Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 16 Oct 2016 (Sunday) 09:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Biggest in the world - Part time Camera Store

this thread is locked
dhornick
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Oct 16, 2016 09:06 |  #1

Sorry just a little Sunday morning venting...... There is a Camera store in New York City that proclaims to be the biggest Camera store in the world that for all intent and purposes might as well be the worlds largest part time Camera Store. Every time I go to log on and buy some gear they are closed for one type of holiday or another. Time and time again. Over and over. Do they not realize how many purchases they are missing out on? I cant be the only one who feels like this. Ugh! Just frustrates me to no end. I'm trying to give them money and they don't want it.

End rant.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 16, 2016 09:41 |  #2

dhornick wrote in post #18158204 (external link)
Sorry just a little Sunday morning venting...... There is a Camera store in New York City that proclaims to be the biggest Camera store in the world that for all intent and purposes might as well be the worlds largest part time Camera Store. Every time I go to log on and buy some gear they are closed for one type of holiday or another. Time and time again. Over and over. Do they not realize how many purchases they are missing out on? I cant be the only one who feels like this. Ugh! Just frustrates me to no end. I'm trying to give them money and they don't want it.End rant.

Do you understand the Jewish faith, and the belief that they should not do business on the Sabbath, or on faith-related holy days? If you develop an appreciation for their faith and associated beliefs, it might make it easier for you to understand them being closed during these times. Scheduling your visits shouldn't be a problem if you make it a point to be aware of Jewish holidays, and schedule accordingly.

As for missed sales, it isn't really a concern. Why? Because a huge part of their overall volume comes from accounts they have with the likes of Disney, the U.S. government, and a multitude of big-time production companies . . . not to mention the millions of dollars every month that they do in mail-order sales. They really aren't depending on walk-in business very much at all, as it is just a small part of their overall volume.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lt ­ Colonel
Joined Dec 2013
Just out of range.
Oct 16, 2016 09:45 |  #3

It is truly embarrassing that we have turned Christian holidays into SALE opportunities instead of reflecting on their significance.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 16, 2016 09:52 |  #4

Sorry just a little Sunday morning venting...... There is a Camera store in New York City that proclaims to be the biggest Camera store in the world that for all intent and purposes might as well be the worlds largest part time Camera Store. Every time I go to log on and buy some gear they are closed for one type of holiday or another. Time and time again. Over and over. Do they not realize how many purchases they are missing out on? I cant be the only one who feels like this. Ugh! Just frustrates me to no end. I'm trying to give them money and they don't want it.

End rant.

Don't see what the big issue is. You can still place orders. They get processed upon reopening. No extra work for you. You still receive orders within the typical standard and those orders are backed up with excellent service. Can't really see the reason for your rant. Perhaps you misunderstand the reason for the closure and the near zero effect it has on the overall process?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by drmaxx.
Oct 16, 2016 09:55 |  #5

I am still living in a part of the world where most stores are closed on Sundays and holidays. And, yes sometimes it is annoying and inconvenient. But on the other side these days are still strong family and fun days without having the temptation to do your shopping chores on holidays. And here we actually actively try to keep it this way.
And yes, if you must there is always the internet to spend your money on more stuff.

Donate if you love POTN

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 16, 2016 09:57 |  #6

drmaxx wrote in post #18158236 (external link)
I am still living in a part of the world where most stores are closed on Sundays and holidays.

Where might that be?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by drmaxx.
Oct 16, 2016 09:59 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18158237 (external link)
Where might that be?

It's the place where chocolate flows in rivers and mountains are made of cheese (and the vaults are full of illegal money....).

Donate if you love POTN

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 16, 2016 10:23 |  #8

drmaxx wrote in post #18158240 (external link)
It's the place where chocolate flows in rivers and mountains are made of cheese (and the vaults are full of illegal money....).

Las Vegas?  :p;-)a

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Oct 16, 2016 10:31 |  #9

nqjudo wrote in post #18158258 (external link)
Las Vegas?  :p;-)a

LOL :p

Donate if you love POTN

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.
Oct 16, 2016 11:09 |  #10

nqjudo wrote in post #18158232 (external link)
Don't see what the big issue is. You can still place orders. They get processed upon reopening. No extra work for you. You still receive orders within the typical standard and those orders are backed up with excellent service. Can't really see the reason for your rant. Perhaps you misunderstand the reason for the closure and the near zero effect it has on the overall process?

Overall, I agree with you, except for what you say about still being able to place online orders during closures, and receiving orders within "the typical standard". There are several times throughout the year when order fulfillment is delayed by a significant amount of time. I am ok with that, because I am never in much of a hurry to get stuff - I usually employ enough forethought to order things long before I will be needing them. However, if someone procrastinated, and really needs their stuff in a hurry, then the holy day closures and the resultant delays in shipping can present a very legitimate problem.

For instance, if ordered something right now - Sunday, October 16th - they wouldn't pack and ship the order until Wednesday, October 26th. That is a delay of ten days, which I certainly wouldn't consider to be "within the typical standard".

