Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 12 Dec 2016 (Monday) 12:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Noitca's Astrophotography Attempts

TinysMav
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2017
May 30, 2017 03:09 |  #16

I appreciate the fact that you've been able to include your son. My little fella loves to go out and lie back and stare at the stars, so now I just have to convince the wife!

Noitca
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2011
Acworth, GA
Jul 21, 2017 06:14 as a reply to TinysMav's post |  #17

OK, Finally there was an alignment between a clear(ish) night, my schedule (sort of), and my lack of fatigue (at the time). Now, I feel like the walking dead at work.

My son and I pulled the scope out last night and looked at a few things. I let him help me setup as much as possible.

1st off, learning to setup the scope. Polar aligned again, turned out pretty good overall. Everything was pretty straight forward last night in terms of getting close to the intended target (star). We took extra care to make sure we had the spreader bar engaged completely with all the legs, which helped I think. Note for next time, we noticed a discrepancy between two 1D bubble levels on the tray (which we used to level it) and the 2D bubble level on the wedge. Next time, use the wedge level.

Target 1: Jupiter. It started out pretty close to the tree line. We looked for maybe 5 to 10 minutes. When I was looking at it for the 3rd time, it disappeared in the eye piece, like completely. I told my son, what the heck just happened. Scope is still on. I don't think it would just fall out of focus like that. Then, after investigating the scope for a good 30 seconds to a minute, we realized... It went behind the trees. My son got a huge kick out of that.

Target 2: Saturn, what we were really wanting to see. FAIL! I didn't set up far enough down the road, it had went behind some other trees. vmad

Target 3: M63. With high precision pointing on the scope, we looked at a nearby double star, which was cool. We looked where the scope ended up pointing with no corrections... didn't see anything. I think it was too bright, but we may also have been slightly off.

Target 4: M16. This one we hooked the camera up to the scope. Took 20 or so 30 second shots, haven't processed them yet. I tried to do something quick in DSS last night after coming in, but I was doing something wrong. It would only want to stack 9 out of 20 or something. When I forced it to stack all/most of them, it produced nothing (like a flat grey image). ?? It was late and I was tired.

Things to note:
Setup more in the middle, not so close to my driveway.
Want to try the focal reducers at some point.
Need to figure out how to turn off my street light when I want to.
Need to get my binoculars and put them with the telescope stuff. I don't use them for anything else anyway.

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

Noitca
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2011
Acworth, GA
Jul 22, 2017 20:44 |  #18

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Stars/i-trjQWfT/0/650c828c/XL/M16%20try%201-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...20try%201-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Result from trying M16...

Sort of.

T1i with 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.8

4,184 views & 20 likes for this thread
Noitca's Astrophotography Attempts
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.