Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 06 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 18:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Interiors photography by Interior Designers

kimsmithphoto
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2016
Buffalo NEW YORK, USA
Dec 06, 2016 18:47 |  #1

Any interior designers / architects out there turned interiors / architectural photographer?

IMAGE: http://s3-img.pixpa.com/com/1200/13484/1480449679-52849-griffin.jpeg

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://www.kimsmithpho​to.com (external link)

sponsored links
Lt ­ Colonel
Joined Dec 2013
Just out of range.
Dec 06, 2016 19:22 |  #2

Well done..

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 1DMK3,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

NateRQ
223 posts
Joined Mar 2013
Seattle
Dec 07, 2016 01:41 |  #3

Great shots!

Flickrexternal link Nathan Ronquillo
http://www.nathanronqu​illo.com/external link
5DMIII Sigma 35mm 1.4 Canon 85mm 1.8 Canon 24-105mm f/4 Canon 135mm f 2

mltn
Joined Sep 2010
Dec 07, 2016 14:58 |  #4

kimsmithphoto wrote in post #18205509 (external link)
Any interior designers / architects out there turned interiors / architectural photographer?

That's a good question, also curious to know (I'm not).

Your work is lovely, would you mind sharing some insight as to why you made the transition, and what that experience was like? I'm sure you had many connections already in place from your design experience, which would be very helpful in building a good roster of clients.

If you are willing to elaborate on those questions, could you also tell us what your experience working with photographers was like, when you were the designer? We don't get a lot of that perspective in these forums, so I'm sure many folks would appreciate it.

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Dec 08, 2016 12:01 |  #5

I am a project manager for an architecture firm...graduated with my Bachelors and Masters in Architecture...just never finished the exams...and I do all of our photography for projects and some for clients too...and am starting to do more...I think it adds an understanding of spaces and architecture/design that someone without the background would not have...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by thc1979.
Dec 08, 2016 14:58 |  #6

TRhoads wrote in post #18207116 (external link)
I am a project manager for an architecture firm...graduated with my Bachelors and Masters in Architecture...just never finished the exams...and I do all of our photography for projects and some for clients too...and am starting to do more...I think it adds an understanding of spaces and architecture/design that someone without the background would not have...

Couldn't agree more. I have done some interiors for clients but always felt I was missing the point somewhere, although the images were accepted without any negative comments. Someone who knows about architecture and the best way to show it off is in a far better position. In some ways you need someone like that there to direct.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Dec 08, 2016 15:01 |  #7

I'd also love to know how these images were lit, they're very good.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

jayarrG7
Joined Sep 2010
US
Dec 10, 2016 14:43 |  #8

Wonderful rendering. Also interested in what your lighting setup includes.

flowrider
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Dec 10, 2016 16:23 |  #9

Great photos. 3 different shots 3 different cameras and lenses?

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Paul.C
Joined Dec 2016
DFW,TX
Dec 20, 2016 17:52 |  #10

Nice job on keeping the walls true and straight. Nothing bothers me more than someone who uses a wide angle lens and doesn't know what they are doing and show interiors with walls like /__\

Photographer/Retoucher​/Artist/Nerd
www.paulcerbonephotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Trespassing in South Florida
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Nick3434.
Dec 23, 2016 15:59 |  #11

Hi Kim, I have a marble and granite company and our work is all "designer" work and I work with designers regularly on designs based on that. I realized How my pics were not doing it justice with my canon P and S, so I went on the internet and learned I needed an slr, and from there I just kinda got into photography and of course upgraded a lot from the Xsi I started with. So I got into photography because I am in the interiors trade, and frankly if money wasn't a factor, I would love to turn, which of course makes a vast assumption I could even get good enough to haha. Anyway, I think being in the trade helps with how you see rooms instead of just capturing them. I would share a few but I am not sure if this is a thread for similar people out there to say hi and share or not, I don't want to have bad etiquette....

Really nice work, and the first thing I learned was keep verticals correct. I agree with Paul on that, it jumps out at me and ruins it when a photo has bad verticals, although I found I needed a 14 sometimes to get bathrooms and capturing my work is priority 1 and sometimes I just can't get that small space keep everything perfect. Because I am on jobs, a tripod really is also unrealistic for my conditions of "stealing" a few and often the jobs are not 100%, so lots of challenges. I also think it is fun to make creative shots of interiors because you so rarely see it.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

jaredcwood
Joined Dec 2012
Philadelphia
Apr 18, 2017 19:26 |  #12

flowrider wrote in post #18209035 (external link)
Great photos. 3 different shots 3 different cameras and lenses?

Yes that's very interesting.

JaredCWood.com (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon 77D 2x
16-35 2.8L, 24-70 IIL, 70-200 2.8L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
580ex, 430ex IIIRT 2x, 430ex

sponsored links

2,664 views & 11 likes for this thread
Interiors photography by Interior Designers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.