Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 09:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone going for the GH5?

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Jan 06, 2017 09:36 |  #1

i thought i had my mind set on the Fuji xt2..

Video specs on the gh5 look pretty impressive..in a whole differnet league in that sense over the fuji.. and i do a fair amount of video

they are claiming improved high iso performance , although my a7sii covers me when in low light ..

what i've been looking for is a mirrorless system better with stills than my a7sii , that can handle a variety of poor weather conditions like my 5d3 could (no longer own)

Anyway , havent heard any chatter at all here about the gh5.. anyone else interested.. ?
(i know there isnt really a big M4/3 following here

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

sponsored links
Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Jan 06, 2017 12:19 |  #2

I picked up a Lumix 2500 for video. It's not a GH5, or even GH4, but I think it may suit my needs for wildlife. I'm just getting into videography. There's some chatter about the GH5 on this forum; http://www.dvinfo.net ...irst-impressions-gh5.html (external link)

flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jan 06, 2017 20:01 |  #3

Why not consider another video beast like the A7smk2.

The cost of the Gh5 is quite expensive for a video camera not capable of high iso video. Also I would imagine you'd need to add a 35-100, 12-35 and other primes and possibly a metabone adapter & Sigma 18-35mm zoom to utilize the gh5.

I'm assuming Sony eye tracking is still much better than Panny DFD AF technology.

The benefits of M43 for long telephoto needs in good light it's a nice combo.However I'd take a Fuji X-T2 with 100-400 or 40-150 any day especially when if light starts to diminish for still photography.

The M43 image quality IMO still has not surpassed my old Oly E-m5. Certainly if your using a tripod/monopod in high res mode you may get better IQ. M43 seems to be removing the AA filter to squeeze as much IQ out of the sensor.

As your a video guy you can probably stick with a gh5 and dedicate it for more ideal light situations. Use your sony for more superior image quality and low light shooting. My only concern is that your going to be dishing out more money for additional M43 lenses. The 14-140 never thrilled me as it's a variable aperture zoom with adequate image quality.

The panny gh5 is going to hit Canadian streets at 2700 CDN. I couldn't fathom spending that kind of money if I was hopeful in getting better stills IQ. For video application even the gh4 did not track that well for video using DFD.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

speedync
Goldmember
Joined May 2011
Geelong, Australia
Jan 07, 2017 21:18 |  #4

No. I don't do video. My GX8 already has 20 mp, an awesome tilting EVF the match of any full frame camera, the DFD is plenty good enough for me, and it's just the right size for my hands. It's weather sealed, and has plenty of manual controls, and customizable function buttons. Ripper little camera. About the only thing that half interests me, is Dual IS II. But I'm more than happy to wait and see what the GX9 brings to the table.

i-G12
Wat?
1,360 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Jan 20, 2017 20:11 |  #5

Looks to be a professional grade video camera.

If that is what you need fine otherwise...

Nothing else to see here.

tandemhearts
Joined Mar 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Jan 21, 2017 09:08 |  #6

I'm fairly sure I'll replace my EM1 Mark II with the GH5. The EM1.s's ProCapture only works with Oly lenses. Oly has nothing that could replace the 100-400 for me. I use the 4k image extract frequently, so bumping to 6k will be a benefit for me.

TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jan 29, 2017 16:59 |  #7

I went to a recent GH5 touch and try event and came back convinced and ready to make the move. I was in a dilemma back in the fall of 2016 wanting a new camera. Both Olympus and Panasonic pre-announced their new flagships and Olympus was the first to make the move. They promoted speed, speed, and more speed. It's a birders dream. It has great stills capabilities, has incredible IBIS and high res mode. I initially dismissed the GH5 as a videographers camera and didn't give it any thought. Then the rumors started trickling in and the information came out. AF joystick (huge!). Bluetooth for easier connections (demoed by Sean Robinson, the Panasonic Rep it and it looks to work great). Beautiful EVF (compared to the E-M1 II, it was clearly better). Much better touch screen (multi touch, touch works on all menus, AF trackpad works better). Even the controls make more sense to me. On the left you have a drive mode dial to switch from single, continuous, 6k photo mode, etc. I mostly shoot single but do occasionally shoot in continuous. Same goes for AF modes. I'm most in AF-S, but will shoot AF-C. Having a dial for that is nice. What took me by surprise was shifting to AF-C and seeing the same dancing squares like the E-M1 II and the Sony a6000 series. Also being able to customize AF areas more than the E-M1's single, all, 5 point and 9 point is nice. Having cases like the Canon 5D's and Fuji X-T2 is nice.

