Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 09 Dec 2016 (Friday) 14:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Paint to use on Models

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 09, 2016 14:33 |  #1

So I am not really sure where to put this. I am planning a shoot where we intend to pour and place paint on nude female models. I am trying to find safe paint to use. Small bottles of body paint that are meant for airbrushing is kind of out of the question due to cost. I think we would be ok using Tempera paint, but honestly not sure that is the best option. We have 6 models for the shoot so we need a good amount of paint.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking there might be a way to take the paint powder and mix it to make a thicker liquid paint but have not found any info online with regards to that. And most searches turn up ways to do paint splashes, which is not what we are doing.

Thanks for any insight and help.

sponsored links
recrisp
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Paris, Texas
Dec 10, 2016 19:32 |  #2

I am not an expert but I do know that certain colors even in acrylic paints can be toxic, (especially reds) so I would maybe start there. Red is a fairly toxic paint in painters acrylics, even doing paintings they are supposed to be used with caution, well, they used to, I have not kept up with that for years now.
All I'm really bringing up is to make sure to check to see how safe it is, that's all, some stuff can be scary.
I always thought that the woman from Goldfinger (James Bond) would end up crippled or something after they spray painted her, but years later I read that they did use a certain type of non-toxic paint on her, or at least that's what I read. :)
Although tempera paints sound like they may be non-toxic I am not so sure, they are mostly made with egg, I believe, so that may be fine but the tinting may not be non-toxic.

I would either check with these people or read their site, they are safety conscious and they are like hippies so they may be able to help out in one way or another. :)
http://www.dharmatradi​ng.com ...om-dharma-trading-co.html (external link)

The bad part is that you need a lot, that would automatically make me think, "cheap house paint!", heheh, but that may not be a good idea, although it's the stronger pigments in the paints that are more than likely the culprits in the toxicity department.
There was some guys that did this in the last few years in the Nude Forum that used large amounts of paint, I believe, I say, "believe" because I am unsure as to what they used, but they appeared to be using a thick latex looking paint, I sure might be wrong about that though. Maybe somebody else will remember which ones I mean.\

Good luck!

Randy

Gear List
flickr (external link)

blooninja
39 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Dec 10, 2016 23:37 |  #3

How large amounts are you thinking? Could you use finger paint for kindergartners? That's gotta be safe,...?

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 11, 2016 10:05 as a reply to blooninja's post |  #4

Enough to cover 6 models. Some of the ideas require it looking like it is pretty thick on them and dripping. Others it gets smeared around so not as much needs to be used. We will be keeping it away from the eyes and mouth no matter what paint we decide to use.

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Dec 11, 2016 10:18 |  #5

How about THESE (external link)?

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 11, 2016 10:24 |  #6

bpalermini wrote in post #18209657 (external link)
How about THESE (external link)?

Thank you those are on my list of possible paint to use. We may end up sticking with only 2 colors so the cost does not get too out of hand.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Dec 29, 2016 00:42 |  #7

Just saw this thread. I'm looking to do a splash shoot this coming spring (fingers crossed) so i started doing some research and came across this very instructive video. Hope it helps.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 29, 2016 07:36 |  #8

I just did a test shoot 2 nights ago with Tempera paint, worked great, washed off 3 times. We did not toss the paint, it was placed and dripped on the models. I will have pictures to show shortly

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,202 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Littlejon Dsgn.
Jan 07, 2017 16:20 |  #9

Check out the photos from our first test shoot

Note NSFW images
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473760

photoguy407
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 22, 2017 22:22 |  #10

great post love it

sponsored links

2,748 views & 5 likes for this thread
Paint to use on Models
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.