Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 15:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Settings for Processing RAW Files

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 03, 2017 15:06 |  #1

Hello, I've recently begun working on adjusting RAW image settings in Zoner Photo Studio 18 but the adjustments I make don't seem to result in photos that are even as good as the in-camera high quality JPG of the same image. I know the settings required depend entirely on the image and the adjustments needed, but can anyone suggest a resource that explains what each of the sliders do (Exposure, Contrast, Shadows, Lights, Clarity, etc.) and general value ranges? For example, whether I set Clarity to 0 or 100 I don't see any change in the image, however increasing the Shadow value by even a few points has a significant impact on the image, although I'm not really sure exactly what is happening.

Ditto for sharpening and noise reduction - I've seen some suggested values for specific images, but can't find a simple explanation of what each setting does and how the values affect the image. I tried searching the forum for RAW settings, exposure settings, etc. but couldn't find the information I was looking for. Also, I realize most people use Lightroom, so I'm expecting whatever resource is suggested will refer to that program and not the obscure one I'm currently using.

Thanks,
Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Jan 03, 2017 15:35 |  #2

Hi, Joe.

I'm totally Zoner ignorant. That said, I wonder if your application is working the way it should. You should be seeing really huge differences in midtone contrast as you change clarity values. Ditto with exposure and temperature . Noise reduction changes are a bit more subtle but still very easily seen.

Though there are differences in various RAW converters, any one worth using should make it rather easy to get results beyond what you see with SOC JPGs.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 03, 2017 19:12 |  #3

Some programs may only show the effects of certain slider changes when viewing the image at 1:1 or 100%. For example in older versions of LR certainly, not to sure about the latest CC version, you only saw the effects of sharpening and IIRC noise reduction when viewing at 1:1 in the develop module. Although I would not normally recommend pixel peeping at 1:1, sometimes it is necessary. I'm afraid I am also an LR user, so again I can't help with specifics, but if you set Clarity to maximum you should see a REALLY crunchy looking result, with huge amounts of "micro contrast".

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 03, 2017 20:50 |  #4

Thanks for the input, I will probably just buy the Adobe CC subscription but I would like to be able to read about what the different Lightroom settings do and usual ranges for those settings. Are there tooltips (like mouseover info) built into Lightroom to help guide novice users? Tried Rawtherapee first but found it much too complicated, and Canon DPP has a confusing UI.

Thanks,
Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,364 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Post has been edited 9 months ago by tzalman.
Jan 04, 2017 02:29 |  #5

https://www.lightroomq​ueen.com/quickstart/ (external link)
https://helpx.adobe.co​m/lightroom/tutorials.​html (external link)
http://www.jkost.com/l​ightroom.html (external link)
http://laurashoe.com ...eo-tutorial-training-dvd/ (external link)
http://mulita.com/blog​/free-videos/ (external link)

Elie / אלי

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Jan 04, 2017 02:41 |  #6

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18232385 (external link)
Are there tooltips (like mouseover info) built into Lightroom to help guide novice users? Tried Rawtherapee first but found it much too complicated, and Canon DPP has a confusing UI.

LR has minimal mouseover info mainly helping you to understand the different icons and switches. No tooltips per se. Be aware that LR has a steep learning curve. If you think that DPP is confusing then don't expect easy sailing. Additionally, most things in LR can be done different ways (e.g. keyboard shortcut, menu item and button).

Donate if you love POTN

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 04, 2017 05:21 |  #7

Also with LR depending on you style for your finished images there are often times when using values that would be considered too extreme in one circumstance will be perfectly normal in another. I often shoot in situations where I need to maintain highlight detail while maximising the details in the shadows, so I will expose to the right, will have the highlights at -100, the shadows at +100 (maximum positive and negative values) and the exposure between -0.5 and -1 EV. If I don't ETTR though I wouldn't want to push the shadows slider past about 20 maximum with my 50D, and my older 20D you probably wouldn't want to push shadows at all in the same situation, yet the +-100 still works fine if you ETTR, although you can't push it as far with the exposure slider. It all depends on you total technique, from exposure to final processed image. When I shoot ETTR for processing in LR with high dynamic range the SOOC camera JPEG conversion can look somewhat like an over exposed mess. Yet once they are processed in LR they look great. Fortunately I'm not worried by what the in camera preview looks like, just the finished processed image, and correct exposure is based on having the best starting point for a good conversion. The same can be said for sharpening, as well as the amount and radius sliders in the LR sharpening panel, there is also a masking slider. This allows you to apply an auto generated mask to make the sharpening selectively applied to strong edges only. it is possible to apply either low amount sharpening, without the masking, or to use high amount sharpening with the mask near maximum. In one situation you would maybe max out the amount slider at around 30 to 35 while with the other you might start with an amount setting of 70. neither of these approaches is wrong, but the type of image will make a difference. I used to have to take most of my aviation images into PS to apply selective sharpening with a layer mask, either high amount USM, or high pass sharpening, and would have to manually create the layer mask using a copy of the image and the find edges filter, LR does this automatically now.

So as you can see two examples of where you could use totally different sets of slider values, that work perfectly well, but could have some people say that you should never use the sliders in those value ranges. Of course since LR does everything nondestructively, just like all RAW converters, it is a simple matter to play with the sliders and experiment to see what effects you get.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 04, 2017 13:56 |  #8

Thanks for all of the helpful links and suggestions. Just finished downloading the LR trial so I'm going to play around in there and at least I can use the resources provided. Glad I didn't spend a lot of money on Zoner Photo Studio thanks to Techsoup!

Thanks,
Joe

sponsored links

1,109 views & 2 likes for this thread
Settings for Processing RAW Files
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.