Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 01 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 08:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Background colour for POTN

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 01, 2017 08:23 |  #1

Has this topic been discussed on this forum? I have done a search but cannot find it. Photographers tend to accept what they are presented with both on websites or photo forums - but when presented with coloured shots on a charcoal background they often prefer it. (There is a discussion on this topic here: http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/forums/thre​ad30516.htm (external link) )

Now think about photo editors, can you name one that has a white background? Most have a grey or dark grey background and I feel there must be a reason for this. I like the design of POTN but I do wish there was a dark skin available. I have tried to create a stylesheet for the Stylish add-on for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla​.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/styli​sh/ (external link)). I had some success but found that there were some POTN features that I could not change. The next best, IMO, is the Owl add-on for Firefox; this inverts all colours on a web page but does not change the images.

Has anyone got any thought on this?

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jan 01, 2017 08:39 |  #2

I would not regularly visit a site that had a dark background and white type.

Plus when you click they eyeglasses near a photo it opens with a dark background.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,457 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Jan 01, 2017 12:17 |  #3

It was discussed ad nauseam with the launch of AMASS. Colors were adjusted and as stated when you click on the eye glasses the picture is presented on a gray background. It's also been noted this is Potn not Fred's site.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,298 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 01, 2017 12:23 |  #4

I have no complaints about POTN the way it is.

Tom

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 01, 2017 13:14 |  #5

Thanks to all for your replies.

I was not contemplating an unalterable dark background (such as Fred Miranda's and Digital Grin) but a choice of style as offered on the Photography Forum and Large Format forums.

Martin

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,014 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jan 01, 2017 19:58 |  #6

Or why not an 18% background against which posted photos are displayed?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,223 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Jan 02, 2017 15:20 |  #7

Stiga wrote in post #18229628 (external link)
Has this topic been discussed on this forum? I have done a search but cannot find it. Photographers tend to accept what they are presented with both on websites or photo forums - but when presented with coloured shots on a charcoal background they often prefer it. (There is a discussion on this topic here: http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/forums/thre​ad30516.htm (external link) )

Now think about photo editors, can you name one that has a white background? Most have a grey or dark grey background and I feel there must be a reason for this. I like the design of POTN but I do wish there was a dark skin available. I have tried to create a stylesheet for the Stylish add-on for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla​.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/styli​sh/ (external link)). I had some success but found that there were some POTN features that I could not change. The next best, IMO, is the Owl add-on for Firefox; this inverts all colours on a web page but does not change the images.

Has anyone got any thought on this?

You can click that eyeglasses icon to view that photo in darker background (will be even darker in next version).

Post backgrounds can not be made dark, as readability will suffer and my view is that post background must be neutral, what ever the surrounding theme is, so that you can rely that your post will show as you see it.

But there will be changes in the next version.

Yo will have a choice of
THEME: Paper White | Darker

Darker mode is in my opinion better looking and easier to eyes, but the "paper white" will be kept as a choice for those who like that. To make things even easier to eyes with large screens, you can adjust margins with great precision for different page groups. I'll put one screenshot of dark mode with custom margin for thread pages here:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Best of" in dark mode with normal margins:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The new design is internally very different, also much more CSS (+media query) based, so it may be easier to adjust things, but I can not guarantee this completely. Some CSS items must be loaded inline in html source, still.

I'll post a full changelog as release gets near, should be quite soon.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Stiga
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Jan 20, 2017 13:12 |  #8

Pekka wrote in post #18230965 (external link)
You can click that eyeglasses icon to view that photo in darker background (will be even darker in next version).

Post backgrounds can not be made dark, as readability will suffer and my view is that post background must be neutral, what ever the surrounding theme is, so that you can rely that your post will show as you see it.

But there will be changes in the next version.

Yo will have a choice of
THEME: Paper White | Darker

Darker mode is in my opinion better looking and easier to eyes, but the "paper white" will be kept as a choice for those who like that. To make things even easier to eyes with large screens, you can adjust margins with great precision for different page groups. I'll put one screenshot of dark mode with custom margin for thread pages here:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pekka in
./showthread.php?p=182​30965&i=i193521027
forum: Forum Talk

"Best of" in dark mode with normal margins:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Pekka in
./showthread.php?p=182​30965&i=i114697231
forum: Forum Talk

The new design is internally very different, also much more CSS (+media query) based, so it may be easier to adjust things, but I can not guarantee this completely. Some CSS items must be loaded inline in html source, still.

I'll post a full changelog as release gets near, should be quite soon.

Many thanks for your reply and apologies for my slow response. For sure I look forward to updates as work progresses. Your images oif the next upgrade look promising.

Martin

sponsored links

1,364 views & 2 likes for this thread
Background colour for POTN
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.