Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 31 Oct 2016 (Monday) 11:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any birds for you in Texas?

recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by recrisp. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 31, 2016 11:05 |  #1

I haven't seen birds at my feeders in well over a month, I'm starting to panic! I haven't been in this house but for a few months, so I don't know this area, (I now live in Paris, Texas) I did live in Irving, Texas, I knew the schedule there, and from what I remember there was a big lull in having birds at my feeders or actually even when I went out to look for them.
So, Texans, if you live anywhere especially around Dallas or North/East of there, what are you seeing?
When I say above Dallas because down around the coast from what I can tell there is no slowdown at all, I could be wrong though, far West of me in the more arid areas would be a completely different climate too.

I worry about this every year 'cause I don't want to live IF there aren't any birds around, you probably know what I mean, but this time it's been especially bad.

For instance, when I first moved into the Paris location in May I had more birds than I ever had in Irving, not just that, but I had the following that I have never seen in Irving before.
Brown Thrashers (We had a pair that stayed for a long time)
White-breasted Nuthatch (There was a pair here for a couple of months)

I had a LOT of Downy Woodpeckers and only a few Red-bellied Woodpeckers, I still see them from time to time though, but they never come to my feeder, which they used to hog.
This time of year I do know there is plenty for them to eat, but still, somebody please make me feel better, these long dry spells are killing me, and I have so much going on right now I can't take a trip, so it's really bad. :)

Thanks, and I hope it's better for you than it is for me.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,415 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Tol Eressea
Oct 31, 2016 19:53 |  #2

Maybe you need to add a good water feature of some sort. There used to be a great shooter here, Ajo Steve who had a natural spring in a very very dry area, the birds would come there regularly, you may already have one but if not, the bigger more natural the better, just a thought....

1DX, 400/f2.8 and other Canon gear
The shadow of a feather is one of the goals

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Oct 31, 2016 19:58 |  #3

Might be the weather too. It's quite a bit warmer than normal, and migrations have been weak, I think. I read that Bosque del Apache populations are down for this time of the year.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Oct 31, 2016 20:06 |  #4

Oldjackssparrows wrote in post #18172412 (external link)
Maybe you need to add a good water feature of some sort. There used to be a great shooter here, Ajo Steve who had a natural spring in a very very dry area, the birds would come there regularly, you may already have one but if not, the bigger more natural the better, just a thought....

That may be part of it too. In my other house I had a fairly large pond in my backyard, I had several water features too, so they did help to attract birds, and actually wildlife in general.
We haven't had the time to get one set up here though, but there will definitely be a pond, I do have water out there for them, but still, no birds.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Oct 31, 2016 20:08 |  #5

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18172417 (external link)
Might be the weather too. It's quite a bit warmer than normal, and migrations have been weak, I think. I read that Bosque del Apache populations are down for this time of the year.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking, but was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing that.
I have been out front handing out candy to the kids and it was in the 80's and I had to use bug spray, so you're probably right. :)

Thank you!

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Nov 01, 2016 06:33 |  #6

Possible raptor(s) taken up residence in you area?

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by recrisp.
Nov 01, 2016 08:49 |  #7

ardeekay wrote in post #18172702 (external link)
Possible raptor(s) taken up residence in you area?

No, at least not that I am aware of and I watch outside like a hawk! heheh I have not seen a hawk or anything around here, not even in the neighborhood.
We did have a couple of Mississippi Kites that nested close by this Spring and Summer but they are predatory, but I really just wanted to brag that they were here. :)
At my old house we had a Coopers that came by regularly and also a Red-tailed hawk, and sometimes a Sharp-shin, so we definitely had those and while they would get something occasionally, the birds knew how to deal with it, they would return in a short time.
I did not mention that I do have a LOT of sparrows left here, I don't think about them so I forgot to say something about them, that's my luck, the good birds packed up and left and leave me with sparrows. heheh.
Really I believe that it's either a natural phenomenon like just something weather related, or something more sinister like UFO bird abductions. :) I do seem to remember this every year, but this year just stood out as extra 'birdless' to me, now that nobody else is saying that it's happening to them it REALLY has me concerned.
Up until a month or so ago I could not keep my feeders full enough I had so many (good) birds, so it's just weird.

