Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds
Thread started 08 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 09:59
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Eagle vs 200 crows

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Dec 08, 2016 09:59 |  #1

Vying for food? Lots here, cattle carcasses in a field, dumped way back of the abbatoir at a local cattle farm. Just a doc shot as it was maybe 400 yards away.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5615/30660613913_0a7a65cdd0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NHnE​jn] (external link)IMG_2545 Eagle at abbatoir (external link) by Ian Murray (external link), on Flickr

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Dec 08, 2016 10:55 |  #2

Those look like ravens to me; then again, I'm even farther away than 400 metres.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,189 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Dec 08, 2016 12:08 |  #3

Was wondering what I was looking at. Thought they were baskets at first. Also had to look up abbattior. Learning everyday.

flickr (external link)

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Dec 08, 2016 16:55 |  #4

Alveric wrote in post #18207073 (external link)
Those look like ravens to me; then again, I'm even farther away than 400 metres.

Yep, crows, ravens, likely some of each.

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18207129 (external link)
Was wondering what I was looking at. Thought they were baskets at first. Also had to look up abbattior. Learning everyday.

Yea, kinda gross if you ask me. I wouldn't make a good farmer.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :

Ramon ­ Fregoso
31 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dec 10, 2016 21:41 |  #5

I can imagine the smell!

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2010
State of Washington
Dec 10, 2016 22:57 |  #6

Wow

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF70-200 f4L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,806 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Dec 10, 2016 23:27 |  #7

Wallace River wrote in post #18207410 (external link)
Yep, crows, ravens, likely some of each.

Yea, kinda gross if you ask me. I wouldn't make a good farmer.

Most "farms" would not have anything even beginning to resemble that on it's premises..
Quite a sight!

When I first opening the thread I thought I was looking at 1970's Cambodia.. sorry but I';m not kidding.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Grizz1
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Northeast Missouri
Dec 11, 2016 10:12 |  #8

Yes, WOW, apparently regulations do differ from one area to another. I can see this image finding it's way to a courtroom where I live.
Is this a year round practice or only during winter months?
I'm also puzzled on their butchering practices that would leave behind a scene like this one, interesting.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Dec 11, 2016 11:06 as a reply to Grizz1's post |  #9

I have never seen him do it this way before. But in the past years, he has dumped entrails out into a field right beside the road for eagles in the winter time only, when it is frozen. I wonder if maybe he's planning on burying this bunch of bones.

Oldjackssparrows
Jeeeez, incredible comments!
13,430 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Tol Eressea
Dec 11, 2016 12:41 |  #10

Looks like the pickens are starting to thin out a bit, that would be strange for someone like me never seeing something like this I would have to ask permission to plant a nice perch nearby lol.

1DX, 400/f2.8 and other Canon gear
The shadow of a feather is one of the goals

Wallace ­ River
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Wallace, Nova Scotia
Dec 11, 2016 13:50 |  #11

Oldjackssparrows wrote in post #18209804 (external link)
Looks like the pickens are starting to thin out a bit, that would be strange for someone like me never seeing something like this I would have to ask permission to plant a nice perch nearby lol.

Generally this farmer is very courteous and open with photographers, and is known in the community as encouraging eagles to hang out at his farm. He invited me to drive right into a back field he has on another road where he sometimes dumps offal. He has, or had, one juvenile eagle trained to swoop in and grab a kidney or something when he threw it up in the air over his head.

Beekeeper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Dec 11, 2016 18:09 |  #12

There used to be a field near me like this. Cattle farmer would have 25 or so cows butchered and would have the bones put in an area of his property not visible to the public. I had permission to hunt the property, so he told me about it. Saw a lot of crows there and sometimes a hungry Red-tailed hawk, but no eagles.

Zach--C&C is welcome on my photos
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/46367607@N06/ (external link)
7DI Body Gripped|7DII Gripped|EF 85mm1.8|EF 50mm1.4|EF 100mm2.8L IS Macro|EF-S 10-22mm|EF 400mm5.6L|430EXII|580E​XII

sponsored links

1,680 views & 7 likes for this thread
Eagle vs 200 crows
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.