Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 18 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 11:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Huntington Beach Air Show - Who's going?

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 18, 2016 11:38 |  #1

The only beach front air show on the west coast.
Great line up of performers, but will be crowded!

Who's going?

http://www.hbairshow.c​om/ (external link)

https://www.facebook.c​om/hbairshow (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Goldmember
4,976 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 19, 2016 23:09 |  #2

I'd love to but I know it'll be a huge zoo down there.

jlt23
401 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Oct 21, 2016 17:23 |  #3

I'm going. Still deciding if I should bring the 600 or just go with the 100-400. It will only be my third air show.

James

i_am_hydrogen
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
Chicago, IL
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by i_am_hydrogen. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2016 22:17 as a reply to jlt23's post |  #4

I've shot my fair share of air shows over the years, and I'd go with the 100-400. Less weight and more flexibility.

Taken w/the 100-400

IMAGE: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/kdickert/AWS3-Flickr-9101.jpg

IMAGE: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/kdickert/AWS9-8744.jpg

IMAGE: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/kdickert/AWS17-9229.jpg

IMAGE: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/kdickert/BA16Use19-4164.jpg

flickrexternal link | Kevin

Canon 6D | Canon 5D II | Canon TS-E 17
L | Canon TS-E 24L | Canon TS-E 45 | Canon 135L | Canon 24-105 ISL

jlt23
401 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Oct 21, 2016 23:11 as a reply to i_am_hydrogen's post |  #5

Nice shots. That's what I'm going to do. It's going to be crowded and I don't want to lug the 600 around.

James

i_am_hydrogen
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
Chicago, IL
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by i_am_hydrogen.
Oct 21, 2016 23:21 |  #6

jlt23 wrote in post #18163494 (external link)
Nice shots. That's what I'm going to do. It's going to be crowded and I don't want to lug the 600 around.

Thanks. Good idea. I'm all about primes, but zoom lenses are a necessity at air shows.

flickrexternal link | Kevin

Canon 6D | Canon 5D II | Canon TS-E 17
L | Canon TS-E 24L | Canon TS-E 45 | Canon 135L | Canon 24-105 ISL

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 22, 2016 22:39 |  #7

I'll be there tomorrow. It's been awhile since I shot some metal birds... let's see how long it takes before I dust off the rust.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,976 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 22, 2016 22:51 |  #8

jwcdds wrote in post #18164207 (external link)
I'll be there tomorrow. It's been awhile since I shot some metal birds... let's see how long it takes before I dust off the rust.

I cruised PCH this afternoon during the show with my daughter. I wanted to check out the crowds/conditions and she wanted to see the planes. OK, I wanted to see them too. :-D I caught a glimpse of one plane going very low and slow, pitched up about 45 degrees. It looked like it could have been an F15 or F22 -- I was driving so I couldn't properly ID it -- and holy cr*p it was loud.

The show is centered on PCH/Beach Blvd and I suggest getting as close as possible to there. A lot of the action was low on the horizon from my perspective along PCH. Unfortunately, given the time of year and geography, it looks like we'll be shooting into the sun a lot. Hopefully the angles are better from the beach than they appeared from the road.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 22, 2016 22:56 |  #9

mike_d wrote in post #18164214 (external link)
I cruised PCH this afternoon during the show with my daughter. I wanted to check out the crowds/conditions and she wanted to see the planes. OK, I wanted to see them too. :-D I caught a glimpse of one plane going very low and slow, pitched up about 45 degrees. It looked like it could have been an F15 or F22 -- I was driving so I couldn't properly ID it -- and holy cr*p it was loud.

The show is centered on PCH/Beach Blvd and I suggest getting as close as possible to there. A lot of the action was low on the horizon from my perspective along PCH. Unfortunately, given the time of year and geography, it looks like we'll be shooting into the sun a lot. Hopefully the angles are better from the beach than they appeared from the road.

Awesome. Thanks for the scouting report. :lol:

I'm too old and lazy to camp out on the sand. I will be in the Aviator's Club seating or whatever it's called. It's supposedly located at show center PCH/Beach. So hopefully I'll be able to stake out a good vantage point there.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

jlt23
401 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Oct 23, 2016 15:41 as a reply to jwcdds's post |  #10

I was in the Aviator Club seating as well, but went out toward the shoreline for the main event.

James

mike_d
Goldmember
4,976 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 23, 2016 20:04 |  #11

I was there today too. I didn't pay for upgraded seats but I was less than 50' south of the cordoned off area, right at the high point in the sand before the drop off. I sure wasn't expecting that rain. I hope I didn't sacrifice my 100-400 v1 to the cause.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Oct 23, 2016 20:11 |  #12

mike_d wrote in post #18164911 (external link)
I was there today too. I didn't pay for upgraded seats but I was less than 50' south of the cordoned off area, right at the high point in the sand before the drop off. I sure wasn't expecting that rain. I hope I didn't sacrifice my 100-400 v1 to the cause.

That down pour sure offered some excitement. The cordoned off are wasn't really cordoned off. Lots of people were standing in front of the chalets... which was a little bit disappointing as it kind of ruined the horizon. But oh well, it's a public beach, what can ya do. At least the food was good.

Julian

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 24, 2016 17:35 |  #13

I couldn't make it, maybe next year if they have it again.

For those who paid for the Aviator Beach Club I'd like your opinion. Do you feel it was money well spent?
How far away from the spectators did the planes fly? Was it a similar distance as when performed at an airport?

Looking forward to your photos!

mike_d
Goldmember
4,976 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 24, 2016 17:49 |  #14

I didn't pay for the Club, but my free spot was at least as good. The tents were farther back from the water than I was. The planes made their passes parallel to the coast and the aerobatic planes did their performances at various points up/down the coast, but mostly straight out from the tents. Despite being just about as close as legally possible, I spent the majority of the day at 400mm on my 5D3 and wished for more. See uncropped SOOC sample below.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 24, 2016 19:25 |  #15

Mike, that information helps. Thanks for sharing.

sponsored links

11,228 views & 36 likes for this thread
Huntington Beach Air Show - Who's going?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.