Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 22 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 14:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tickets booked for African Safari. Wondering about lens options and extender vs longer lense

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 26, 2016 07:43 |  #16

I say do it right and rent or buy a 200-400 f4 with the built in 1.4 extender.

I bought one a few years ago and is might be my most used lens. For wildlife and sport I don't think it can be beat. I borrowed a 800mm 5.6 and a 400 f2.8 from CPS last spring and summer to see if I wanted one and to sell my 200-400. I can say the performance of the 200-400 is so close to both it was not worth spending more money.

IF this is a once in a life time trip do it right and don't wonder "what if" go with the best gear and let the limitations on the photos be how the wild life acted and your skills. Don't be limited by the gear.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

sponsored links
dfinn
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jan 2012
SLC, UT
Post has been edited 11 months ago by dfinn.
Dec 26, 2016 18:26 |  #17

K Soze wrote in post #18223788 (external link)

Wow, I just looked at the price of a couple of used ones of those. We are most definitely not working with the same budget. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This may or may not be a once in a life time trip, it depends on how it goes. I think we are doing it a little bit differently than most people do (self driven and camping) and because of that it's actually a really affordable trip. I don't see any reason why we couldn't go back if we enjoy it, which I think we will.

I'm still setup to test out the 2x extender this upcoming weekend and I'm also on the lookout for a nice 100-400 v2 for sale used.

I mentioned this earlier but people seem to keep asking, I've got a 5d3. I probably will only be taking 1 body with me. I do have a backup 1d3 but I'm not sure it makes sense to bring both and I'm currently trying to sell that body and consolidate to just the 5d3.

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Dec 26, 2016 22:02 |  #18

K Soze wrote in post #18223788 (external link)

I bought one a few years ago and is might be my most used lens. For wildlife and sport I don't think it can be beat. I borrowed a 800mm 5.6 and a 400 f2.8 from CPS last spring and summer to see if I wanted one and to sell my 200-400. I can say the performance of the 200-400 is so close to both it was not worth spending more money.

IF this is a once in a life time trip do it right and don't wonder "what if" go with the best gear and let the limitations on the photos be how the wild life acted and your skills. Don't be limited by the gear.

Agreed, I bought my 200-400 for Africa and it was near perfect for the trip. Since bought a 600 f4 for next time and I think I'll be well and truly set with those two :)

Gear List

Aus.Morgo
Joined Feb 2012
Newcastle, Australia
Dec 26, 2016 22:08 |  #19

dfinn wrote in post #18224243 (external link)
I probably will only be taking 1 body with me. I do have a backup 1d3 but I'm not sure it makes sense to bring both and I'm currently trying to sell that body and consolidate to just the 5d3.

Not having to swap out glass on one body all the time with the dust makes enough sense to have two bodies on its own but what happens if theres an issue with your one and only camera body while there? No more photos for you.

Things can happen quick, drive around a corner and you some times only have seconds to get a shot before its gone. Do you want to spend that time changing out a lens and missing the shot or just being able to put down one setup and grab the other and get the shot?

It just doesn't make sense to only take one body when you have another body available.

Gear List

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Neilyb. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 27, 2017 04:53 |  #20

Having been to Kruger a few times here are my 2c.

If I were to go again I would take my 200-400. Period. I would miss my 500 f4 for the birds, absolutely I would. If I were on a tight budget and needed to rent something, I would look at the 300 2.8 IS and TC's.

The thing people look at when adding a 2x to the 70-200 is how sharp it is. It is quite sharp at f8 and 400mm, but the other thing I want is nice Bokeh and the 2x TC option will not do that unless you are really close to your subject. Already you will often encounter bad Bokeh from sunlight and heat shimmer, the 2xTC option will make multiply that. With a 300 2.8 and TC you will be 50% closer to your subject than with the 70-200 and TC. Making the Bokeh cleaner. Also useful for those birds shots (often in camps and at places like Panic Lake will be useful).

I said above I would take the 200-400. The 500 for birds is great but the best shots are likely to be early morning or just before the gates close. My best sightings and shots came at these times and near the road I was on, often 400mm was too much, 500 was a head shot. 200-300 at f2.8 would work great in many of these situations. We can now pump up the ISO way more than I could last time I went with a 1Dmk3 and 5DII. 200-400 at f4 is perfect. Budget option of the 300 2.8 is my second choice only as it take TC's so well. Does mean you have to swap TC's around and dust could be a problem.

