Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 11 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 04:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Truck + Driver for Transportation company - C&C please

Jocce
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 11, 2017 04:15 |  #1

I got to do some shots for a Transportation Company that specializes in just special transports.

Had very limited time with both of the drivers/trucks.

Here are two of the images they use on their Website.

Any C&C are welcome, since this was my firts of this kind of job!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

/Jocce

Feel free to correct my English. I'm from Sweden ;)

My Website (external link)
Fotointresse.se (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,852 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Jan 11, 2017 07:49 |  #2

The left hand side is very distorted - as if you used a very wide lens (guessing its 16-20mm ff equivalent)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Jocce.
Jan 11, 2017 09:00 |  #3

Echo63 wrote in post #18240869 (external link)
The left hand side is very distorted - as if you used a very wide lens (guessing its 16-20mm ff equivalent)

Had to use my 17-40, was a little bit lack of space :(
(And the customer did not give me any time to prepare/scout locations and was in a hurry..)

(Edit: But could propably have stepped back a couple of steps on the smaller truck)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,852 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Jan 11, 2017 09:05 |  #4

Jocce wrote in post #18240918 (external link)
Had to use my 17-40, was a little bit lack of space :(
(And the customer did not give me any time to prepare/scout locations and was in a hurry..)

(Edit: But could propably have stepped back a couple of steps on the smaller truck)

/Jocce

Not much you can do about it now - but you will keep an eye out for it next time.

Last minute, no location scouting jobs were the norm when i was working for a newspaper, after a while you get used to it, and can pull good pictures out of a poor situation.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 11, 2017 09:12 |  #5

Echo63 wrote in post #18240923 (external link)
Not much you can do about it now - but you will keep an eye out for it next time.

Last minute, no location scouting jobs were the norm when i was working for a newspaper, after a while you get used to it, and can pull good pictures out of a poor situation.

Yes, that is exactly why I am posting C&C like this, to be able to learn for the future :)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by ksbal. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 11, 2017 09:27 |  #6

As these are akin to 'hero' shots and we get to monday morning quarter back.. here are my thoughts.

Your lighting is great on the equipment, sucks on the people. The lighting on the people sucks because having them turn into the sunlight so they were at a 45* to you, and have them fold their arms, legs apart at shoulder width would have both of them look 'stronger' more in line with the job and the equipment behind them. AND/OR used some strategic fill flash on the shadow side of the people to fill the light in a bit, bare flash will work if balanced right.

Her shadow is covering the nose of that little truck, and it bothers me. Would have moved her around a bit to compensate. Also would have had her holding helmet, tool, something as an alternate.

His placement is just a bit off, IMHO, I would have moved him over the rear tire a bit more, that boom is a cool compositional element that could have been used a bit better.

I do like the pink/green balance you went for here, I do think that was a good way to go.

So I think you did very well for a short 'walk in and shoot this in 5 minutes' and I'm not saying I'd have done any better, other than fill flash, and better posing of the people. The gal in particular I wish would have looked more confident. Hindsight is always a goodthing/badthing.

I do think processing is great, love the color enhancement.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 11, 2017 09:30 |  #7

ksbal wrote in post #18240942 (external link)
As these are akin to 'hero' shots and we get to monday morning quarter back.. here are my thoughts.

Your lighting is great on the equipment, sucks on the people. The lighting on the people sucks because having them turn into the sunlight so they were at a 45* to you, and have them fold their arms, legs apart at shoulder width would have both of them look 'stronger' more in line with the job and the equipment behind them. AND/OR used some strategic fill flash on the shadow side of the people to fill the light in a bit, bare flash will work if balanced right.

Her shadow is covering the nose of that little truck, and it bothers me. Would have moved her around a bit to compensate. Also would have had her holding helmet, tool, something as an alternate.

His placement is just a bit off, IMHO, I would have moved him over the rear tire a bit more, that boom is a cool compositional element that could have been used a bit better.

I do like the pink/green balance you went for here, I do think that was a good way to go.

So I think you did very well for a short 'walk in and shoot this in 5 minutes' and I'm not saying I'd have done any better, other than used of fill flash, and better posing of the people. The gal in particular I wish would have looked more confident. Hindsight is always a goodthing/badthing.

I do think processing is great, love the color enhancement.

Thanks, this is exactly what I am looking for in a C&C post :) Taking it all in and will bring it to the next shoot!

Regarding flash, I HAD a flash, BUT did nog get it close enough :(

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited 9 months ago by ksbal.
Jan 11, 2017 09:36 as a reply to Jocce's post |  #8

Good, I do want to impress that I don't think you did bad, and not sure I'd do better under the time constraints, but some things to think about for next time.

May need a strobe on a battery if you do this regularly, I know it is on my list to get.

