Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 12 Dec 2016 (Monday) 10:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Christmas gift exchange at work - help me select an item

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 12, 2016 10:55 |  #1

We are having a Christmas gift exchange at work, $25 max limit.

I work with a bunch of guys in a technical field, most are in their mid to late 30s.
I figure a tech-related gift might be nice. I believe this would be good choice...

https://www.amazon.com ...words=sandisk+flash​+drive (external link)

I told this to a friend and he says flash drives are old school, with so many people using cloud storage, or sending
data via cellular networks.

So for those who are thumbs-down on this flash drive, any other gift ideas? I'd like to get something besides a gift card.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.
Dec 12, 2016 11:51 |  #2

Thumbs down on the flash drive. I would think that if you work in a technical field, your co-workers would already have their data storage needs figured out.

Typically, the worst gift to get someone is a gift that has to do with what they are "really into". Why? Because, when someone gets really into something, the result is that they have very specific things that they want/need. They have done all of the research on all of the hundreds of products available, and figured out what the very best is - and then they buy it for themselves. Golfers often complain of this - they hate to get golf-related gifts because they already have exactly what they need for golfing.

I am really into photography, but if someone were to try to get me a photography-related gift, it wouldn't be anything I'd want, because I already have all of my photographic stuff figured out, and if I don't already have something, it's because I don't want it and don't need it. And the moment I discover something new that would be of use to me, I just do the research and then order it myself.

Perhaps you could do a special, one-of-a-kind gift to bring to the exchange. You could have a calendar made, using your photos. You could go thru your photo library and pick out the images that you think would have the greatest appeal for your co-workers; photos that would specifically appeal to those who live and work in your community. Lulu.com makes some really nice, extra-large, premium calendars that still fall within the $25 limit:

Here's a link, if you're interested:
http://www.lulu.com/cr​eate/books#calendar (external link)

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,263 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Dec 12, 2016 12:01 |  #3

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18210854 (external link)
Typically, the worst gift to get someone is a gift that has to do with what they are "really into". Why? Because, when someone gets really into something, the result is that they have very specific things that they want/need.

Absolutely right.

In my experience, most gifts for occasions like Christmas and birthdays are wasted, or at least suboptimal, except food and money. Sometimes books and magazine subscriptions do well, but you have to know the person's tastes and interests. Money isn't appropriate in your situation. How much do you know about these guys' home lives?

If you worked at the same place last year and an exchange took place, what were some successful gifts?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 12, 2016 13:50 |  #4

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18210854 (external link)

Thumbs down on the flash drive. I would think that if you work in a technical field, your co-workers would already have their data storage needs figured out.

Typically, the worst gift to get someone is a gift that has to do with what they are "really into". Why? Because, when someone gets really into something, the result is that they have very specific things that they want/need. They have done all of the research on all of the hundreds of products available, and figured out what the very best is - and then they buy it for themselves. Golfers often complain of this - they hate to get golf-related gifts because they already have exactly what they need for golfing.

I am really into photography, but if someone were to try to get me a photography-related gift, it wouldn't be anything I'd want, because I already have all of my photographic stuff figured out, and if I don't already have something, it's because I don't want it and don't need it. And the moment I discover something new that would be of use to me, I just do the research and then order it myself.

Perhaps you could do a special, one-of-a-kind gift to bring to the exchange. You could have a calendar made, using your photos. You could go thru your photo library and pick out the images that you think would have the greatest appeal for your co-workers; photos that would specifically appeal to those who live and work in your community. Lulu.com makes some really nice, extra-large, premium calendars that still fall within the $25 limit:

Here's a link, if you're interested:
http://www.lulu.com/cr​eate/books#calendar (external link)

Thanks Tom, that makes a lot of sense. Same here, I wouldn't want some one buying me a photo-related gift or anything else I'm into. Exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

Your calendar idea has merit. I'll give it some thought. Thanks.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 12, 2016 13:57 |  #5

OhLook wrote in post #18210869 (external link)
Absolutely right.

In my experience, most gifts for occasions like Christmas and birthdays are wasted, or at least suboptimal, except food and money. Sometimes books and magazine subscriptions do well, but you have to know the person's tastes and interests. Money isn't appropriate in your situation. How much do you know about these guys' home lives?

If you worked at the same place last year and an exchange took place, what were some successful gifts?

I transferred to a new division and have only been around these guys for about 6 weeks. Hard to say what they like.
Well, If I don't take Tom's calendar idea I might have to give a food related gift.

Thanks for your comments.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 12, 2016 18:28 |  #6

Call me Scrooge. I'd opt out. "No, thanks. I don't do christmas."

Tom

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Dec 12, 2016 19:32 |  #7

liquor goes over real well with most.

flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 12, 2016 19:46 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18211304 (external link)
Call me Scrooge. I'd opt out. "No, thanks. I don't do christmas."

I waited until the guy next to me left his cube today and then sent him an email asking him to turn down his Christmas music. It was a funny email, but yeah, Scrooge I am. Said something about watching me go crazy would be fun, but only for a while.

Non-Scrooge answer: If I were to have one of my new co-workers buy me something for Xmas, it would be beer. Good beer.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,739 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 12, 2016 19:49 |  #9

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18211364 (external link)
I waited until the guy next to me left his cube today and then sent him an email asking him to turn down his Christmas music. It was a funny email, but yeah, Scrooge I am. Said something about watching me go crazy would be fun, but only for a while.

Non-Scrooge answer: If I were to have one of my new co-workers buy me something for Xmas, it would be beer. Good beer.

Careful there, good buddy. Some folks' interpretation of 'good' beer is Miller Lite. I'd rather have Dasani.

Tom

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004
Ma, USA
Dec 12, 2016 20:52 |  #10

You could always suggest a theme such as an ugly ornament or something similar.

Steve

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Dec 12, 2016 20:55 |  #11

Ale never fails.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 12, 2016 21:02 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18211364 (external link)

Mmmmm....beer - great idea! I think the next time someone asks me what I want for Christmas, I'm going to answer, "Chimay blue".

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,740 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Dec 12, 2016 21:17 |  #13

is it like a white elephant exchange or do you have an actual individual? i agree with booze...it's what i took home from a white elephant party myself

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Dec 12, 2016 21:33 |  #14

Anything from ThinkGeek.com (external link) would be fun for a techie. If not any individual item perhaps a gift certificate so they can get the geek toy of their choice...

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,116 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Dec 12, 2016 22:47 |  #15

A pound of Sumatra, and a pound of Komodo Dragon. Not liked, then they're easily regiftable.

sponsored links

2,863 views & 22 likes for this thread
Christmas gift exchange at work - help me select an item
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.