Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 21 Oct 2016 (Friday) 12:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Godox AD360II vs AD360

magicmikey
952 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Oct 21, 2016 12:18 |  #1

I have four of the Flashpoint Streaklight 360 units (same as the Godox AD360.) I'd like to add two more units so I have backups but I'm torn between getting the original manual units which are cheaper or the newer versions with TTL. I'm not sure I would use the TTL function that much. I have been using Canon cameras for years and have owned a 430 EX and now a 600 EX-RT and I find Canon's E-TTL system to be more finicky than I like. I wouldn't photograph an event with the speedlite in manual mode but, for off-camera studio lighting, I'm not sure it would save me much effort when having to fine tune the settings.

Other than the addition of TTL and the integrated 2.4 gHz receiver, what advantages do the newer versions offer over the original manual ones? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money for them. (I do own an X1 transmitter for Canon and have a 2.4 gHz receiver for one of my manual units so the trigger wouldn't be an issue. I can always get three additional 2.4 gHz receivers for my older units.)

sponsored links
abbadon31
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
SOCAL
Oct 21, 2016 12:29 |  #2

If you don't need TTL then I would stick with the older version and I think the 433Hz is more reliable then the new 2.4Ghz

I AM SHOM

magicmikey
THREAD ­ STARTER
952 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Oct 21, 2016 12:43 |  #3

abbadon31 wrote in post #18163021 (external link)
If you don't need TTL then I would stick with the older version and I think the 433Hz is more reliable then the new 2.4Ghz

Thanks, Shom!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Oct 21, 2016 17:57 as a reply to magicmikey's post |  #4

And if you really want to save some money, PM me.
I have 4 of the original version that I'm willing to sell.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 21, 2016 18:09 |  #5

dmward wrote in post #18163320 (external link)

Here I am avoiding the marketplace and you post this here!

Do you take anonymous internet credit?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Oct 21, 2016 18:12 |  #6

dmward wrote in post #18163320 (external link)

Hey Dave. What are you going to replace them with?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

nixland
448 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Oct 21, 2016 18:44 |  #7

magicmikey wrote in post #18163014 (external link)
I have four of the Flashpoint Streaklight 360 units (same as the Godox AD360.) I'd like to add two more units so I have backups but I'm torn between getting the original manual units which are cheaper or the newer versions with TTL. I'm not sure I would use the TTL function that much. I have been using Canon cameras for years and have owned a 430 EX and now a 600 EX-RT and I find Canon's E-TTL system to be more finicky than I like. I wouldn't photograph an event with the speedlite in manual mode but, for off-camera studio lighting, I'm not sure it would save me much effort when having to fine tune the settings.

Other than the addition of TTL and the integrated 2.4 gHz receiver, what advantages do the newer versions offer over the original manual ones? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money for them. (I do own an X1 transmitter for Canon and have a 2.4 gHz receiver for one of my manual units so the trigger wouldn't be an issue. I can always get three additional 2.4 gHz receivers for my older units.)

If you often use HSS, the AD360ii will switch automatically to hss when your ss is above max sync speed. (using X1 trigger)

hbomb69
Joined Jan 2007
Lancashire, UK
Oct 22, 2016 06:47 |  #8

I changed to the MK2 because of the HSS Thermal limit, the MK2 is 30 shots at full power compared to 10 on the MK1, as a Wedding Photographer this speeds up my workflow rather than using ND filters.
Also the new XT32c is brilliant, totally reliable...:)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.ukexternal link
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Oct 22, 2016 08:24 |  #9

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18163330 (external link)
Hey Dave. What are you going to replace them with?

I have 4 600s with H600 heads.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DigitalEd
Joined Dec 2015
Sep 25, 2017 22:32 |  #10

I have two manual 360s and just now getting HSS to work I see that the older 360s i have will only go down to 1/8 power in HSS i am told the newer ones will go all the way down in HSS. This might be a reason to go with a newer one.

dpe
142 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Wareham
Sep 26, 2017 04:30 |  #11

magicmikey wrote in post #18163014 (external link)

Definitely worth the extra money, overheat protection cuts in later, part of the X1 series, latest is an improvement working manual as well as TTL, 2.4GHz works perfectly why would you want to buy into older generation equipment?

Mike

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 26, 2017 05:29 |  #12

DigitalEd wrote in post #18460526 (external link)
I have two manual 360s and just now getting HSS to work I see that the older 360s i have will only go down to 1/8 power in HSS i am told the newer ones will go all the way down in HSS. This might be a reason to go with a newer one.

HSS setting is used to reduce the ambient light in the picture by reducing the exposure to it. Then you need also more flashlight to compensate so only going down to 1/8 defendable.

If you don't totally depend on TTL then then going for newer is not needed.

Also you can easily pre-sync, faster than x-sync, you can get the XTR16 receivers for cheap and use the X series triggers by Godox.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

jlafferty
76 posts
Joined Feb 2017
NYC
Sep 26, 2017 13:16 |  #13

We all have our own experiences and needs, and in both instances, I've found the 360 II to be worth every extra penny paid even though I have yet to use the TTL feature. I'm often ND'ing the Manual version to get below 1/8th power. I love the fact that the TTL models jump to HSS intelligently. The extended shooting before thermal protect, the faster recycle times in HSS due to being able to go lower than 1/8th, all welcome.

The only gripe I have with the TTL units? There's no beep confirm on power changes from the X1 transmitter :(

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18460637 (external link)
HSS setting is used to reduce the ambient light in the picture by reducing the exposure to it. Then you need also more flashlight to compensate so only going down to 1/8 defendable.

If you don't totally depend on TTL then then going for newer is not needed.

Also you can easily pre-sync, faster than x-sync, you can get the XTR16 receivers for cheap and use the X series triggers by Godox.

Current Portfolio (external link)

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 26 days ago by mmmfotografie.
Sep 26, 2017 14:47 as a reply to jlafferty's post |  #14

My text sandwiches yours.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

magicmikey
THREAD ­ STARTER
952 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Sep 26, 2017 22:48 |  #15

I ended up buying a pair of the AD360II (FlashPoint version) in November when Adorama did the super low price on them. (They were only $349.95 when they went on sale so the price difference was minimal.) I have only used the TTL a handful of times but it is convenient to have the receiver built-in. When I'm going for a quick setup, I use the TTL versions. When I'm doing my studio setup, I usually use the manual ones, although I've had a couple of five light setups where I used both together.

sponsored links

6,090 views & 4 likes for this thread
Godox AD360II vs AD360
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.