Compared to the E-M1II and 12-40 that I brought, the GH5 felt only slightly heavier. Felt great in the hand. I like to carry around the camera by the grip and it felt very comfortable. I already found a buyer for my E-M1 II and can't wait for the next few weeks before the GH5 arrives.

Current Gear: Nadda

rantercsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Jan 29, 2017 17:12 |  #8

i want the gh5.. just dont know if it makes sense for me..

i started off doing street photograpy, then got into portraits .. and within the last year and a half or so got into video ..

and so currently my main camera is a sony a7sii
awesome video camera .. not so awesome stills .. i mean its ok , but not great for street..
it makes sens for me to get the a6500 , first off i can share lenses .. second video files will be much easier to color match so it will make an awsome Bcam..
however , i dont think the a6500 will make a great street camera..or not as good as the gh4..

i had the gx8 ,, love panasonics touch screen.. and yeah that joystick!!
2 things hold me back from M4/3... lack of lighting options and limited low light abilities(if godox or flashpoint could get the gh5 to work with my 360ii streaklights i wouldnt even think twice.. actually i wouldnt have sold my gx8)

knowing myself i think eventually i will give the gh5 a try.. later this year probably .. just seems like too awsome of a camera to not try

Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Post has been edited 8 months ago by ChrisMc73.
Mar 22, 2017 16:46 |  #9

So this camera has caught my eye due to the video quality, but I'm not real sure I know much about the still photography side of this camera, never considered Panasonic. I'm currently using a 5D Mark II and it really needs an upgrade, this focusing system and video system is way out of date, lol. So I've started to kind of look at some of these other brands, Sony, Panasonic, etc...I think I want a camera that is excellent with video and photography, I know there is probably not one camera does all, but I'd like to be as close to this as I can get. My still photography ranges from a little bit of everything, portraits, street, sports, landscape, etc...and video is new to me but I want to start playing with small vblog type videos.

So do you all think this G5 is a good enough camera for everyday type of photography, nothing super specialized? And what about its video, seems pretty capable to me of anything I'd be needing.
I need to dig into some Sony threads to see the differences in those models and how they compare to this GH5.

I loved the 5DMKIV when I rented it for photos but didn't play with the video and have heard its not the greatest for video, so thats what led me to looking at other brands. My gear is old enough to sell and get some funding towards a new system, a 24-70MKI and 70-200MKI along with the body could give me a decent start.

I really need to know more about the GH5 and Sony's in comparison.

This video of the footage from a GH5 is amazing...
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=BoYbqSxPWrA (external link)

tandemhearts
Joined Mar 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 8 months ago by tandemhearts.
Mar 23, 2017 06:30 as a reply to ChrisMc73's post |  #10

Simply put, of course it is good enough for everyday photography. Heck, my cell phone is good enough for lots of things.

Sony rules the low light world. If you live above ISO 1600, you probably won't be happy with a m43 camera. If you need off camera TTL and/or HSS, your options are limited. This is changing. After years of not much 3rd party support, things are moving quickly in this area.

From a function and usability area, I think m43 has been ahead of Nikon and Canon for years. Panasonic mastered touch screen functions a couple of camera generations ago. Pany now has aperture bracketing - not exposure bracketing but actual aperture changes with a fixed exposure. And focus bracketing. I don't know if I'll ever use it, but it shows that Pany engineers are thinking about what to do with this light gathering computer they've built in ways that other don't seem to have caught on to.

Oddly, the GH5 will not shoot tethered by wire to a laptop. That's in a coming firmware update.

