Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 06 Jan 2017 (Friday) 12:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Costa Rica Photo Trip

Mr_ipsum
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Jan 06, 2017 12:34 |  #1

So it's official I've booked my trip for Costa Rica later this year. It's a trip purely for photography. My main goal is to photograph as much wildlife as I can. I would like to get some sunset shots and general rain forest shots as well. I'll probably only be spending a day and a half at the most in San Jose, the rest of the trip will be in the vicinity of the Osa Peninsula. I wanted to get some opinions on what to bring/leave at home.

What I have:
Canon 5D Mark iii
Canon 7D Mark ii

Canon 100-400 L ii
Canon 24-70 L ii
Canon 16-35

Canon Speedlight 430 EX ii

One of the things I'm worried about is packing light but still having some versatility. The planes to get to some of the remote areas have weight limits for carry-ons. I can probably leave the 16-35 at home. The other lens I was thinking of getting before leaving is the Canon 100 L Macro. Going to be doing some evening rain forest exploration hoping to get shots of red-eyed tree frogs.

I've learned from other outings to always keep my gear with me and ready to shoot. I've missed some great shots because of that. So most likely I'll being carrying two lenses on most days. Yeah, it's heavy but I've done it before. At least my bag will be much lighter.

Any tips on what I should bring for photo gear and other essentials?

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Jun 09, 2017 02:55 |  #2

Costa Rica is amazing, enjoy your trip! I wish I'd been more into photography back when I went.

Good thought on the macro; the rainforest is full of small wonders.

I think you'll miss the 16-35 if you want to shoot any landscapes. Costa Rica has amazing beaches and sunrise/sunsets! If you're wanting to shoot landscapes, a good travel tripod doesn't add much weight or bulk.

If you're planning on any telephoto shots using flash you're going to want a flash beamer. Costa Rica has tons of beautiful birds that you're going to want to shoot pics of!

My Gearand Feedback
My 365 Project (Est. 5/1/10)external link

JonQCanon
Joined Nov 2012
Oklahoma
Jun 09, 2017 13:02 |  #3

Definitely get the macro. There are so many great insects there!

Also, if you're staying in an air-conditioned room, be sure to let your gear "warm up" in air-tight plastic bags outside before trying to shoot, or you'll end up with fogged up lenses!

Have fun!

www.grinandbarrettphot​ography.comexternal link

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Jun 09, 2017 13:23 |  #4

24-70 should be wide enough. Leave the 16-35 at home and take a light tripod instead. Shooting in the jungle is brutal.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Mr_ipsum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Jun 19, 2017 10:40 |  #5

kayl wrote in post #18374393 (external link)
Costa Rica is amazing, enjoy your trip! I wish I'd been more into photography back when I went.

Good thought on the macro; the rainforest is full of small wonders.

I think you'll miss the 16-35 if you want to shoot any landscapes. Costa Rica has amazing beaches and sunrise/sunsets! If you're wanting to shoot landscapes, a good travel tripod doesn't add much weight or bulk.

If you're planning on any telephoto shots using flash you're going to want a flash beamer. Costa Rica has tons of beautiful birds that you're going to want to shoot pics of!

Thanks, I just picked up this MeFOTO tripod (external link), much lighter and so much more compact than my Slik tripod, I hated lugging that thing around even in my car, so I knew that wasn't going to work in the rainforest.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

Mr_ipsum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Jun 19, 2017 10:47 |  #6

JonQCanon wrote in post #18374674 (external link)
Definitely get the macro. There are so many great insects there!

Also, if you're staying in an air-conditioned room, be sure to let your gear "warm up" in air-tight plastic bags outside before trying to shoot, or you'll end up with fogged up lenses!

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip. That seems like something that I would figure out after making the mistake on the first day. Either way, the place I'm staying is open-air, no AC, so that should be fun.

kayl
Joined Apr 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Jun 19, 2017 15:27 |  #7

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18381903 (external link)
Thanks, I just picked up this MeFOTO tripod (external link), much lighter and so much more compact than my Slik tripod, I hated lugging that thing around even in my car, so I knew that wasn't going to work in the rainforest.

Nice! I actually just ordered the same one. Enjoy! :)

My Gearand Feedback
My 365 Project (Est. 5/1/10)external link

philmar
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
Toronto, Canada
Jun 26, 2017 00:17 |  #8

the biggest challenge in the jungle is the low light - bring fast lenses.

A photo I took HERE published in National Geographic
Time on your hands? Then
HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on
 (external link):

http://https ...photos/phil_marion/​albums (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jun 26, 2017 04:53 |  #9

Congrats on the adventure, will definitely be interested in seeing your trip report when you return! I'm especially curious about how your gear choices work out, as I'm definitely wanting to go to CR someday in the near future. Especially the 100L, I am imagining this lens getting a good workout.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links

4,491 views & 0 likes for this thread
Costa Rica Photo Trip
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.