Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 17 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 09:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is this part?

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 17, 2017 09:07 |  #1

Opened up my bag when I got to work today to take a few pictures of something we 3D printed, and found this piece sitting on top of one of my extra lenses in my bag. I don't see anything missing from my camera or from any of my accessories but I'm sure it's something camera-related as it has a Canon logo on it. For reference, I have a Canon EOS Rebel T6s with a Neewer grip and lots of lenses and other accessories. Please help, what is this piece?

Thanks,
Joe

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Jan 17, 2017 09:14 |  #2

It's the piece which holds in place the viewfinder rubber cup (eyepiece)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Jan 17, 2017 09:20 |  #3

^^^ Yup.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

cookiejay
Joined Jun 2012
Nottingham, UK
Jan 17, 2017 09:46 |  #4

simply slides back in to place, doesn't look broken or anything. Lost a couple of these in the past :lol:

"It's a shame about the professional photographer" ~ Some Guy, overheard at my first wedding gig :lol: flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jan 17, 2017 09:48 |  #5

cookiejay wrote in post #18247138 (external link)
Lost a couple of these in the past :lol:

same here... i dont even use one on my SL1 anymore

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,502 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Post has been edited 11 months ago by rrblint.
Jan 17, 2017 09:55 |  #6

This is where it goes:

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

TreeburnerCT
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 17, 2017 09:58 |  #7

Thanks, wonder how long it would have taken me to notice?

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Jan 17, 2017 11:23 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #8

dunno, but i don't even know how long I was using my SL1 without the eye piece before I noticed it. Never found the eye piece either. And I don't notice now that it's missing either.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jan 17, 2017 11:52 |  #9

Last year I noticed my SL1 eyepiece missing. Ordered a new one (knockoff) from eBay for a couple of bucks. Worked fine. Of course I found the original a couple of months later, under something. So now I have two.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jan 17, 2017 12:28 |  #10

Archibald wrote in post #18247274 (external link)
Last year I noticed my SL1 eyepiece missing. Ordered a new one (knockoff) from eBay for a couple of bucks. Worked fine. Of course I found the original a couple of months later, under something. So now I have two.

Not a bad idea, since they're so easy to lose.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

JMAST
104 posts
Joined Jun 2007
NILES. IL
Jan 17, 2017 12:38 |  #11

I've had mine slip off in the field, never found it. Dip a toothpick in some RTV silicone adhesive and put some in the channel that it slides into, will never slip off again, yet it can still be removed with a little tug.

7D w/Canon grip, G12, 30D w/Canon grip, Canon 70-200L 2.8 , Canon 100-400L, Canon 28-135 IS 3.5 ,Sigma 18-50 2.8,Tokina 11-16 2.8,Canon 50 1.8

http://j-mastalerz.smugmug.com/external link

oldvultureface
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Northwest Indiana USA
Jan 18, 2017 11:17 |  #12

My eyepiece is lost in the sand at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan. If anyone finds it please PM me.

ṐṼḞ

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jan 18, 2017 16:37 |  #13

Lost the one off my 300D at some point, then did the same for the one on my 20D, and not too long after getting the 50D I lost the one off that. The biggest issue is that they slide up to remove, so when you push the body down into the cut foam of your bag, I use hard case cut and pluck foam in by backpack bag, it gets slid up and off. If you use your camera on a tripod with any regularity you need to keep removing it so that you can fit the little eyepiece cover that stops stray light coming back in through the OVF and adversely affecting the camera's lightmeter, which is located in the pentaprism/pentamirror housing. I once tried to get a replacement for the 300D, but the person on the telephone sales line couldn't figure out what I wanted, and kept trying to sell me a diopter correction lens holder for a 30D.

I have noticed that during a really long airshow weekend where I might make upwards of 3000 exposures a day having the rubber in place does cushion the eyebrow a little. So maybe I'll get one for this years airshow season. But probably not.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

1,609 views & 6 likes for this thread
What is this part?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.