The GH5 manual just came out.
See below for the link.

rantercsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Mar 23, 2017 11:40 |  #11

ive owned m43 cameras, currently no longer own..
but yeah great all around cameras.. walk around , vacations etc..
if you do a search you'll find awesome landscapes , portraits etc..
but yeah , lighting was an issue,, I mean as far as off camera lights and hss
also as stated above low light does become an issue , and yeah iso1600 is about it before you really start to see issues( stills or video)
speed boosters help by a good stop of light.. that can be a huge difference..
loved the touch screen and the phone app was very good vs my current sony cameras its sucks

I've been searching for the all arounder for a good while.. and I think its a unicorn .. for myself atleast m4/3 are great , butyou take a hit with lowlight.. sony has the over heating issue that hasn't bothered me much yet(once actually in cancun while shooting under sun under very hot conditions) , but I don't shoot for long periods of time normally in 5 minute segments at most ..and something about sony color rendition that I struggle with as well as questionable durability (in terms of environmental conditions)
And canon.. well apparently they don't really care about video in dslr ,, they reserve there good stuff for their cinema line cameras.. :rolleyes:

at the moment i'm doing more video than stills.. with an a7sii and a6500 , I've got low light covered well .. still something about the usability of sony cameras that I have learned but just hasn't felt as good as when I had my Panasonic gx8
sometimes I wonder.. maybe gh5 and invest in some proper lights?

Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Mar 23, 2017 12:59 |  #12

tandemhearts wrote in post #18308526 (external link)
Simply put, of course it is good enough for everyday photography. Heck, my cell phone is good enough for lots of things.

The GH5 manual just came out.

GH5 PDF (external link)

This link is to a JPG picture, can you fix it so its the PDF? :)

Thanks for the information, I appreciate your inputs.

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Mar 23, 2017 13:04 |  #13

rantercsr wrote in post #18308697 (external link)
ive owned m43 cameras, currently no longer own..
but yeah great all around cameras.. walk around , vacations etc..
if you do a search you'll find awesome landscapes , portraits etc..
but yeah , lighting was an issue,, I mean as far as off camera lights and hss
also as stated above low light does become an issue , and yeah iso1600 is about it before you really start to see issues( stills or video)
speed boosters help by a good stop of light.. that can be a huge difference..
loved the touch screen and the phone app was very good vs my current sony cameras its sucks

I've been searching for the all arounder for a good while.. and I think its a unicorn .. for myself atleast m4/3 are great , butyou take a hit with lowlight.. sony has the over heating issue that hasn't bothered me much yet(once actually in cancun while shooting under sun under very hot conditions) , but I don't shoot for long periods of time normally in 5 minute segments at most ..and something about sony color rendition that I struggle with as well as questionable durability (in terms of environmental conditions)
And canon.. well apparently they don't really care about video in dslr ,, they reserve there good stuff for their cinema line cameras.. :rolleyes:

at the moment i'm doing more video than stills.. with an a7sii and a6500 , I've got low light covered well .. still something about the usability of sony cameras that I have learned but just hasn't felt as good as when I had my Panasonic gx8
sometimes I wonder.. maybe gh5 and invest in some proper lights?

I think you're right, unicorn is a great word to sum it. It makes sense, I mean its nearly impossible to cram everything everyone wants all into one camera, especially when you're trying two mediums, still vs motion. Maybe I just need to find the best of both in two cameras and suck it up. I'm sure there are one or two cameras that get you kind of close to both, close enough to make you happy, I just haven't decided or found one yet to grab me. Of course I just started looking and researching, which is why I'm here. Thanks for the continued information sharing.

tandemhearts
Joined Mar 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
Mar 23, 2017 13:37 |  #14

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #18308770 (external link)
This link is to a JPG picture, can you fix it so its the PDF? :)

Thanks for the information, I appreciate your inputs.

Oops. Try this link
https://eww.pavc.panas​onic.co.jp ...DC-GH5_DVQP1121ZA_eng.pdf (external link)

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Mar 23, 2017 14:09 as a reply to tandemhearts's post |  #15

Thank you!

sponsored links

2,482 views & 2 likes for this thread
Anyone going for the GH5?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.