Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 09:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Anyone going for the GH5?

bbk9011
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2017
Mar 24, 2017 12:45 |  #16

I cant wait much longer for GH5 camera. I just bought and tested the lumix g85. In low light the this camera is capable of serious video recording at iso 3200. I seldomly see myself above iso 3200 with fast prime lenses when recording video. Im sure they will improve the iso capability with the GH5 over the G85.

TMaG82
957 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Mar 27, 2017 09:01 |  #17

For me m4/3 is a good compromise between features and performance. The lenses are sharp and small. Larger aperture lenses are going to be expensive and larger. A full range of 1.7/1.8 lenses are great. But I'd be lying if I said that there isn't a difference in stills. For me I use zooms exclusively outdoors and indoors and in low light I'm using primes. On my FF cameras I would use my 2.8 zooms indoors since higher ISO performance was stronger. 2.8 on a m4/3 and 2.8 on a FF will behave differently, not just in terms of DoF but in terms of acceptable noise. On FF my preferred ceiling was 6400, sometimes venturing to 8000-10000 on the newer cameras. I do find it true that FF is about two stops better than m4/3 in terms of noise, so for me my preferred ceiling is 1600, going up to 3200 rarely and higher even fewer if I just want to get the shot. But luckily the GH5 has a pretty good IBIS system and when combined with lens IS, the Dual IS system works very well. So if my subject isn't moving then I'll be able to shoot at 1/25 or slower and still get the shot.

Current Gear: Nadda

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Mar 27, 2017 09:25 |  #18

TMaG82 wrote in post #18312180 (external link)
For me m4/3 is a good compromise between features and performance. The lenses are sharp and small. Larger aperture lenses are going to be expensive and larger. A full range of 1.7/1.8 lenses are great. But I'd be lying if I said that there isn't a difference in stills. For me I use zooms exclusively outdoors and indoors and in low light I'm using primes. On my FF cameras I would use my 2.8 zooms indoors since higher ISO performance was stronger. 2.8 on a m4/3 and 2.8 on a FF will behave differently, not just in terms of DoF but in terms of acceptable noise. On FF my preferred ceiling was 6400, sometimes venturing to 8000-10000 on the newer cameras. I do find it true that FF is about two stops better than m4/3 in terms of noise, so for me my preferred ceiling is 1600, going up to 3200 rarely and higher even fewer if I just want to get the shot. But luckily the GH5 has a pretty good IBIS system and when combined with lens IS, the Dual IS system works very well. So if my subject isn't moving then I'll be able to shoot at 1/25 or slower and still get the shot.

IS or Dual IS still doesn't resolve a high percentage of photogapher's needs when there is movement. This is where it becomes incredibly difficult to choose a system sometimes. For example buying a Sony A6500 for still photography that is for landscape, portrait and lifestyle documentation is probably a better tool simply because of high iso performance.

A videographer will love the GH5 for it's powerful tools and features of the M43 camera. But for people hunting for a universal application stills camera with video capabilities even the EOS M5 is a fabulous camera for stills (high iso) and dual pixel AF video for a high percentage of photographers.

The M43 world has been heavily relying on IS from the beginning. It definitely helps a lot but some cannot accept motion blur in their photos. This is where shutter speed is very crucial in capturing non blurry photos.

The $2700 CDN sticker price is still a shocker for me.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

rantercsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Post has been last edited 7 months ago by rantercsr. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 27, 2017 09:42 |  #19

Seeing some reports that the 10bit 4.2.2 video doesnt make sense to bother using .. not until they release the 400mbps version as promised later in the year..
No visual difference in quality

I really am tempted to sell the a7sii and get gh5.. i own a pair of aputure amaran 672 leds.. and if i add one or maybe a pair of aputure ls1's .. i should have lighting covered decently for a gh5?.. maybe

Id still have the a6500.. or maybe keep a7sii and sell a6500
And theres always speedbooster that help by a stop..
Dont want to mak3 any hasty d3cisions tho

Iso 52,000 has helped me more than once

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

2,458 views & 2 likes for this thread
Anyone going for the GH5?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Panasonic Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.