Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 11:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

T3i- MOV files limited to 4GB?

56_kruiser
74 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post has been edited 10 months ago by 56_kruiser.
Jan 06, 2017 11:43 |  #1

First off, I messed up in the title. The camera is a T2i

I'm guessing nothing can be done about it, but it appears that file sizes on the Canon T3i are limited to 4GB, which is 12 minutes of video. Even though the display says there is 30 minutes of video space available.

Just posting to see if anyone has found a work around for this.

Canon EOS T2i

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Post has been edited 10 months ago by Larry Johnson.
Jan 06, 2017 12:24 |  #2

Might not be a work around. https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/28023​19 (external link)

flickr (external link)

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
Joined Oct 2013
NJ, USA
Jan 06, 2017 12:43 |  #3

The memory card file format is FAT32, which has a 4GB file size limit. The 30m limit is to avoid being taxed at a higher rate as a video camera in the EU. Some DSLR's will restart automatically when the 4GB file size limit is reached, but they all need to you manually resume recording at the 30m limit.

MagicLantern firmware for the T3i will restart recording automatically and ignores the 30m limit. But my question is why?

I don't think I've ever recorded one uninterrupted segment longer than 10 minutes. And most of my recordings are in the 45s - 5m range. How the heck would you edit that clip? And who would bear to watch it without chemical assistance? Even when recording long training sessions or presentations, I break the session up into smaller segments.

But take a look into MagicLantern (http://magiclantern.fm (external link)).

-- Mark | Gear | Flickrexternal link | Picasaexternal link | Youtubeexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Image editing is okay

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,452 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jan 07, 2017 09:17 as a reply to bumpintheroad's post |  #4

A tutorial exists at http://www.magiclanter​n.fm/forum/index.php?t​opic=13111.0 (external link) on how to put Magic Lantern on the T2i, which the OP stated he has, not the T3i in the original title.

As mentioned the tax structures are one reason to limit a video to 4 GB, otherwise it becomes a video camera. Another reason is heating of the sensor which Canon says can occur and I assume a warning appears. In my 60D I have only had such a warning one one occasion and that was an extremely hot day (95 deg F) of taping horses jumping. So I would tape a 15 second clip, pause, perhaps 30 seconds, tape 15, pause 30, etc. After a 1/2 of doing this I got a sensor temperature warning. As I said it was a hot day and the camera essentially was in direct overhead sun.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,528 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
May 10, 2017 09:32 |  #5

bumpintheroad wrote in post #18235597 (external link)
The memory card file format is FAT32, which has a 4GB file size limit. The 30m limit is to avoid being taxed at a higher rate as a video camera in the EU. Some DSLR's will restart automatically when the 4GB file size limit is reached, but they all need to you manually resume recording at the 30m limit.

MagicLantern firmware for the T3i will restart recording automatically and ignores the 30m limit. But my question is why?

I don't think I've ever recorded one uninterrupted segment longer than 10 minutes. And most of my recordings are in the 45s - 5m range. How the heck would you edit that clip? And who would bear to watch it without chemical assistance? Even when recording long training sessions or presentations, I break the session up into smaller segments.

Unattended recording of presentations.

I frequently video presentations and stage productions in which I'll have two unattended cameras at the sides and one camera I'm attending at the center.

Often the unattended cameras are mounted high in positions I can't reach once the presentation has begun. I work around the 30min limit by usually being able to get within distance and direction to use the IR remote to stop and start recording as a convenient time just short of the 30min point.

4,255 views & 0 likes for this thread
T3i- MOV files limited to 4GB?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.