Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 01 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 22:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help with these 6D/70-200 photos

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Perfectly Frank.
Jan 01, 2017 22:54 |  #1

I used my 6D and 70-200 f2.8 IS II at a night time parade. This camera/lens combo has always produced super-sharp images.
But almost all of my parade photos were soft - many had to be deleted.

My goal was to have a sharp subject, and with background people and objects with a pleasant blur. So I set the 6D to center-point,
one-shot AF.

Here's two examples. Both were shot at f4.0, ISO 12800.

This one at 1/160s, 110mm. The AF point was on her skirt. The second image at 1/250s, 182mm, AF point on her face.

BTW, I used this same camera and lens at the same parade two years ago, and the results were excellent.
Back then I set the 6D to AI Servo mode, this year to One-shot AF. I'm not sure if that makes any
difference, as most of my subjects were very slow moving.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,465 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Jan 02, 2017 00:38 |  #2

AI Servo makes a huge difference when shooting moving objects and I would highly recommend using it under these circumstances. That said, both of these shots are sharply focused on background subjects rather than your subject in the foreground. Did you focus and recompose?

Mark

shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
Jan 02, 2017 00:48 |  #3

Looks like you simply missed focus on these.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,250 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Jan 02, 2017 05:21 |  #4

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18230337 (external link)
Back then I set the 6D to AI Servo mode, this year to One-shot AF. I'm not sure if that makes any
difference, as most of my subjects were very slow moving.

In my experience, it does make a difference, even with slow moving subjects.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jan 02, 2017 09:40 |  #5

rrblint wrote in post #18230384 (external link)
AI Servo makes a huge difference when shooting moving objects and I would highly recommend using it under these circumstances. That said, both of these shots are sharply focused on background subjects rather than your subject in the foreground. Did you focus and recompose?

No, I did not focus and recompose. Having the camera set to One-shot was a mistake on my part. I usually shoot events with AI Servo.
I forgot to check my camera settings :-(

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jan 02, 2017 09:49 |  #6

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18230388 (external link)
Looks like you simply missed focus on these.

Could be, but a large number of images were like this. To be honest, I don't remember paying
attention to the AF confirmation lights. Hopefully the problem is just user error.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 02, 2017 10:07 |  #7

Even if the floats are moving quite slowly if you lock focus and then wait a little bit then the subject will have moved out of the focal plane, and the people behind have moved into it. You should never use one shot on a subject that is or might move, in that situation you should always use AI-Servo. The thing is that although you get the AF confirmation light, that is locked once it has achived focus in one shot, and will remain lit even if the subject moves completely ouy of focus, even if you keep the point on the subject.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,752 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 02, 2017 10:43 |  #8

Moving target = AI-servo.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jan 02, 2017 10:52 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18230651 (external link)
Even if the floats are moving quite slowly if you lock focus and then wait a little bit then the subject will have moved out of the focal plane, and the people behind have moved into it. You should never use one shot on a subject that is or might move, in that situation you should always use AI-Servo. The thing is that although you get the AF confirmation light, that is locked once it has achived focus in one shot, and will remain lit even if the subject moves completely ouy of focus, even if you keep the point on the subject.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. Your last sentence is very important and some thing I have not considered.

Ok, here's what I've learned from my blunder...

Thoroughly check all camera and lens settings.
Take some test shots before the event begins.
Occasionally check images on the LCD.
Review the camera/lens manual as needed.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jan 02, 2017 10:53 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18230681 (external link)
Moving target = AI-servo.

Right on!

I was aware of that but didn't check my camera settings. Bummer :cry:

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,885 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jan 02, 2017 11:07 |  #11

I don't see a listing of which AF group you were using here (center/single point, Zone or All af points); with crowds like that, using single/center point, along with Servo will be your friend. First shot, focus is firmly on the store front to the rear and the second, it's on the woman at the extreme, right edge of the frame. That sort of variety is usually from letting the camera decide where to grab focus instead of specifying it yourself.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,752 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Bassat.
Jan 02, 2017 13:24 |  #12

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18230691 (external link)
Right on!

I was aware of that but didn't check my camera settings. Bummer :cry:

IF you set up your camera properly, you don't need to move it from your eye to check. AI-Servo vs OneShot. I have my cameras set up BEEP on focus acquisition, and the DOF field button toggles AI-Servo/OneShot (works no matter which it is on when you start).

This way, if I get a beep, I know I am in OneShot. Just press/hold the DOF button and it switches to Servo. No beep? Already AI-Servo. Press/hold DOF for OneShot.

Tom

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Jan 02, 2017 14:36 |  #13

Snydremark wrote in post #18230701 (external link)
I don't see a listing of which AF group you were using here (center/single point, Zone or All af points); with crowds like that, using single/center point, along with Servo will be your friend.

In my first post, center point AF.
There is a consensus here that using One-shot AF instead of AI Servo was my problem.

sponsored links

1,459 views & 5 likes for this thread
Need help with these 6D/70-200 photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.