Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 30 Dec 2016 (Friday) 16:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Show and Tell: My New Light Stand Family

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by SYS. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 30, 2016 16:15 |  #1

I was initially interested in just getting one solid, well-built steel light stand. I researched and compared for hours among mostly Avenger, Matthews, and Kupo brands, and my choice finally went to Matthews Junior Steel Wheeled Stand. Once I received it, I had to name it "Beauty and the Beast" -- in one muscular steel frame. It definitely was an overkill for my needs, but it was love at first sight! Anyone who owns this Beauty and the Beast would know what I'm talking about.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/1/280/31179011993_68d3e0a0fb_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PvbA​1i] (external link)

I loved it so much that I decided to get the "Baby" version, too. I wanted a strong stand that was "heavy yet light" enough for my location shoots. There was no way I can or even willing to haul around the Junior. The Junior will have to sit tight permanently in my studio. I also wanted it to be a wheeled stand so when I'm not using it outdoors, I can wheel it around in the studio. I don't mind a wheeled stand for outdoor use; I care more about the overall weight and portability. When Matthews Baby Jr. Steel Wheeled Stand came, I knew immediately that my decision was perfect. It has that "Matthews" quality built yet it was lighter than I expected -- perfect for the outdoor location shoot:

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/306/31871511261_e60591033b_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QynP​UR] (external link)

Well, I thought I was done at this point. Wrong. During my hours of researching for the above Matthews stands, my eyes caught this Kupo Master C-Stand with Turtle Base with an innovative quick leg set up and take down mechanism. Well, I figured one additional light stand wouldn't hurt (except my bank account), so I decided to get it along with the Kupo Runway Stand Base, so I can change out the base for different purposes. When it arrived, the first thing I had to try out was the quick leg set up and take down mechanism, and WOW, what genius! It literally took me one second to set up the legs and one second to fold them. It never posed even the remotest sense of danger to my fingers when doing so. The boom that is shown here is that of Matthews Mini Boom, in itself a Beauty and the Beast of its class. I only intend to use the light stuff when using the boom with this particular stand along with some sandbags. I will soon get a Kupo 40" Hex Grip Arm for this stand:

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/1/704/31179014563_f1cf849bd7_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PvbA​LB] (external link)

One of the reasons why I decided to invest in this highly versatile light stand:

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/387/31871513991_888073f09a_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QynQ​HV] (external link)

For outdoor, location shoots, I decided to settle for this Tenba Car Case Tri-Pak CCT51, 51" Padded Tripod & Lightstand Case. This can fit everything shown above and more except the Junior, which is just fine by me. This Tenba is overpriced IMHO. It's well built, and it can do the job. That's just about it. For the price, they should have provided better shoulder handle for backpack style carrying. If you're bigger than me (160LBS and 5' 8"), then forget about this style of carrying. The handle itself is a bit short even for slinging it over one shoulder. For the price, too, it should have been made with the rubber feet. Some outer zipper pockets would have been nice, too. Just have to settle for the quality material and zipper and the storage capacity.

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/396/31988234245_1b7e4ce210_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/QJG4​A6] (external link)

So, there it is, my new light stand family.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
paintedlotus
313 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Dec 30, 2016 16:56 |  #2

Looks like super fun toys! I'm jealous, I just have one rolling stand (an Avenger folding base roller), and just one c-stand. I am in need of expanding my light stand collection but the money always seems to find its way to other stuff instead...

6D, Gripped 5Dc, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 lying around somewhere with a dead bug inside it, Einstein & CC & stuff, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white), PCB beauty dish (old style), Elinchrom beauty dish, Rice Bowl 90cm, a few umbrellas and 4-foot Octo, Canon 430EX II, Travel Angel tripod & Manfrotto ball head, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Post has been edited 3 months ago by SYS.
Dec 30, 2016 17:06 |  #3

paintedlotus wrote in post #18228094 (external link)
Looks like super fun toys! I'm jealous, I just have one rolling stand (an Avenger folding base roller), and just one c-stand. I am in need of expanding my light stand collection but the money always seems to find its way to other stuff instead...

I used to have no problem spending thousands of dollars on the latest camera body and all those "L" lenses, yet I'd get those "economic" light stands that end up breaking apart on me within a few years of owning them. I don't make the same mistakes anymore. I suppose getting all these stands is a way of my making up for the past mistakes -- all at once! :lol:

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,007 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Dec 30, 2016 21:05 |  #4

Looking good.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

RicoTudor
399 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Dec 30, 2016 23:12 |  #5

There's a sound investment for the long term. I like the low-altitude runway light. To leverage your steel fleet, add grip heads and grip arms for myriad situations. I sometimes use a roller, grip head and superclamp to hold my cellphone at altitude (bad reception) and bluetooth it. :)

