Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 21 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 07:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to close account

roy100
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Dec 21, 2016 07:46 |  #1

Hi

I wish to close my account with Canon as i no longer use it How can i do this?

Regards
Roy

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 21, 2016 08:09 |  #2

I think someone at Canon could provide an answer.

Tom

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
Joined Dec 2013
Exeter, Devon
Dec 21, 2016 09:09 |  #3

two posts, one from 2012 and one now.
i would guess it's removing his POTN account. or being deleted from the forum.

Facebook (external link)
Sony @6000 | Sony 18-105 f4 G Series | Sony 16 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Pentacon 135mm f2.8 | Yongnuo 560EX II | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera | Zenit EM 35mm camera |

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 21, 2016 09:35 |  #4

Well, that makes sense. If that is the case, and you are trying to close your account, read post #2 here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=50442

It basically says, don't let the screen door hit you where the dog shoulda bit you (Thanks, BG).

Tom

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,619 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 22, 2016 09:16 |  #5

This isn't a Canon site. Perhaps he was thinking Cannon? Most sites for Cannons are for clubs, here's a couple suggestions:

1. http://www.n-ssa.org/ (external link)
  2. http://www.coachesclub​cannons.com/Cannons (external link)
  3. http://dtsdapache.hers​hey.k12.pa.us ...l-war-cannon-balls-1800s/ (external link)
  4. http://www.cwrtgettysb​urg.org/ (external link)

You're so welcome, glad we could help!

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

statsman
527 posts
Joined Dec 2007
California, USA
Oct 25, 2017 08:27 |  #6

Bassat wrote in post #18219680 (external link)
Well, that makes sense. If that is the case, and you are trying to close your account, read post #2 here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=50442

It basically says, don't let the screen door hit you where the dog shoulda bit you (Thanks, BG).

That's all well and good. But leaving accounts unused but populated with personal information is not the warm fuzzy I am looking for. Many forums require enough personal information on site in order to verify the account.

In my case, I have long since stopped posting here and would like my account deleted. And I don't mean "banned" with my personal information left intact. It would be helpful if there was an actual mechanism to have an account on this forum deleted.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 23 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 25, 2017 09:09 |  #7

What personal info do you have here? There isn't much to enter. Just your email, location if you want, and nothing else. You don't enter an address, phone number, etc.

As to Royyuru's post, there just isn't anything on POTN that gives us personal info.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,619 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Oct 25, 2017 09:16 |  #8

statsman wrote in post #18480544 (external link)
That's all well and good. But leaving accounts unused but populated with personal information is not the warm fuzzy I am looking for. Many forums require enough personal information on site in order to verify the account.

In my case, I have long since stopped posting here and would like my account deleted. And I don't mean "banned" with my personal information left intact. It would be helpful if there was an actual mechanism to have an account on this forum deleted.

That was my thought as well. Screen name doesn't seem overly personal.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Oct 25, 2017 11:01 |  #9

The thread that wouldn't die :)

I am I

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 25, 2017 11:28 |  #10

I think statsman wants his account to be removed too, but again, nothing exists that has personal info. ;)

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Oct 25, 2017 11:36 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #11

Yeah. I think email address is as personal as it gets. You can create email addresses with bogus info for that purpose.

I am I

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,218 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 25, 2017 11:45 |  #12

Strontium wrote in post #18480738 (external link)
Yeah. I think email address is as personal as it gets. You can create email addresses with bogus info for that purpose.

Good advice, especially if you already own a domain. You should be able to create multiple accounts, and then just have an internal forwarding rule to send them all to your main personal account that you don't give out.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Oct 25, 2017 11:47 |  #13

To close an account I would report the post so a moderator sees it. Then ask them to delete the account

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 25, 2017 15:22 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18480581 (external link)
What personal info do you have here? There isn't much to enter. Just your email, location if you want, and nothing else. You don't enter an address, phone number, etc.

As to Royyuru's post, there just isn't anything on POTN that gives us personal info.

This is exactly right, TeamSpeed.

A lot of people have very weird, erroneous ideas about so-called "personal information" being "out there" and think that it makes them vulnerable to some kind of identity theft or hacking or violation of privacy or something. . But that simply is not so. . They are just one of the misinformed, paranoid masses.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

WaltA
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
White Rock, BC, Canada
Post has been edited 23 days ago by WaltA.
Oct 25, 2017 15:36 |  #15

You guys don't think a person's email address is considered personal info?

I get 1000's of SPAM emails a day - probably because they got my email address from some forums whose data is easy to break into. I've started using a gmail address [on forums and such] instead of my real one to try and stop the flow.

I also think if you're savvy at Internet research you can backtrack from a personal email address and learn lots more personal stuff about someone.

Just cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

1,789 views & 5 likes for this thread
How to close account
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.