Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Oct 2016 (Saturday) 14:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 29, 2017 11:28 |  #16

mdvaden wrote in post #18482784 (external link)
If that's the peak design style, it holds the camera in the same position as the Spiderpro camera holster ... which I own (double). It's hard not to bang camera and lens indoors going through a hall and limits pushing the bodies forward or back. For that exact reason, i'm considering Holdfast Money Maker because that style allows temporary moving of the cameras forward and back.

I will keep my camera holster for primarily outdoor use, but want straps indoors. Deciding on whether to get the double, or added triple camera option.

Just looked them up. Really nice looking!

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 20 days ago by mdvaden.
Oct 29, 2017 20:13 |  #17

mystik610 wrote in post #18483873 (external link)
Just looked them up. Really nice looking!

The RL Handcrafters is probably nicer looking, but holdfast looks nice too. A main difference is the back cross piece, but most of the time, people will be facing the photographer. and as far as looks go, both brands seem good. I went with Holdfast because the owner provides a lot more useful information online and the product still looks sharp.

Another tough choice for me was color. I liked the Chestnut, but went for Tan in the end. Arrives in a couple days, and I can try it out during a wedding at the coast redwoods soon.

Holdfast posts good explanatory videos which are short and to the point like this one below ...

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 29, 2017 20:24 as a reply to mdvaden's post |  #18

One more on how the Holdfast Money Maker works with up to three cameras ...

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 02, 2017 01:33 |  #19

digital paradise wrote in post #18483832 (external link)
Holdfast sure makes nice stuff. I almost got one.

Harness arrived today. More comfortable that I expected, and the cameras raise up nicely to take photos landscape or portrait from either camera.
The hardware is a bit tougher to get used to than anticipated, but it snaps tight so rock solid, the extra safety straps are hardly necessary.

The Money Maker is greatly superior to my Spiderpro holdster when walking indoors, but I can tell they will both be useful.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,078 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Nov 02, 2017 01:35 |  #20

mdvaden wrote in post #18486688 (external link)
Harness arrived today. More comfortable that I expected, and the cameras raise up nicely to take photos landscape or portrait from either camera.
The hardware is a bit tougher to get used to than anticipated, but it snaps tight so rock solid, the extra safety straps are hardly necessary.

The Money Maker is greatly superior to my Spiderpro holdster when walking indoors, but I can tell they will both be useful.

Thanks for the update.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 17, 2017 20:18 |  #21

digital paradise wrote in post #18483832 (external link)
Holdfast sure makes nice stuff. I almost got one.

So I got the Holdfast early this month and used it for a redwood wedding near the coast. It's more comfortable than expected.

My conclusion after one use is that it's one more tool in the drawer and no one strap will probably suffice. I will use the Spiderpro too, which will be best if fast movement is needed like a very fast walk. But I don't run or fast walk often.

I realized right away that the snap can't just be done physically. It's got to be visual. I didn't get the pin all the way through and my camera dropped to the soft needles. Now I'm 100% certain that if the snaps are fully done to where it's visually evident too, a safety strap is almost of no need. So I will use the safety straps over pavement, concrete and hard floors, or bridges over water. But I don't think the safety straps are needed over carpet and soft earth.

Our son is working on code for a new website for me and asked for some photos. Since I didn't really have anythng recent other than forest, I took a few shots tonight with the harness.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,078 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 18 hours ago by digital paradise.
Nov 18, 2017 00:57 |  #22

Not to say anything bad about BlackRapid and others the Holdfast has a touch of classic. Looks professional.

Image Editing OK

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
19 hours ago |  #23

digital paradise wrote in post #18498956 (external link)
Not to say anything bad about BlackRapid and and others the Holdfast has a touch of classic. Looks professional.

That's the key thing with the hold fast. When shooting weddings I try to dress nicely since I'm really visible throughout the day and it's a formal event. The hold fast is stylish and helps me look more presentable.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 16 hours ago by mdvaden.
16 hours ago |  #24

digital paradise wrote in post #18498956 (external link)
Not to say anything bad about BlackRapid and others the Holdfast has a touch of classic. Looks professional.

I would use the Spiderpro indoors if there's tight halls or doorways for certain, but it's look leans "tactical" whereas the holdfast looks stylish.

It's worth noting, I bought my Holdfast through a 3rd party supplier because I was shopping for a way to get one shipped in two days for the redwood wedding I had scheduled ealier this November. There was one little ring missing that goes on the camera body for the safety to attach too. It wouldn't be a hard replacement since it's the size of a key ring.

Just before I left, Holdfast followed up on a previous email I sent inquiring about delivery dates when I was shopping-around. I told them I found a two-day solution through the other seller, but noted the missing ring. Even though Holdfast didn't sell or ship my model, they sent me the missing part. And not just one, but 4 of them. That trends with why I chose Holdfast when chosing between similar product makers.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,078 posts
Joined Oct 2009
16 hours ago |  #25

Tactical is exactly how I would describe it. I stopped shooting events so I decided not to invest in it. The only thing I wondered was about comfort as leather takes time break in but that was answered.

Image Editing OK

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
16 hours ago |  #26

The Holdfast stuff looks like something you'd use in a bondage session. :rolleyes:

I like the Black Rapid Sport. And to those that mentioned how the Black Rapid allows too much swing......they come with limiters on the strap that you can place anywhere you like to reduce or in fact eliminate swinging.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,078 posts
Joined Oct 2009
16 hours ago |  #27

saea501 wrote in post #18499109 (external link)
The Holdfast stuff looks like something you'd use in a bondage session. :rolleyes:

Well now I'm going to get one.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

2,518 views & 2 likes for this thread
Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.