Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk
Thread started 19 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 21:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photographing aircraft

SpiderMonkey
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Jan 19, 2017 21:06 |  #1

I work on aircraft and have always enjoyed photography (amateur/hobby).
I take pictures of airplanes all the time and lately have started to think that it would be good to combine the two as a side job type thing so, I am looking for some advice on how to bring this to reality.
My first question is, are there any photographers here who already do this?
How did you start? There is an FBO that handles corporate jets on a daily basis that I could probably start with in contacting owners who are thinking of selling.
If I were photographing aircraft that will be listed for sale, obviously I will need both interior and exterior shots so, the question I have is what lens would be recommended for this? I currently use a Canon 60D and will be purchasing a Canon 5D Mk IV soon so, I do know that the EFS lens is taboo on the 5D so the lens will need to be an EF so I can use it on both bodies. I do have a selection of lenses already but am curious as to suggestions that could possibly be used for both interior and exterior.
I do have the ability to "practice" by photographing the aircraft I work on.

I have bought books on this matter but it turns out that they are all just collections of aircraft in flight or pictures of random aircraft on the ramp which does me no good at all. I've only been able to find one website that talks about photographing interiors of aircraft but it only talks about set up as in how to dress up the seats and tables, nothing about lighting, lenses, exposure or anything that would actually help me with what I want to know.

I appreciate any input you may have and any stories you are willing to tell. Thank you

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 10 months ago by PhotosGuy with reason 'more...'.
Jan 19, 2017 21:33 |  #2

Jay Beckman, "Flyingphotog" (external link), does a lot of work in aviation. I haven't seen him here lately, but he has some nice light on #8 here: (Air) Great Light and a Nice Mix,and on his site.
You'll find that light is the most important thing to be aware of, more so than the equipment that you use. Look through the threads here in Transportation, ask questions, shoot lots, & you will be prepared for that first paying job that you get. ; )

Start with Your Best 3 Aviation Shots

Airshow guys - prop freeze?

Helicopter Prop Blur

And...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

SpiderMonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Jan 19, 2017 21:53 |  #3

Thank you.
Interesting that you express the importance of lighting, I signed up for an advanced photography class using flash, it doesn't start until middle of next month. I do have a few Yongnuo YN560 III's and YN560 IV's, not the greatest but for the price, I couldn't turn it down. It'll be nice to know how to really use them properly and make them work for me.

Is that a '68 Charger?

PhotosGuy
74,862 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jan 19, 2017 22:02 |  #4

Close... '69 Charger RT

Another thread, 'cause cars & aircraft have a lot in common: A few Car Lighting Tips

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

SpiderMonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2017
Pearland, Texas
Jan 22, 2017 18:59 |  #5

I've always loved the '68 and '69 Chargers, they have a style all their own and nothing today comes close to their look.

I've been perusing through the whole site, I love it!
I did quite a bit of searching to see if I could find anything that covers what I'm wanting to do, I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet but, there is a lot of information here. I went ahead and started a new thread in the general discussion area I'm hoping that it will spark a little more interest being there rather than limiting my possibilities by having it in the transportation section.

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Jan 26, 2017 11:57 |  #6

I don't do it for money, but I have been taking trips to local airports and photographing planes on the ramp.

Be aware that people at airports tend to be wary of photographers (especially if you're carrying strobes) until you "prove" you're one of them (pilot, !&P, enthusiast, etc). Usually I find it's best to talk with someone in the FBO or Maintenance hangar to get their "approval" before you just walk around taking photos of aircraft. Obviously it's all about making the right contacts and talking with the right people.

I usually bring 1 strobe and I find my 24-105 and 16-35 to be a pretty good selection. The 16-35 is great for interiors. I also recently added a 70-200 which seems to be a pretty common choice for aviation photography.

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18249923 (external link)
Close... '69 Charger RT

Another thread, 'cause cars & aircraft have a lot in common: A few Car Lighting Tips

They do have a lot in common, but I've been finding that aircraft tend to be a lot less reflective. They also tend to have fewer curves, which making strobing them a bit easier than cars.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

sponsored links

3,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographing aircraft
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.