Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 22 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 09:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which eye?

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jan 22, 2017 09:05 |  #1

Reading through the 7d2 thread I came across a brief discussion on eye-dominance and keeping your off-camera eye open or closed. How do you shoot?

I'm an airgun shooter as well (rifle and pistol), and use my camera the same way I would use a scope on a rifle or the iron sights on my pistol - I'm right handed and right eye dominant, and leave my left eye open for wider tracking. Still refining my camera technique, so I often have to zoom my Sigma 150-600mm back out to get my bearings before zooming back in on small birds or other wildlife hiding within a busy background.

So do you shoot with right or left eye to the viewfinder, and do you keep your off-camera eye open?

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Luckless
Goldmember
3,040 posts
Joined Mar 2012
PEI, Canada
Jan 22, 2017 09:13 |  #2

Depends on what I'm doing. I'm right hand-right eye, and will switch between left eye open or closed as needed.

Tracking birds in flight, and aiming for relatively rough framing? Then I'll go with left eye open. Shooting something more stationary and caring more about frame edges? Then I'll close the left eye because it makes the view finder appear more clear and avoids visual distractions.

I consider myself rather lucky to have no issues keeping both eyes open when using super long focal lengths. I know a few people who really can't put up with trying to keep their left eye open with longer lenses due to how disorienting it is. Also know a few people who can't put up with trying it with any lens. Best experimented with while sitting if you haven't tried.

Of course, left eye open doesn't always work so well for things like waist level finders, but it can be handy to keep an eye on what's around you even if you're looking down into the camera. It is however rather trippy to do for the first while.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Lucklessexternal link

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,344 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 22, 2017 09:34 |  #3

I use my left eye at the viewfinder when shooting with cameras. What the right eye is doing is irrelevant. Right eye is worse than 20/200, mostly light and shadows.

When shooting handguns, I keep both eyes open. When what I am shooting at may potentially shoot back, light and shadows is a whole-heap better than nothing.

Tom

txphotographer
55 posts
Joined Dec 2016
Houston, TX USA
Jan 22, 2017 10:20 |  #4

I'm right handed but my left eye is dominant.
I use my left eye with my right eye open.

Rick

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Jan 22, 2017 11:11 |  #5

Left handed and right eye dominate.

When i shoot both eyes are open.

When I shoot motorsports both eyes open for situational awareness.

7DMKII/Sigma 10-20/Sigma 24-70 2.8/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Sigma 150-600
www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,052 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Jan 22, 2017 11:28 |  #6

There are lots of folks who aim with the LEFT eye, although most dSLRs and 135 film SLRs ever manufactured were designed with a shorter body to the left of the eyepiece than to the right of the eyepiece, a feature intended for RIGHT eye aiming. Similarly, when you turn the body CCW to change to Portrait orientation, the left eye remains clear so that it can see around the camera, rather than the right eye view being blocked by the body in Portrait orientation.
(And we should not forget that the Battery Grip presents buttons for us to use with CCW Portrait oritentation, while those buttons are not positioned well with CW Portrait orientation.)
Use of left eye is is not 'wrong' nor is CW Portrait, but it is using the camera which is suboptimal based upon the camera product characteristics. The original M16A2 was poorly designed for left eye aimers, too; you needed to be able to tolerate hot brass cartridges doing down your shirt.

As for eye open vs. closed, I learned in high school the value of left eye open, which shooting a football game on the sidelines for our high school newspaper. I was so engrossed in capturing an end run by a running back (with my eye closed) that I did not see (a good friend) offensive guard running at me and bowling me head over heels with my camera. While I was not injured, I learned what an open eye could do so save my e$$ from another experience like that!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
6,344 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 22, 2017 11:37 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #7

Wilt, I used the M16 left-eyed and right-handed for 9 years ('74-'83), and never had a problem with hot brass in my shirt, or any where else I didn't want it. Shooting left-handed was problem for those who did so. I am not sure which eye left-handed shooters used mattered. Which eye right-handed shooters used did not matter.

Tom

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Jan 22, 2017 12:15 |  #8

I'm right-handed, but left eye dominant. After reading your post, I wasn't certain if I close my right eye or not, had to shouldered my camera to determine. It's extremely easy to see through the viewfinder with my left eye when my right is open. I think most of the time my right is open eventhough there's not much to see except the back of the camera and a thumb. Just for SAGs, I put the camera to my right eye and was surprised how impossible it is to see through the viewfinder without closing my left eye. My left eye rules!
I shoot a shotgun right-handed, keep both eyes open until I'm ready to pull the trigger, then the left gets closed.

flickr (external link)

Wilt
39,052 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 22, 2017 13:47 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #9

Bassat,

I went thru basic training in 1971, and the right eye aiming and the hot brass ejection issue was true then. I know the M16 has had a number of mods over the years, and perhaps the ejector design changed by 1974 so that hot brass for a left eye shooter was not longer an issue. l know more current designs have a deflector integrated for the hot brass ejection issue. It is reported that a spent case deflector was incorporated into the upper receiver immediately behind the ejection port to prevent cases from striking left-handed users.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Jan 22, 2017 13:52 |  #10

For photography, I use my left eye and keep my right eye closed.

When shooting, I keep both eyes closed.:lol:

Bassat
6,344 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jan 22, 2017 14:05 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18252479 (external link)
Bassat,

I went thru basic training in 1971, and the right eye aiming and the hot brass ejection issue was true then. I know the M16 has had a number of mods over the years, and perhaps the ejector design changed by 1974 so that hot brass for a left eye shooter was not longer an issue. l know more current designs have a deflector integrated for the hot brass ejection issue. It is reported that a spent case deflector was incorporated into the upper receiver immediately behind the ejection port to prevent cases from striking left-handed users.

Interesting. I knew of the left-HANDED shooting issues. I never knew which EYE being used affected anything. Seems weird to me. If I could (if I could see) shoot with my right eye, I would not move my body to do so, only my face. How does that affect where the brass goes?

Tom

Wilt
39,052 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 22, 2017 14:09 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #12

Well, if you aim with left eye and pull trigger left handed, when your right hand is extended to support the barrel your body is turned more toward the left and facing the ejection port on the right side of the M16.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jan 25, 2017 10:46 |  #13

Right. Sometimes both open since I switched back to RF camera.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Nathan.
Jan 25, 2017 12:46 |  #14

This was discussed here, but the thread died out... lots of responses, though, so thought it'd be interesting to repost the link: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​113937. This had a poll, too, so I think I'll revive it.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,172 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Jan 25, 2017 19:24 |  #15

Nathan wrote in post #18255155 (external link)
This was discussed here, but the thread died out... lots of responses, though, so thought it'd be interesting to repost the link: http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​113937. This had a poll, too, so I think I'll revive it.

I had a look at the pole results in the old thread. What on earth are those 15% who responded that they look through the viewfinder with their weak eye doing. By definition, isn't your viewfinder eye your dominant eye? I think the pole should have asked about right/left handedness vs eye dominance.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,987 views & 3 likes for this thread
Which eye?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.