Get some people to practice poses with, its more about getting comfortable posing them, then about the actual poses... I've been working with models now on TFP basis, and it really helps, along with studying classical ways to pose them.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 12, 2017 01:49 |  #9

ksbal wrote in post #18240950 (external link)
Good, I do want to impress that I don't think you did bad, and not sure I'd do better under the time constraints, but some things to think about for next time.

May need a strobe on a battery if you do this regularly, I know it is on my list to get.

Get some people to practice poses with, its more about getting comfortable posing them, then about the actual poses... I've been working with models now on TFP basis, and it really helps, along with studying classical ways to pose them.

Thank you again! :)

Yes, I'm looking in to getting some TFP-work done so that I can practice both Lightning-setup and posing!

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

wamvar
44 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 16, 2017 07:45 |  #10

The technical parts they already exposed them, my serious opinion in the composition; The man gives to the image weakness, overexposed by the strength of the machine, but in the second, weakness is presented by the machine; The woman presents confidence, security, dedication and strength; If we combine the strength of the machine with the image of the woman, the composition would gain strength and express better the image of the company. something like this:

HOSTED PHOTO
;-)a

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 16, 2017 07:50 |  #11

wamvar wrote in post #18245914 (external link)
The technical parts they already exposed them, my serious opinion in the composition; The man gives to the image weakness, overexposed by the strength of the machine, but in the second, weakness is presented by the machine; The woman presents confidence, security, dedication and strength; If we combine the strength of the machine with the image of the woman, the composition would gain strength and express better the image of the company. something like this:
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by wamvar in
./showthread.php?p=182​45914&i=i266074816
forum: Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
;-)a

Another pose for the male driver would maybe have been better?

Or perhaps some more light on him as well?

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

wamvar
44 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 16, 2017 08:01 |  #12

yes; Maybe another pose would be better, his hands express insecurity, how to grasp the object he has, maybe he felt some shame in front of the camera; It is part of our job to make people feel comfortable and confident about themselves so they can follow our directions.:-P

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 16, 2017 08:04 |  #13

wamvar wrote in post #18245926 (external link)
yes; Maybe another pose would be better, his hands express insecurity, how to grasp the object he has, maybe he felt some shame in front of the camera; It is part of our job to make people feel comfortable and confident about themselves so they can follow our directions.:-P

He is actually holding it exactly like he would be operating the boom ;)

But I do see your point and I am trying to evolve in this kind of photo :)

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

ma11rats
Joined Feb 2013
Az
Post has been edited 9 months ago by ma11rats.
Jan 17, 2017 10:39 |  #14

Not sure I like that you're looking up at the lady. Wide angle, shot from what appears to be her waist, stretches her and makes the viewer look up her nose.

With regards to your flash, you were clearly in HSS mode since you're shooting at 1/800. For a speedlite to actually have made a difference you'd have had to have it so close it would have been in the frame at 17mm. The pulsing of HSS takes a LOT of the power out. Not sure why you were all the way up at 1/800. Nothing's moving in the image correct? You could have been at ISO 100 and 1/200(sync speed). And being at 17mm, I'm not sure you'd needed to be stopped all the way down to f8 for enough depth of field, f5.6 may have been enough?? All these changes could have made the flash more effective.

But for 5min on your first environmental portrait shoot I'd say it's not bad. Curious what the images would look like if you hit the lens profile correction. I think it'd brighten those corners up quite a bit.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
5D, 6D, 80D, 35f2IS, 135L, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, Tok 12-28f4

Jocce
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Jan 18, 2017 01:26 |  #15

ma11rats wrote in post #18247202 (external link)
Not sure I like that you're looking up at the lady. Wide angle, shot from what appears to be her waist, stretches her and makes the viewer look up her nose.

With regards to your flash, you were clearly in HSS mode since you're shooting at 1/800. For a speedlite to actually have made a difference you'd have had to have it so close it would have been in the frame at 17mm. The pulsing of HSS takes a LOT of the power out. Not sure why you were all the way up at 1/800. Nothing's moving in the image correct? You could have been at ISO 100 and 1/200(sync speed). And being at 17mm, I'm not sure you'd needed to be stopped all the way down to f8 for enough depth of field, f5.6 may have been enough?? All these changes could have made the flash more effective.

But for 5min on your first environmental portrait shoot I'd say it's not bad. Curious what the images would look like if you hit the lens profile correction. I think it'd brighten those corners up quite a bit.

Thanks for the input! Taking all of these with me for my next shoot! (That hopefully gives me some more time at site ;) )

I have run Lens Correction, but the customer liked the feeling the vignetting gave to the image så I added it in post...

/Jocce

Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

2,348 views & 7 likes for this thread
Truck + Driver for Transportation company - C&C please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.