Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 23 Oct 2016 (Sunday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me do a "photobooth" for my daughter! Please...

jbsengineer
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 23, 2016 16:14 |  #1

Next weekend my oldest is turning 5 and she REALLY wants to do funny photos with herself and guests at a party we are having. So funny glasses, wigs, outfits, signs, etc (which we have already curated).

I am an amateur and am starting to get into more portrait style photos, but still haven't mastered them by far.

What I have:

backdrop setup (6x9) with a couple continous lights and plan to get a colorful backdrop this week
tripod
5D Mark IV
Canon 70-200 2.8/l
Canon 16-35mm 4.0/l
Canon 24-105 4.0/l
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 580ex flash

So my question is, what lens should I go with and what should my steps for focus, aperture, and shutter speed be?

Basically any tips would be excellent. I know I can take good photos, but I want to take great photos....

Josh

sponsored links
Micro5797
480 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 23, 2016 19:07 |  #2

Keep in mind that continuous lighting does not really put off as much light as it looks like it does. This will cause you to have to bump the ISO up higher then you think you will need to or open the aperture wider then you think you will need. But you have the camera and lenses for it.

With two or more people, i try to stay at least at 35mm or more to minimize distortion. If you can zoom in and get further back, avoiding getting the lights in the shot this can help improve your photos.
Any of your lenses should work for a portrait shoot. If you are like the rest of us and get a little nervous during a shoot, avoid even having your 16-35mm lens on or you will end up shooting wider then you planned.

Take your time, slow down, think about the shots, don't be in a rush. Yes i said it multiple times and ways, because this is your biggest enemy. You get nervous and end up just getting the shot how ever it may turn out. It is better to have a few great images then a lot of okay images.

Shutter speed. If you shoot at 1/250s with fairly still people you will be in good shape. If they are goofing around, 1/500s will freeze the action. You can get away with a slower shutter most of the time, but until you are really comfortable, keeping the shutter speed up will help ensure that you don't have motion blur. I would recommend getting radio triggers and start using the off camera flash in the near future. OCF Off camera flash will allow you to freeze motion at a lower shutter speed as well as keep a lower ISO.
At these shutter speeds, you shouldn't need a tripod.

Aperture. If you have people heads on about the same plane (distance from the lens, with multiple people) You should be fairly safe at F/4.5. If the group is up to two people deep F/5.6 is a safe minimum. If you just want all around aperture where you won't miss any shots, you can go with F/8, but this will require a high ISO. As you get more comfortable with portraiture, you can shoot a lot shallower depth of field (DOF). A wide aperture can take a portrait from a snapshot to a great portrait.

Try to shoot at about the same level as your kid. Avoid standing and pointing the camera down, unless you are doing an intentional shot from very high with a shallow DOF.
Avoid cutting off fingers or right at joints in the images.

For a great book on posing, look into Roberto Valenzuela's "Picture perfect posing" and PP practice. Lindsay Adler also has some great info out there. You can also get their videos from Creativelive.com

Welcome to POTN. Let us know how your shoot turns out.

jbsengineer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by jbsengineer.

Oct 24, 2016 09:20 |  #3

Fantastic information, thank you!

As far as what to focus on. Should I focus on the face closest to me? Multiple focus points or just one?

Micro5797
480 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Micro5797.

Oct 24, 2016 10:42 |  #4

jbsengineer wrote in post #18165309 (external link)
Fantastic information, thank you!

As far as what to focus on. Should I focus on the face closest to me? Multiple focus points or just one?

With focus fall off, you have more in focus behind what you focus on. Meaning if you are 3-4 people deep, focus on the second person deep and all will be in focus at about F/8. If you are shooting at F/4.5 try to have the faces on nearly the same plane, have the people in the back lean in a little, getting closer. Normally focus on the main subject or the person toward the foreground (not always the front, but closer) if in a larger group. I think the ratio is something like 1/3 front focus and 2/3 back focus from what the lens focus on. It sounds more complicated then it really is.

Always focus on the face and if you are close enough, focus on the nearest eye.

Here a quick Google found this post with good picture examples.
http://www.melissajill​.com/blog.cfm?postID=1​321& (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,825 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by DreDaze.

Oct 24, 2016 14:23 |  #5

if you're talking like a photobooth...i'd put the camera on a tripod...use the 24-105mm with the flash mounted up to bounce off the ceiling...stop the lens down a bit, figure out what focal length works...set a spot, focus, put it in MF, get a remote, and let the kids fire them off themselves...you can put a piece of tape on the ground as a guide on where to stand

it'll end up being more fun for the kids, and no stress on you...unless you're worried someone will knock over your camera

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

jbsengineer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 25, 2016 20:32 |  #6

DreDaze wrote in post #18165579 (external link)
if you're talking like a photobooth...i'd put the camera on a tripod...use the 24-105mm with the flash mounted up to bounce off the ceiling...stop the lens down a bit, figure out what focal length works...set a spot, focus, put it in MF, get a remote, and let the kids fire them off themselves...you can put a piece of tape on the ground as a guide on where to stand

it'll end up being more fun for the kids, and no stress on you...unless you're worried someone will knock over your camera

That is an amazing idea, except as you pointed out I'm worried about the camera! Maybe in a couple more years!!

jbsengineer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 25, 2016 20:33 |  #7

Thanks for all your feedback. I definitely feel like I'm more prepared. If it turns out well I will post some pics from the party!!

jbsengineer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 26, 2016 20:01 |  #8

DreDaze wrote in post #18165579 (external link)

So my photobooth idea has just spilled over to an adult halloween party later that night.

So if I were to do the remote setup. What would you suggest for auto-focus settings for giving people a remote?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,825 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 26, 2016 22:00 as a reply to  @ jbsengineer's post |  #9

I'd prefocus before hand on a person- put a piece of tape on the floor so people know where to stand later, and just switch it to MF...you want to stop down for DOF, after a couple drinks it's a bit harder to stay on that line

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Micro5797
480 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 26, 2016 22:11 |  #10

Sorry, i missed the whole part about "photo booth". I was thinking that you were doing a little on set studio shoot with a backdrop, props and hand held.

sponsored links

1,509 views & 2 likes for this thread
Help me do a "photobooth" for my daughter! Please...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.