Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Oct 2016 (Saturday) 14:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?

oharing
494 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Miami, FL
Oct 29, 2016 14:48 |  #1

I am a wedding photographer. After a long day of shooting a wedding I am just so tired of having my cameras on straps around my neck.

I saw some people use camera straps around the shoulder which puts the weight on the shoulder rather than the neck area....

Do you use them? Which one would you recommend? How about HoldFast camera straps?

Thanks so much!

Miami Wedding Photographersexternal link

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
2,687 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Oct 29, 2016 15:04 |  #2

I use a couple of products but generally I prefer a wide, bandolier (sling style) strap that distributes the weight over a large area. I often carry 2 bodies with the straps criss-crossed all day without any issue of fatigue. I am presently using the PeakDesign Slide model. It is such an excellent strap but I do not have total confidence in the quick release tabs. They can wear quickly and although I keep an eye on them and replace them when they look worn I still always wonder if they are a disaster waiting to happen. There is a small US-based company called UPstrap that produces some of the best straps I have ever used. They offer a bandolier strap as well. It is slightly more narrow than the PeakDesign offering but it is still comfortable and the QR attachments are absolutely foolproof. I have one that has been in service for about 10 years. The rest of their designs are excellent as well. They have straps for both cameras and bags that you can wear on your shoulder without fear of having them slip off - and they work. I hope that helps you out.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

98kellrs
Joined Oct 2012
Perth, Australia
Oct 29, 2016 16:29 |  #3

I have a Holdfast Gear Camera Swagg (Same as the money maker just not leather) and it's A-mazing! The weight is much more evenly distributed and even with two FF's and a 24-70 & 70-200 you dont get the same fatigue as with regular straps. Plus they're both easily within reach at a moments notice.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Oct 30, 2016 01:15 |  #4

I had a black rapid double strap, but switched to a Spiderholster instead.

the spider holster mounts on your belt, and allows you to go strapless - all the weight is kept on your waist not your neck/shoulders.

it takes a little getting used to (to get over fear of dropping the cameras or the pins falling out) but is well worth the effort.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,841 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Oct 30, 2016 05:32 |  #5

Black Rapid Double R with two Peak Design Capture Pro clips. I shoot with four bodies. 2x 5D3 + 2x Son A7 series.

Peter

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by mystik610. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 30, 2016 07:31 |  #6

Those shoulder slings are a quick way to ruin your gear banging it into something...I know...I've done it. The camera swings too freely on those things.

I use capture clips to holster the cameras at my waist. Much steadier, takes the weight completely off of your neck and back, less bulk since there's no strap, and still very quick to access.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by kf095.
Oct 31, 2016 11:08 |  #7

Before I quit on using of heavy FF, griped DSLR, lens gear for several hours on events I used https://www.cottoncarr​ier.com ...roducts/ccs-camera-vest-2 (external link)
One camera and L lens on chest, one camera and L on the belt. Easy and fast, but secure lock, unlock and safety harness is also provided.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 27, 2017 21:19 |  #8

mystik610 wrote in post #18170903 (external link)
Those shoulder slings are a quick way to ruin your gear banging it into something...I know...I've done it. The camera swings too freely on those things.

I use capture clips to holster the cameras at my waist. Much steadier, takes the weight completely off of your neck and back, less bulk since there's no strap, and still very quick to access.

If that's the peak design style, it holds the camera in the same position as the Spiderpro camera holster ... which I own (double). It's hard not to bang camera and lens indoors going through a hall and limits pushing the bodies forward or back. For that exact reason, i'm considering Holdfast Money Maker because that style allows temporary moving of the cameras forward and back.

I will keep my camera holster for primarily outdoor use, but want straps indoors. Deciding on whether to get the double, or added triple camera option.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 27, 2017 22:59 |  #9

mdvaden wrote in post #18482784 (external link)
If that's the peak design style, it holds the camera in the same position as the Spiderpro camera holster ... which I own (double). It's hard not to bang camera and lens indoors going through a hall and limits pushing the bodies forward or back. For that exact reason, i'm considering Holdfast Money Maker because that style allows temporary moving of the cameras forward and back.

I will keep my camera holster for primarily outdoor use, but want straps indoors. Deciding on whether to get the double, or added triple camera option.

Thats why I use both the peak design and the holdfast. The downside to the holdfast is that cameras swing around too freely...so there's a risk of banging them into something.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 28, 2017 01:17 |  #10

mystik610 wrote in post #18482839 (external link)
Thats why I use both the peak design and the holdfast. The downside to the holdfast is that cameras swing around too freely...so there's a risk of banging them into something.

Are you familiar with the RL Handcrafts harness? I just learned about that brand today, and it's making the choice a bit tougher. Looks very similar in some respects ot Holdfast. Clips are different and a few other variation in design. Both look like they should be good quality. Price is close.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Oct 29, 2017 09:45 |  #11

Another vote for Cotton Carrier. Love em.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 29, 2017 09:48 |  #12

Echo63 wrote in post #18170789 (external link)
I had a black rapid double strap, but switched to a Spiderholster instead.

the spider holster mounts on your belt, and allows you to go strapless - all the weight is kept on your waist not your neck/shoulders.

it takes a little getting used to (to get over fear of dropping the cameras or the pins falling out) but is well worth the effort.

I had a BR double as well. The cameras swung around too much for my liking. I had to devise as way to keep them attached to my waist which was a pain. This was about 5 years ago and I stopped using it. In an non busy environment like an air show it is good.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

PhotosGuy
74,826 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 29, 2017 09:58 |  #13

I usually have it on the shoulder, but hang it so that it's in front of me, especially with the 70-200.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 24 days ago by mdvaden.
Oct 29, 2017 10:46 |  #14

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18483797 (external link)
I usually have it on the shoulder, but hang it so that it's in front of me, especially with the 70-200.

I will use my spiderpro outdoors, and the Holdfast moneymaker I ordered yesterday indoors or outside. But it's evident that another single strap may be in order too. I'm planning to stick with photography for a long time, so none of my purchases should be a waste.

The practicality of hanging shoulder or neck like you mentioned is why I did not buy the 3 camera design from Holdfast. I figured a 3rd camera may as well be on it's own strap, offering a similar 3rd camera carry, but providing a 2nd piece of gear instead of just being a mere detachment.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 29, 2017 10:51 |  #15

Holdfast sure makes nice stuff. I almost got one.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

2,769 views & 2 likes for this thread
Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.