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 16, 2016 11:38 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18158307 (external link)
Overall, I agree with you, except for what you say about still being able to place online orders during closures, and receiving orders within "the typical standard". There are several times throughout the year when order fulfillment is delayed by a significant amount of time. I am ok with that, because I am never in much of a hurry to get stuff - I usually employ enough forethought to order things long before I will be needing them. However, if someone procrastinated, and really needs their stuff in a hurry, then the holy day closures and the resultant delays in shipping can present a very legitimate problem.

For instance, if ordered something right now - Sunday, October 16th - they wouldn't pack and ship the order until Wednesday, October 26th. That is a delay of ten days, which I certainly wouldn't consider to be "within the typical standard".

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=181​58307&i=i181340563
forum: Market Watch

I would Tom. I receive shipments cross-border. Delayed shipping from B&H is rarely the bottleneck.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 16, 2016 11:45 |  #12

nqjudo wrote in post #18158335 (external link)
I would Tom. I receive shipments cross-border. Delayed shipping from B&H is rarely the bottleneck.

Wow - a 10 day delay wouldn't cause you to get it any later? Not any later at all? That is quite surprising. I've sent packages to people in Canada, and never has it taken so long for them to get anything. Even if it typically takes 20 days for you to get something from the U.S., well, then, if the U.S. seller doesn't process your order for 10 days, then wouldn't the 20 day delivery time START when the seller finally ships the package? I would certainly think so. Just because it takes you a really, really long time to get packages doesn't mean that a 10 day delay has no effect - it would have to have an affect.

What you are effectively claiming is that if B&H got a package in the mail to you right now, today, and then they mailed you another package 10 days from now - on October 26th - well, what you are effectively claiming is that both packages would arrive at the same time - that a 10 day delay on the shippers part would have no effect on the delivery date because delayed shipments from B&H is not the bottleneck. I am having a hard time believing that it really works that way, especially when you consider that we are not discussing a 2 or 3 day delay. Ten days simply has to make some difference!

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 16, 2016 12:26 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18158341 (external link)
Wow - a 10 day delay wouldn't cause you to get it any later? Not any later at all? That is quite surprising. I've sent packages to people in Canada, and never has it taken so long for them to get anything. Even if it typically takes 20 days for you to get something from the U.S., well, then, if the U.S. seller doesn't process your order for 10 days, then wouldn't the 20 day delivery time START when the seller finally ships the package? I would certainly think so. Just because it takes you a really, really long time to get packages doesn't mean that a 10 day delay has no effect - it would have to have an affect.

What you are effectively claiming is that if B&H got a package in the mail to you right now, today, and then they mailed you another package 10 days from now - on October 26th - well, what you are effectively claiming is that both packages would arrive at the same time - that a 10 day delay on the shippers part would have no effect on the delivery date because delayed shipments from B&H is not the bottleneck. I am having a hard time believing that it really works that way, especially when you consider that we are not discussing a 2 or 3 day delay. Ten days simply has to make some difference!

Tom, you have managed to take my statement and twist it beyond what I would consider good sense. Surprising coming from you. I am claiming pretty much nothing that you are alluding to in the above. I am saying that the major part of the bottleneck in my case is not usually the delay out of the warehouse but rather in the form of customs delays and post-customs delivery. A lot of things impact processing at customs including holidays, staff issues and things not disclosed to the public. I recently ordered a razor strop from CA. Same day shipping, 18 days in customs, 3 days delivery post customs. I don't know where you send packages in Canada but I often order from remote regions. The distribution network is not what people in the US or Canada's metropolitan regions might be accustomed to. When I am in northern locations you might add 10-15 days for delivery. Of course merchant processing time counts for something. In what world could it not? I guess I should have said 'it's not the MAJOR part of the bottleneck.' but I think most people have the ability to see beyond the tip of their nose. In any case they claim to be the world's biggest camera store - not the only one. Don't like something? There's choice. Very surprised Tom. I thought someone hacked your ID for a minute.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 16, 2016 12:44 as a reply to nqjudo's post |  #14

Got it. I think I understand your situation better now. It did seem to me like you were saying that B&H shipping delays wouldn't make a noticeable difference in when the package gets to you, and I thought that certainly a 10 day delay would have to make at least some difference - that was the point of my post. I apologize for misunderstanding what you had said, and for my emphatic rebuttal. I do tend to take people's words very literally, and that sometimes leads to these misunderstandings.

It's cool that you live in such a remote region - especially when that region is in the Canadian North! I'm a bit jealous - I would love to get up in to that country sometime and photograph all of the Wonders of Nature that we don't have down here in the more temperate regions of the continent. Sluggish shipping would be a small price to pay to be able to live in such grandeur!

NCSA197
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Western NY State
Oct 16, 2016 13:16 |  #15

End rant.

Retail is a difficult business. If a company chooses to close in observance of strongly held beliefs, all I can do is applaud them and shop when they are open. If I have a problem with them for these observances, the problem is mine, not theirs. Waiting even several days for my order is not an issue. At all.

Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

3,228 views & 17 likes for this thread
Biggest in the world - Part time Camera Store
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.