Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 06 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 21:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is it over for Photomatix?

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,696 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Aug 09, 2017 03:42 |  #16

icor1031 wrote in post #18422877 (external link)
Why does it need to support specific cameras?

Photomatix is a 3rd party offering so without proprietary access to the RAW file, conversion/support has to be written into the program after a new RAW release (if they are written in at all). It is the same with Adobe. A new camera typically isn't supported upon release by Camera RAW. It is added post-release.

From the Photomatix site:

'If your camera model is recent, you may have to wait for a future version of Photomatix before it supports RAW files from your new camera.

The best way to check whether RAW files from your camera are supported is to try Photomatix with your RAW files. There is also a list of camera models supported by Photomatix Pro and Essentials, but it isn't exhaustive, which means that the latest Photomatix version may still support RAW files from your camera even if it is not on this list.'

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Aug 09, 2017 04:05 |  #17

icor1031 wrote in post #18422877 (external link)
Why does it need to support specific cameras?

It doesn't. But if the manufacturer brings out a new RAW format, Photomatix will have to bring out and upsate.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Ascenta.
Aug 09, 2017 09:54 |  #18

Photoshop HDR function doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking about buying this; my 5D4 is supported. Could be worth the $99?

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
THREAD ­ STARTER
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,992 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Aug 10, 2017 07:23 |  #19

Ascenta wrote in post #18423068 (external link)
Photoshop HDR function doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking about buying this; my 5D4 is supported. Could be worth the $99?

In CC, the newer / better panorama is excellent. Miles above the app I used for years (PTGui). However, I believe you are correct about the PS HDR feature. It's really lacking, and IMHO, complete crap. They got a long way to go on that one. So yea, if you do a lot of HDR it's worth the investment. If you're shooting multiple exposures, another alternative is luminosity masking. There are many good apps on the market now that make it easy to do.

Website (external link) |

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,407 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Aug 10, 2017 18:46 |  #20

As mentioned elsewhere in this forum a little while ago, the ability to merge to HDR in PS and then use the Camera Raw filter to tone map has been disabled in the most recent CC versions of PS. I have no idea why. If you want to use PS for HDR, you are probably better off shooting your source images in raw and using the ACR interface to merge the raws to a HDR DNG. Then you can use the ACR interface to tone map and avoid the Merge to HDR Pro interface altogether.

Photomatix 6 has a lot of options, a lot of control and can produce excellent results - however, it can easily produce horrible results. Download the trial and see if it suits your needs.

kirk

Kirk
---

3,631 views & 4 likes for this thread
Is it over for Photomatix?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.