Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 05 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 07:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Brown Trout Colorado

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 05, 2017 07:04 |  #1

Here is lunker Brown Trout photographed in the Tomahawk State Wildlife Area of Colorado on the Middle Fork of the South Platte River. It was laying on the bottom in about 18 inches of water. To get to it with my Nikon AW1 camera with 10mm lens, I had to break ice on the surface of a backwater slough where this guy was resting. The things we sometimes do to get a picture!

It was during the spawning run, October, when I found this specimen. I think it was worn out from intensive activity and was resting next to a cutback overhang.

Attempting to document fresh water trout is fun but finding spawning streams one can work is challenging.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Jemhead
Joined Apr 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
Jan 07, 2017 21:57 |  #2

Nice story and shot!

5D III / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / 17-40L / 135L / 85L 1.2 II / 70-200L 2.8 IS
flickr (external link)Օ

MykaelSassimi
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Wisconsin
Jan 08, 2017 03:14 |  #3

How big was this fish?! :O

Website (external link)

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Post has been edited 11 months ago by WildImages.
Jan 10, 2017 11:15 as a reply to MykaelSassimi's post |  #4

I am not sure how to answer this because what ever I say is only an estimate and I am sure you are familiar with the old saying: "all fisherman are liars except you and me and I'm not too sure about you".

Let me put it this way, I estimate over 20 inches and over 3 pounds would be my guess. This image was captured during the brown trout spawning run and I think this one was exhausted from his activity.

I hope this answer will suffice.

Charlie

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jan 12, 2017 19:16 |  #5

That's a really awesome image, Charlie!

Were you completely underwater when you took this? By that I mean, was your head under the water and were you looking through an optical viewfinder, with your head behind the camera, when you took the image? Or did you use a live view type of thing, or an angle finder?

How deep was the water here? Were you wading when you took the shot? Were you in a boat or other floatation device? Did you use any scuba gear when you took this image?

The EXIF data you posted says that this was taken with a 14mm lens.....but it also says that it was taken at 10mm. Hmmmmmm - that doesn't add up! Was it taken with a 14mm lens, or with a 10mm lens?

HOSTED PHOTO

How close was the camera to the trout? Did you remain in one place a long time and wait for the trout to come close, or did you approach the trout and get this image, with the trout staying in the same place the whole time?

Do you know for sure whether it was a male or a female? If so, how? By its behavior, or by physical features?

Was the image created using only ambient light, or did you augment the ambient light in some way?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Post has been last edited 11 months ago by WildImages. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 13, 2017 14:23 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #6

Sorry Tom, I used a 10mm lens in spite of what the EXIF data says. There is no selection for either a Nikon AW1 or 10mm lens so I just selected what was the closet match although rather poor.

I found this lunker on the bottom in a shallow backwater area on the Middle Fork of the South Platte River. I had to break the ice to get my camera in position to take this picture. If you look up the Nikon AW1 you would see it does not have an optical viewfinder. I was not totally submerged but laying on the muddy bank but wet from my waist up. I only guessed at the framing as I had to reach out so far I could not see the LCD on the back of the camera. I was wearing a wet suit as that water was extremely cold.

It is a male. I did not use any light augmentation. My experience with trout photography is their spawning streams are shallow. The females dig a redd or nest which provides protection from the swift current into which they drop roe, them move off to guard the site. Males come along and fight and drop milt. This combination of roe and milt then is slowly covered by silt thus protecting the fertilized eggs. This male was exhausted from fighting and resting on the bottom of the backwater. I saw it as I was walking the bank, not by swimming. Polaroid glasses are a real advantage when trying to see fish.

I don't know if this is the case but the Brown Trout spawn in the fall along with the Brook Trout. Big Browns become predatory. By spawning in the fall, it seems to me it keeps these big lunker away from the Rainbow, the Cutthroat, the Greenback Cutthroat and other species that share the same spawning streams in the spring. Fishermen will tell you trout caught during the spawn do not fight as hard as during other times of the year. They are worn out by this mating act in their natal streams.

I hope this answers all your questions.....

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jan 13, 2017 14:25 |  #7

Would that be the mirc trout?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 13, 2017 14:27 as a reply to Alveric's post |  #8

What is a mic trout?

If you mean or ask, did I catch it and place it in the stream to photograph it, my response is they would never stay still in that situation. They would be gone before you fully released them.

Look closely at this trout. It is covered in silt indicating it had rested in this position in this backwater for quite some time.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jan 13, 2017 15:39 |  #9

mirc: the popular IRC client that sported a 'trout' feature.

Sorry, I was throwing a joke at you. Of course, if I had used a smiley it wouldn't have worked out. Feel free to slap me around with a large trout if you like, a la mirc. :D

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 13, 2017 15:53 as a reply to Alveric's post |  #10

No worries!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 13, 2017 17:23 as a reply to WildImages's post |  #11

Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed reply - I learned a lot by reading it!

I am surprised that the photo was taken under ice - never would've guessed! I am also surprised that you took it from the bank, or just a few steps from the bank. It looks like it is out in a vast open-water expanse.

I think it's awesome that you were able to get such great results from ambient light alone - that gives me hope that maybe someday I, too, could do underwater photography!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 13, 2017 18:15 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #12

You can certainly do underwater photography with a simple point and shoot. I use a Nikon AW1 because it produces both RAW and JPEG. However the basic point and shoot cameras such as a Canon D20, Olympus TG-4, Nikon is it 130 (?) Also work quite well. The image below was taken with a Canon D20 using the same technique, stretching your arm out and hoping you have it framed correctly!

HOSTED PHOTO

This was taken while swimming at Akumal, Mexico. Lots of turtles there.

Littleoldman
201 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Jan 17, 2017 17:43 |  #13

WildImages wrote in post #18233929 (external link)
Here is lunker Brown Trout photographed in the Tomahawk State Wildlife Area of Colorado on the Middle Fork of the South Platte River. It was laying on the bottom in about 18 inches of water. To get to it with my Nikon AW1 camera with 10mm lens, I had to break ice on the surface of a backwater slough where this guy was resting. The things we sometimes do to get a picture!

It was during the spawning run, October, when I found this specimen. I think it was worn out from intensive activity and was resting next to a cutback overhang.

Attempting to document fresh water trout is fun but finding spawning streams one can work is challenging.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by WildImages in
./showthread.php?p=182​33929&i=i173340817
forum: Underwater Photography

Sweet Shot!!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Post has been edited 11 months ago by Tom Reichner.
Jan 18, 2017 11:12 |  #14

WildImages wrote in post #18243413 (external link)
I only guessed at the framing as I had to reach out so far I could not see the LCD on the back of the camera.

WildImages wrote in post #18243603 (external link)
The image below was taken with a Canon D20 using the same technique, stretching your arm out and hoping you have it framed correctly!

Is there any gear that allows you to see what the framing will be like before you shoot? Like the same way it is in above water photography?

Also, is there a reason that you need to shoot with such short focal lengths, and have the camera so close to the subject, or could you simply use a longer lens and be back at a further distance?

WildImages
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2009
Jan 18, 2017 16:03 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #15

Fresh water is quite turbid. Being close to your subject cuts down on the haze quite a bit.

I had to get close in this instance because objects on the stream bed would interfere with the picture.

I use the LCD on the back of the camera when I can but not in this instance. Therefore, guesswork was the order of the day. Getting over the stream bed interference now put that interference between me and the LCD.

sponsored links

2,200 views & 18 likes for this thread
Brown Trout Colorado
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.