Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 20 Oct 2016 (Thursday) 13:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dual harness options

dan.k78
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Oct 20, 2016 13:22 |  #1

The two most obvious contenders are the Black Rapid double or Holdfast's Moneymaker. I like the price of the BR and the style of the Holdfast. A little internet searching and I came up with one other: RL Handcrafters. I dig the style, they seem very well made (not too many reviews out there compared to Moneymaker's), and they are almost $80 cheaper than the Moneymaker's. Anyone know of any other makers of dual harness setups that are leather and look decent?

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Canon 85mm f/1.8; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

sponsored links
Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Oct 20, 2016 15:06 |  #2

I don't have any experience with either of the brands you listed, but on a whim one day I threw a very cheap (BlackRapid knock off) in my Amazon cart, because for $13 even if I don't like it, I'm not losing much. It has served me very well now, for years. It does show some signs of wear, but I have used it heavily, and barely paid anything for it. It is called an "Image Shoulder Straps (external link)."

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Oct 20, 2016 18:42 |  #3

A while back I did pick up the camera slingers dual harness. It basically does a decent job,but it is kind of rough around the edges; that's why I'm looming for something in the leather or at least more stylish realm.

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Canon 85mm f/1.8; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 20, 2016 19:01 |  #4

Did you see this review:
https://www.slrlounge.​com ...-derringer-rl-handcrafts/ (external link)

I was looking into this a little over a month ago and settled on the BR... just didn't want to spend the coin on the Holdfast gear. Didn't know about the RL stuff.
So that being said I really like the BR. I've used it for a runway event and then a wedding two weeks ago and it is very comfortable. The black color didn't put me off as much as I thought it would.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by joedlh.
Oct 20, 2016 19:08 |  #5

I just picked up a BlackRapid for shooting a 5k race this weekend and a marathon next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. One thing that bothers me is that they all use the tripod mount screw as a point of connection. That's a single failure point that could result in my 2 cameras tumbling along the ground at 15mph. (I bike the marathon.) Not too happy about that. I'm looking for a way to have some kind of redundancy in the connection.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Oct 21, 2016 13:09 |  #6

FYI, this is one of the ones I'm looking at:

https://rlhandcrafts.c​om/category/clydesdale​/air (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Apr 2011
New York
Oct 24, 2016 14:53 |  #7

Have you looked at the Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap?

http://www.1kindphotog​raphy.com ...l-camera-glide-strap.html (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Peak Design Capture Clip, Slide Sling, Slide Lite Strap | Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Oct 24, 2016 17:50 |  #8

I hadn't seen that one before.

To add another option to the mix, a friend showed me her Holdfast Swagger dual harness. It is the Holdfast design but using nylon straps instead of leather. It was nice and a lot less $$ than the leather. To be honest I am leaning towards the RL Handcraft's Clydesdale Air, but would like to read/view/hear more reviews. I like it's design a little better than the Holdfast's, but I like the Holdfast snap shackles better. I guess I have to pick my battles. LOL.

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Nov 29, 2016 07:23 |  #9

Though not exactly your question, here is a cheap DIY response. I use a Peak Design Slide and belt pouches. The belt is from Lowe's. It's a black, web type basic tool belt. It cost $5. When I need a second camera, I add a pair of construction suspenders ($10) and mount the camera on a Peak Design Capture Clip. The whole system can be as light and simple or as extensive as needed and, unlike Black Rapid, my cameras don't dangle from a single mounting point and the tripod socket is always available.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Nov 29, 2016 08:55 |  #10

I'd suggest borrowing these strap systems before committing $$$$.

Personally I absolutely grew tired of BR or similar dangling type of systems. If you crouch down low with a long lens your lens hood would hit the floor. The dangle of the camera is not fully fixed meaning the handgrip can potentially "not" be in the area you expect it to be. My hands were constantly stabilizing the dangling camera's. Hunting for the camera hand grip never ever happens with a spider holster.

With a 70-200 or 100-400 on my hip of my spider holster the camera hand grip is 100% in the same exact place all of the time. You can grab your camera on your hip 100% in the same location. You can use a BR shoulder strap to tether. I have hand zero handgrip/straps on my hip since using the spider holster system.

I use the op/tech neoprene neck strap pro for my primary camera. This strap alleviates the weight of the camera for an easy 12hrs of shooting.

