Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 01 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 10:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Using a Tilt-Shift for a large group?

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Dec 01, 2016 10:55 |  #1

I'm the owner of a Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens which I mostly use for architecture. I'd like to start using it for photographing large groups of people. While it seems possible to use tilt to keep the faces of an entire group of people in focus, I can't seem to find any examples of this actually being done. I don't want to "try" this for the first time with paying clients so I haven't had the chance to try it myself.

So, for those of you who have done this, can you please enlighten me, show some examples, etc.?

I'd like to know if this is realistically possible or just hypothetically possible.

Thank you,
Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Alveric.
Dec 02, 2016 00:00 |  #2

That's my go-to lens for group shots, and I've used shift for plenty of them. Tilt, however, I haven't. It requires very careful and precise movements, and careful placement of subjects. So far, I haven't found a single group that has had the patience to stand there till I get it right.

Besides, shooting at f/8 or f/11 makes the use of the Scheimpflug Principle kind of moot with a wide angle. Now, a longer lens is a whole different animal.

I know that really doesn't answer your question, but when it comes to work, practicality trumps fiddling. Now, you get 20+ people willingly to hold still for you to practice, I'll be tempted to envy you.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

F2Bthere
706 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Dec 02, 2016 01:41 |  #3

If there is setup to be done for a group shot, I think it is wiser to do it before they show up. :)

Let's say they will be on bleachers. Set up your camera on a tripod, have your assistant sit in the center and focus. Then they can move to various positions while you get it right.

If it were me, I would find practice situations (sporting events, crowds) and work out the details.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

2,966 views & 1 like for this thread
Using a Tilt-Shift for a large group?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.