70-200 however is still useful for larger animals, quite often you will be close to elephants and realize how big they are ;)

The rest. I would take a good wide angle, some nice landscapes in SA especially if you visit the Blyde River Area before Kruger.

Take two bodies. Longer lens on one. Shorter tele on the other. I did try to help a French guy in Kruger last I was there, his focus screen fell out when he tried to clean it (not a good idea anyway) but it broke and it was his only camera. :|

Kruger is a good start to African safari trips, actually cheap and easy, you also drive when you want and are not restricted by guides. Drive to the north, it is beautiful and less busy.

Forgot one more thing with long lenses. If you are needing 500mm to fill the frame with a big cat, rhino or buffalo then chances are your shots will be soft as hell with heat shimmer anyway. This king of thing only works early and late, mainly early (until 9-10am). The shots you get up to 300-400mm will be better than most above that). Exceptions being over water, hide at lake Panic or sunset damn are great examples, or dull days (even then it can be warm enough to distort images).

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

dfinn
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jan 2012
SLC, UT
Jan 27, 2017 11:14 as a reply to Neilyb's post |  #21

Thanks for the info everyone.

I ended up buying a used 100-400 v2. I've been using it a bit lately and have been really happy with the images from it. My test weekend with the 2X extender and 70-200 was enough to decide that I wasn't happy with that setup and that I should just pony up for the real thing.

As of right now I'm thinking 24-105, 100-400, 5d3 and probably the 1d3 as well for backup. The 17-40 may come along for the ride as well since it's actually pretty light, not sure on that yet.

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 29, 2017 17:30 as a reply to post 18223768 |  #22

This is good advice. I would add that a 1.4X telextender is necessary to cover all bases.

You will be perhaps handicapped when it comes to birds as some, like the colorful Malachite Kingfisher, are tiny tiny. But overall, the 100-400 Mk II with telextender is a nice compromise.

Perhaps as important is having two camera bodies as some have mentioned. I would hope one would be a 1.6X crop camera. Then your 100-400 with telextender becomes 560mm and with the 1.4X is 784mm and sometime on the dark continent you will need every millimeter!

Good luck and be sure to post some images when you return.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 30, 2017 11:39 |  #23

dfinn wrote in post #18256903 (external link)

I ended up buying a used 100-400 v2. I've been using it a bit lately and have been really happy with the images from it. My test weekend with the 2X extender and 70-200 was enough to decide that I wasn't happy with that setup and that I should just pony up for the real thing.

As of right now I'm thinking 24-105, 100-400, 5d3 and probably the 1d3 as well for backup. The 17-40 may come along for the ride as well since it's actually pretty light, not sure on that yet.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. You will be well equipped with that gear.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
Munich
Jan 31, 2017 02:18 |  #24

Take the 17-40, especially if you are not only going to Kruger.

The 100-400 is about as all round as you can get, will be fine for those big mammals but less so birds. As I said earlier a lot of shots will be marred with heat shimmer anyway, so longer is not always better. In many camps you will come across more friendly birds, like bee-eaters or hoopoes and 400 should be do-able.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.comexternal link

http://www.natureimmor​tal.comexternal link

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Feb 02, 2017 06:26 |  #25

Take the 17-40. Those extra mm will come in handy.

dfinn
THREAD ­ STARTER
279 posts
Joined Jan 2012
SLC, UT
Mar 07, 2017 16:59 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #26

Had a great time. The wildlife in Kruger is really amazing.

I ended up taking: 5d3, 1d3, 17-40, 24-105, 100-400 and a CPL. I put the 100-400 on the 5d3 and the 24-105 on the 1d3 and for the most part, that's how they stayed. Most of the shots were with the 100-400 and for almost all the shots from that lens, longer would have been nice to have.

The pics are here

Thanks again for all the advice.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,718 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Mar 07, 2017 17:20 |  #27

This looks perfect!
Good that you brought the 17-40mm for some wide angle shots.
You are doing well with the 100-400mm mkII. Easy to get good results.

The only other thing I would have recommended you consider is a small fast prime for low light around the campfire, lodge shots. Do not forget the people shots! (I know because I did and regret it)

A super affordable and super small lightweight 50mm STM will be very useful @ f/1.8 at times.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,061 views & 5 likes for this thread
Tickets booked for African Safari. Wondering about lens options and extender vs longer lense
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.