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 31, 2016 00:31 |  #6

RicoTudor wrote in post #18228407 (external link)
There's a sound investment for the long term. I like the low-altitude runway light. To leverage your steel fleet, add grip heads and grip arms for myriad situations. I sometimes use a roller, grip head and superclamp to hold my cellphone at altitude (bad reception) and bluetooth it. :)

Grip heads and arms are my next additions. :-)

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,717 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Yorkshire, England
Dec 31, 2016 04:14 |  #7

Looking good!
I have a couple of steel stands I acquired back in 1973 (1 bought, 1 was part of 1st prize in a national portrait competition) and they are still by far my most reliable stands .... so they don't owe me a thing.
PITA to carry but so, sooo worth it for stability, reliability and longevity. I've had Manfrotto aluminium ones since then for ease-of-carry after I got tennis elbow humping the steel stands in and out of the car but nowhere near as good as the old Courtenay steel stands which are now older than a lot of members of POTN!

Agree with you about Tenba bags being vastly over-priced - t'was always thus. I've a camera bag I bought in 1979 which shows not one jot of wear after all this time so, again, good value for money in the long run. Bit hard on the wallet back then but still A-OK 37 years later.

You get what you pay for!

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 31, 2016 09:29 |  #8

Whortleberry wrote in post #18228527 (external link)
Looking good!
I have a couple of steel stands I acquired back in 1973 (1 bought, 1 was part of 1st prize in a national portrait competition) and they are still by far my most reliable stands .... so they don't owe me a thing.
PITA to carry but so, sooo worth it for stability, reliability and longevity. I've had Manfrotto aluminium ones since then for ease-of-carry after I got tennis elbow humping the steel stands in and out of the car but nowhere near as good as the old Courtenay steel stands which are now older than a lot of members of POTN!

Agree with you about Tenba bags being vastly over-priced - t'was always thus. I've a camera bag I bought in 1979 which shows not one jot of wear after all this time so, again, good value for money in the long run. Bit hard on the wallet back then but still A-OK 37 years later.

You get what you pay for!

I've already told my teenage son that he's going to inherit these stands.... :-D

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

OceanRipple*
704 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Dec 31, 2016 13:40 |  #9

SYS wrote in post #18228069 (external link)
So, there it is, my new light stand family.

Great looking effective kit - congratulations.

How's the Drop Pin working out on the boom? Don't lose any fingers!

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 31, 2016 13:49 |  #10

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18229014 (external link)
Great looking effective kit - congratulations.

How's the Drop Pin working out on the boom? Don't lose any fingers!

Haven't had a chance to use it but very soon. My son's college application deadline has kept me away from doing much of anything in my basement studio with my new toys. :-(

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by SYS. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 04, 2017 21:20 |  #11

My son had a recording session at a radio station today. When I walked into the recording studio, guess what greeted me? Matthew stands! They were everywhere in the studio! The Seniors holding the Kino Flo 80's, the Junior holding up the sound flag, and the Baby's holding a dual mic in one stand and two holding up a single mic close to the wall behind me... The whole Matthew family was working together! :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Then, the camera guys came in with their own equipment. I drooled so much I had to wipe the floor afterward.... :-P

HOSTED PHOTO

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by SYS. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 04, 2017 21:32 |  #12

Does anyone know what's holding the sound flag between the clamp and the stand? Does anyone know, for that matter, what the proper name is for the "sound flag"? Gobo?

HOSTED PHOTO

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2012
Gloucester Co. NJ
Jan 04, 2017 22:17 |  #13

Yes...I'm jealous. :)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

RicoTudor
399 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Post has been edited 3 months ago by RicoTudor.
Jan 04, 2017 22:50 |  #14

SYS wrote in post #18233619 (external link)
Does anyone know what's holding the sound flag between the clamp and the stand?

Down, boy, down! They're just light stands. :) Okay, the setup is Manfrotto Super Clamp held by MSE Magic Finger held by another Magic Finger held by stand's junior receiver. In typical fashion, the Manfrotto baby receiver is not deep enough to secure a standard baby pin, meaning the retaining pin misses the groove. I do it myself, but only for trivial loads facing up (not the situation shown above). If they did grind a few mm's off the Magic Finger then all is well.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 04, 2017 22:54 |  #15

RicoTudor wrote in post #18233679 (external link)
Down, boy, down! They're just light stands. :) Okay, the setup is Manfrotto Super Clamp held by MSE Magic Finger held by another Magic Finger held by stand's junior receiver. In typical fashion, the Manfrotto baby receiver is not deep enough to secure a standard baby pin, meaning the retaining pin misses the groove. I do it myself, but only for trivial loads facing up (not the situation shown above). If they did grind a few mm's off the Magic Finger then all is well.

So, two of these magic fingers?

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ..._388210_Magic_Finge​r.html (external link)

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

4,162 views & 16 likes for this thread
Show and Tell: My New Light Stand Family
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.