Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 14 Oct 2016 (Friday) 08:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best area for raptors?

chrisa
Joined May 2005
Effingham, IL
Oct 14, 2016 08:48 |  #1

I live in southern Illinois and have trouble finding raptors. I see them on the interstate but feel it's too dangerous to stop on the shoulder to take photo's. Where would be the best locations to find them?

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Oct 14, 2016 09:10 |  #2

Well when I lived in Illinois the places I saw them was by the bigger rivers and lots of Red Tail Hawks when I went pheasant hunting. They got to the pheasant before we could :)

Illinois has an above average raptor population. They are there, you need to look around. I think once you start to find them you will see them all over.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Oct 20, 2016 19:00 |  #3

Check with your local bird club or state ornithology society.

flickr (external link)

Luxx
462 posts
Joined Jan 2013
St Louis
Oct 20, 2016 22:04 |  #4

If you are not too far from big rivers they tend to be a pretty good place for raptors. At the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi I typically will see, bald eagles, red shouldered Hawks, harriers, cormorants, peregrine falcons and and less commonly kestrels, osprey, Cooper's Hawks and others.

On a given trip I'll see at least a couple...obviously it depends upon the time of year.

1,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best area for raptors?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.