We do have a few cats, not feral but people that think we all want their cats outside and go through garbage cans and kill our birds, but I had that probably at my old house. My house now is in a small town and I am close to the country so people tend to think differently about their pets believing that they 'should' let them out.
(Sorry, just a little rant about that)

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

Michael ­ Rumsey
Joined Jan 2015
Richardson, TX
Nov 01, 2016 09:31 |  #8

I've been having some of the same issues but then realized that this is the time of year for all the berries and seeds to be popping up naturally in our area. I've seen some of the birds ignoring the "premium seed mix" I provide (the little ingrates...grumble) for the berries on the privet bushes in my area.

"He's Just This Guy, You Know?"

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Nov 01, 2016 11:11 as a reply to Michael Rumsey's post |  #9

That's what I was saying too in the beginning that they have enough wild food to eat.
Where are you located, (If I might ask) are you also in Texas?
Now they're saying that we may not have a Fall hardly, the weather people say that anyway, I sure hope they're wrong. :-)

Thank you!

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

ardeekay
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2010
Peoria, Il. and Port Aransas, Tx
Nov 01, 2016 13:44 as a reply to recrisp's post |  #10

Maybe it's your personality, randy.;-)a

And would you please have this weather thing straightened out by the first of the year when we get down to Port A? :-D

Rog
Gear:7Dll 7D 40D 24-105 4L, 70-200 4L, 300 4L IS, 85 1.8, 1.4 TC, Tamron18-270VC, Sigma 150-600 OS 430EX II

Michael ­ Rumsey
Joined Jan 2015
Richardson, TX
Nov 01, 2016 13:51 |  #11

recrisp wrote in post #18172894 (external link)
That's what I was saying too in the beginning that they have enough wild food to eat.
Where are you located, (If I might ask) are you also in Texas?
Now they're saying that we may not have a Fall hardly, the weather people say that anyway, I sure hope they're wrong. :-)

Thank you!

Randy

Yep. I'm down the road a piece from you in Richardson.

"He's Just This Guy, You Know?"

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Nov 01, 2016 15:00 |  #12

ardeekay wrote in post #18173008 (external link)
Maybe it's your personality, randy.;-)a

And would you please have this weather thing straightened out by the first of the year when we get down to Port A? :-D

My personality AND my breath! heheh

I'll do what I can for you, I actually meant to ask you which location you are at. I am SURE that you won't have any problems down there though. :)

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Nov 01, 2016 15:02 |  #13

Michael Rumsey wrote in post #18173013 (external link)
Yep. I'm down the road a piece from you in Richardson.

Well then that's two of us, that's probably all it is, or at least I sure hope so, it'd my MY bad luck that I have offended them in some way. :)

Thanks!

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Nov 07, 2016 09:06 |  #14

Well, still no birds...
Day before yesterday I did see a female Cardinal and a Bluejay, and also a Titmouse, all at the same time, I just looked out of my bedroom window and they saw me and scattered.
I have not seen a thing since, I'm here all of the time too since I'm retired, so there is nothing going on.

I was hoping for some Fall shots of them in the pretty leaves at this new house, but we don't have any color here yet either, which is way late, weird times. -?:cry::rolleyes::-|;-)a

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

recrisp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by recrisp.
Nov 08, 2016 14:26 as a reply to recrisp's post |  #15

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

I just was watching birds in the tall trees in my backyard with binoculars, the birds are coming! :)

Within just 10 minutes or less actually I saw the below.

Red-bellied Woodpeckers (2)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (I know it was a Creeper but it looked slightly lighter than I remember, I haven't looked it up)
Tufted Titmouse
Chickadee (a few actually)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Early for it as far as I know)
Some unknown possibly female bird that was probably a Warbler of some kind, I am not up on my Warblers.
I'd take pictures but it's really cloudy and dim and they are pretty high for the most part.

Hey! It's a start, it makes me feel a LOT better, it's horrible not having birds around, they are still not at my feeders, well, the Nuthatch did fly in once while I was sitting there. :)

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,474 views & 10 likes for this thread
Any birds for you in Texas?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.