. Still I would just as happily get in a warbird as I would any other light aircraft. Also remember that you are about 1000× more likely to be killed on the road on the way to/from taking that flight, than while actually flying. In the East Anglia region, which is essentially the big lump on the east coast of England we seem to have one or two light aircraft incidents reported on the news a month.

Alan

At one particular air show I attend, at the close of the show the announcer says...and now folks we come to the most dangerous part of
the air show - the drive home.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

4,217 views & 2 likes for this thread
Mustang Crash in South Norfolk (UK)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.