Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 22 Oct 2016 (Saturday) 07:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

fill in or extra senior portrait question

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Oct 22, 2016 07:05 |  #1

one of my daughter's high school band mates is a senior...

her mom was (from what it sounds like) was going to get a relative who is from the way she put it, a G.W.A.C. to shoot some senior portraits...

said relative wasn't going to be able to get to her last marching band half-time show and get images of her in her uniform...

i didnt get all of THAT information until we met at the stadium to shoot a couple of images...

what i DID get was, "I'd like to get some shot of Emily in her band uniform tonight, do you think you could shoot some?" im already shooting the band's performance and i shoot from field level, walking the periphery of the formations shooting as many of the kids as i can. i replied "sure Ill see what i can do" of course a lot of us band booster parents and kids get to the stadium WAY EARLY before the game and thats when "mom" gave me the rest of the information. when she told me she wanted a few pics she asked me how much and i said, "i shoot all of the kids, so theres no charge unless you buy prints from the zenfolio account" (all the free lo-res downloads they want are free)...

so having ZERO experience with shooting "senior portraits" or much more than "head shot" work, i came up with 3-5 poses and angles and whatnot...

"mom" says, if you put them on a disk that would be great (and honestly, im not super opposed to that idea, doing prints for a "client" is not something i have a lot of time for) but i SUPPOSE i could post the edited photos into a "client" portfolio on zenfolio and let her order prints to her hearts content but how do i go about charging for the actual time/work put into setting up the shots and doing them?

i prefer to get a location fee (not that i usually get what i think im worth since it seems all i ever get is 100% LAST MINUTE work) and then sell prints. isnt that what most senior portrait shooters get? a sitting fee of $x and then they sell prints or packages? i had my senior portraits done 34 years ago and i got a very minimal package and only because my mom wanted pictures for my grandparents and her wall...

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 11 months ago by nathancarter.
Oct 24, 2016 09:07 |  #2

You have three points here that are at odds with each other:
1) You took the photos without really discussing what the client wanted, or how much she was going to pay for them.

2) You've already let the "FREE" cat out of the bag by saying "no charge unless you buy prints from zenfolio."

3) Many of today's clients want - and expect - a high-res digital file. Print packages are rapidly becoming obsolete - many people still buy them because that's all that's offered, but who carries around a wallet full of 2x3 prints any more?

She's going to expect the high-res digital files on a disc for free. She wants to be able to look at them on her phone and put them on her computer wallpaper, and if she needs prints she expects to just get them done at Walmart. She may not even grasp the difference between the low-res free preview, and a high-res file suitable for printing. She's going to blow up the low-res file to fullscreen, or print it at 8x10, then think your photos are "bad image quality."

It's hard to come back and ask for payment after the seed of "free photos" is already planted in mom's head. I don't have any great advice on how to approach mom with the idea of "I already took the photos that we discussed, but now I'm going to ask for money."

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Oct 24, 2016 09:11 as a reply to nathancarter's post |  #3

I see your point. I see her at several things every other week or so, so I guess we'll see what comes of it all....

Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Oct 24, 2016 09:49 |  #4

Future tip, next time a parent has a "list" of photos, that changes the game from your normal shooting routine of "free" images. So when someone says "How much?" Clearly they see a value in what you offer, allow them to pay for it. Nothing wrong with taking the shots you always do, and give away for free, and charging someone who is asking for particulars.

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited 11 months ago by ksbal.
Oct 24, 2016 10:29 |  #5

Yep, there are always those that expect to get their pictures for 'free'... and then they go on to ask for more editing or more photos or on a cd and expect that for 'free' as well. Mostly they don't understand it is time out of your day, doing something else. Others are flat cheapo's.

How much are you willing to work for per hour.. then figure out your time and add some for shipping and handling and expenses. Yes, I charge a location fee, a base fee with 3 digital images + proofs. and to be honest, it isn't enough, but it does keep the 'free' people away.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Oct 24, 2016 11:32 |  #6

I had originally told my daughter (texting when SHE asked) that I shoot all of the kids for fre because I didnt know at that point, "mom" wanted "senior portrait" type photos. I thought she just wanted more of her as she was performing during half-time...

When we were done shooting I told "mom", ill send you a bill. I'm thinking 15-20 minutes of my time is worth $50...

Big ­ Frost
Joined Oct 2007
Elgin, Illinois
Oct 24, 2016 11:55 |  #7

Good, because as soon as someone asks her who took those photos of her child, and she points them to you, she would most likely include that word "free" somewhere in her response. You don't want to be labelled as the volunteer if you don't in fact want to provide everything for free.

Photos By Frost (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Hannya
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Apr 2008
UK
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Hannya.
Feb 06, 2017 11:34 |  #8

Just curious why "no charge unless you buy prints from Zenfolio"?

1. you still have to crop, adjust, save, upload to zenfolio, so why not offer digital downloads?

2. Offer digital downloads at less than prints, or offer the max file size at considerably more than a large print.

3. Don't give stuff away :-)

4. Tell parents they can get stuff from Zenfolio. Takes pressure off you, you can say "its their costs ..."

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Picsexternal link

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
Feb 06, 2017 11:44 |  #9

Hannya wrote in post #18266110 (external link)
Just curious why "no charge unless you buy prints from Zenfolio"?

1. you still have to crop, adjust, save, upload to zenfolio, so why not offer digital downloads?

2. Offer digital downloads at less than prints, or offer the max file size at considerably more than a large print.

3. Don't give stuff away :-)

4. Tell parents they can get stuff from Zenfolio. Takes pressure off you, you can say "its their costs ..."

1) in half way decent light, i'm already 90% with the work. very little editing needs to be done. the reason it was "no charge..." was because i was asked by my daughter on her friends behalf if i would take pictures of Emily. when i answered that quiry, i was under the impression those pictures were during the band performance which i do not charge for. they can download a thumbnail for social media of buy prints. the misunderstanding was corrected when we got to the game.

2) my account is now set up for that.

3) the "stuff given away" are the small low quality social media downloads. it is cleary expressed that they are low-quality for social media and that the prints are high resolution. the prints arent free.

4) i HAVE told the parents the photos are on Zenfolio...

sponsored links

3,922 views & 3 likes for this thread
fill in or extra senior portrait question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.