If you do casual biking the spider holster can hold my fuji or full size dslr's. It's the versatility of the spider system that I like.

I also use thinktank modular lens bags on the spider belt. You can run/gun without even touching a backpack/camera bag since it's all on my hip.

No more pendulum camera's on my shoulder now. I can crouch down low with my 70-200 perfectly positioned.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Nov 29, 2016 11:58 |  #11

I currently have the Spider Holster (single) and do like it quite a bit. A friend has the dual setup and she likes it as well. The only beef I have with the Spider isn't even their fault. As I'm not super "hippy", I need to make the belt rather tight so it doesn't slide down off my rear end. I'd be afraid that the additional weight of a second camera setup would pull even more.

As far as the lens/hood touching the ground, I found that even with the Spider Holster, it happens. I'm not too concerned with the dangle factor as it just isn't an issue for me with the current dual harness setup I have.

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
Nov 29, 2016 12:03 |  #12

dan.k78 wrote in post #18198104 (external link)
I currently have the Spider Holster (single) and do like it quite a bit. A friend has the dual setup and she likes it as well. The only beef I have with the Spider isn't even their fault. As I'm not super "hippy", I need to make the belt rather tight so it doesn't slide down off my rear end. I'd be afraid that the additional weight of a second camera setup would pull even more.

As far as the lens/hood touching the ground, I found that even with the Spider Holster, it happens. I'm not too concerned with the dangle factor as it just isn't an issue for me with the current dual harness setup I have.

I share your anatomical malady. That's why I use a tool belt and construction suspenders to accomplish much the same thing (see my post above). And the Peak Design strap, unlike the dangle on the Black Rapid, leaves the camera very stable. You could check out Peak Design's Capture Clip (external link). It does a similar thing as the Spider in a different way. That's what I use when I need a second camera.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Nov 29, 2016 14:48 |  #13

dan.k78 wrote in post #18198104 (external link)

I find I must snug up the spider belt too. I only use it with 1 camera though. But I put my modular thinktank quick changer and extra lens. This gets a tad heavy but very little strain.

I tried the dual spider setup and my right hand dominance wants to grab a camera on my right hip. I feel I'll drop the camera on my left hand side camera body.

I absolutely hate neck straps but the Canon CPS (modified op/tech) is incredibly comfortable and so is the op/tech pro strap. What I do is remove the neoprene padding and simply loop the nylon strap when I use the camera body on my spider holster on my right hip.

Dangling straps points the 70-200 on a angle to the ground. The spider holster almost has the 70-200 parallel to the ground preventing a lot less chance of lens hood scrapes.

Anticipating your decision on your new strap setup....

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
Nov 29, 2016 15:29 |  #14

My experience is almost exactly that of AlanU.

I used the dual BR strap for years and years when they first came out. They were fine for what they were, but like AlanU said, sometimes the lens hood would hit the floor when kneeling.

Worse yet, when using a speedlight on camera, the flash would almost always scrape the floor and get scuffed, not to mention the precarious swinging when having a gripped body with heavy lenses like the 24-70 brick and 70-200 on either side with speedlights.

I recently switched to a dual spider pro system and used some Tamrac lens pouches and the spider monkeys and it has been working well for me. The camera system no longer touches the floor, although because the cameras are now on my hips instead of near my thigh, my body profile is now much wider so I have to get used to that still in terms of navigating crowds and spaces.

There is also the consideration of the appearance factor. With the dual strap, your shirt gets creased and pulled in all sorts of ways when you raise and lower each camera for hours on end. If you shoot weddings, when it is over, your shirt is mangled with sweat all over everything, including the straps which are on your body.
I also noted that with the weight of my rig, my shoulders would get red and sore at the specific parts where your shoulders are taking the weight after a 10-12 hour wedding. Since using the spider system, that no longer occurs and I feel better at the end of a day.

Mind you, the BR system is comfortable and I have nothing against it for short period of time, but it had some annoyances I mentioned that may or may not matter to you.

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
Cheektowaga, New York
Nov 30, 2016 08:41 |  #15

AlanU wrote in post #18198277 (external link)
Anticipating your decision on your new strap setup....

I'm hoping the wife gets me the RL Handcraft setup for Christmas. Fingers crossed!

sponsored links

2,930 views & 1 like for this thread
Dual harness options
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.