Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 08 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 14:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Copyright

rpearce12
Goldmember
1,677 posts
Joined Feb 2008
South Carolina
Jan 08, 2017 14:35 |  #1

What is the general rule for wedding photogs and copyrights? I am getting married and am reviewing the contract - the photographer will own all photos and will make them available on his website to buy, but will also give my fiancé and me a full-res hard drive with all photos. I don't want to sell the photos, however I do want to be able to give them to anyone and everyone that I choose.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. Apologies if this has been posted - I could not find via search.

Richard

My Gear
Smug Mug
http://s101.photobucke​t.com/albums/m70/rpear​ce12/external link

sponsored links
LucasCK
348 posts
Joined May 2010
Jan 09, 2017 03:17 |  #2

Find yourself another photographer :)

5d4, 2x6d, 5d2, 24-70L II, Sigma 35A 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, 135 2.0L, 430ex2, 600ex-rt
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com (external link)
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com ...ane-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Colin Glover.
Jan 09, 2017 04:40 |  #3

Joint copyright is the norm. However, only the photographer has the right to sell the photographs. Thus, whilst you can do what you want to your hearts content, if a wedding magazine or TV editor wanted to use your photos and pay you, you couldn't. And there's an INFERENCE that if you wanted to give the photos to the mag for free, because the norm is for them to buy the usage rights, you'd still be in breach. As to needing your permission to sell without your consent, there is usually a clause that says you waive all rights for resale to the tog. Like a model release.
As for getting another photographer its generally not necessary. Most togs these days are happy to let you print off your own images. The only ones who aren't are those who make money from individual print sales. Check with your photographer and only if he's going to insist you don't give out images to friends do you look elsewhere. Good togs are hard to find.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 09, 2017 10:56 |  #4

That sounds pretty close to my contract as well. Just talk to the photographer. I have no problem with my clients giving the photos to mom dad, uncle bob. I do have a problem if they want to give them away or sell them to a magazine or something like that without talking to me first.

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Jan 09, 2017 13:22 |  #5

rpearce12 wrote in post #18237816 (external link)
What is the general rule for wedding photogs and copyrights? I am getting married and am reviewing the contract - the photographer will own all photos and will make them available on his website to buy, but will also give my fiancé and me a full-res hard drive with all photos. I don't want to sell the photos, however I do want to be able to give them to anyone and everyone that I choose.

What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. Apologies if this has been posted - I could not find via search.

Sounds pretty standard to me as well. You would have to ask him/her specifically if you are allowed to print pictures for family members to know for sure. However, even if he/she said he would not allow it, how would he/she ever know? :rolleyes: I'm not suggesting you intentionally make plans to violate the contract, but since there really is no way to enforce something like that, most photographers don't limit you.

As mentioned above, selling the images or even giving them for free to some commercial entity is asking for trouble.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 09, 2017 13:46 |  #6

What would be the purpose of a wedding photographer providing high res images on a drive if their position was that you can not make prints from them? Seems contrary.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Post has been edited 9 months ago by mannetti21.
Jan 09, 2017 15:45 |  #7

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18238991 (external link)
What would be the purpose of a wedding photographer providing high res images on a drive if their position was that you can not make prints from them? Seems contrary.

I think the concern was the client making prints not for themselves, but distributing prints to their friends/family. That would essentially eliminate the number of prints sold. Still, I didn't think any wedding photographers really banked on selling prints to anyone other than the bride/groom.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

98kellrs
Joined Oct 2012
Perth, Australia
Jan 09, 2017 16:13 |  #8

That sounds fairly normal, you'll have personal useage rights which will include sharing with family, friends and most likely social media, prints etc but you will no be allowed to profit from their work. (Sell the images to magazine, use them for business advertising etc).

Talk to the photographer :-)

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jan 10, 2017 09:03 |  #9

You have to spell this out in your contracts

1-We own the copyrights

2-Bride has permission to use files for personal use and printing needs

3-Images cant be published in any magazine or on any on-line publication w/o express written consent from our company. If Images are published w/o written permission clients will be charged standard industry rates for commercial use in publications. This can exceed $1000.00.

We provide our clients Print files and Web files that are watermarked for web use. We have this conversation with every family we photograph. They initial and sign the copyright sections of the contract or we wont photograph the wedding

I have yet to loose a client over this section of our contracts

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Amadauss
Joined Nov 2010
Lehigh Valley Pa
Jan 11, 2017 21:54 |  #10

umphotography wrote in post #18239810 (external link)

1-We own the copyrights

3-Images cant be published in any magazine or on any on-line publication w/o express written consent from our company. If Images are published w/o written permission clients will be charged standard industry rates for commercial use in publications. This can exceed $1000.00.

We provide our clients Print files and Web files that are watermarked for web use. We have this conversation with every family we photograph. They initial and sign the copyright sections of the contract or we wont photograph the wedding

You are my hero Mike. I need to jump on this bandwagon!

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

evolyllaphotography
Joined Dec 2016
Toronto
Jan 18, 2017 10:27 |  #11

you should be able to give them to family and friends as long as it's for personal use only and not commercial

Toronto Documentary Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Jan 18, 2017 13:16 |  #12

It's standard for the photographer to own copyright, mostly to cover themselves, and so they can use them for awards, website and such. Technically you shouldn't give files away, but you could give prints away, but in practice I suspect everyone copies the disk/USB for everyone who wants it. Personally I don't much care what people do with the images I create.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Post has been edited 6 months ago by dmward.
Mar 30, 2017 18:04 |  #13

There are several approaches to releases for images from weddings.
Generally photographers are interested in protecting revenue potential from the wedding.
After that is exhausted the images have little residual value to the photographer other than for portfolio purposes and sharing with venues, florists, caterers, etc.

Mike's approach sounds reasonable and is a good model.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,490 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 31, 2017 07:41 |  #14

Mike and a couple of others have given the current, modern practice.

The photographer normally retains copyright which, among other things, continues to give him the ability to claim authorship of the work. In the US, the copyright owner can claim authorship; in Europe, claiming authorship--called "moral copyright"--is a separate and inalienable right in itself. With additional proper permission from persons in the photographs, owning the copyright also gives the photographers continued right to use the work for self-promotion and other uses.

These days wedding photographers don't expect to make much if any additional income from downstream sales from the clients (including friends and relatives)--their money is negotiated in the contract up front.

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Southern California
May 19, 2017 13:27 |  #15

Yup, what he said:

umphotography wrote in post #18239810 (external link)

1-We own the copyrights

Print rights are given to all of my wedding clients.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.comexternal link
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.comexternal link

sponsored links

4,655 views & 11 likes for this thread
Wedding Copyright
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.