Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 23 Jan 2017 (Monday) 20:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's your footwear of choice around lakes/beach/ocean?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Jan 23, 2017 20:10 |  #1

I don't shoot near water TOO much given my home location but in NZ+OZ I'm about to spend a lot of time in just those places, sometimes day after day after day.

So I've done some research but would really love to hear from people who actually do it - what do you guys wear in these situations?

What I've come up with is:
- Barefoot - pretty darn easy, but water will be colddd. Could also potentially hurt feet or slip on rocks
- Sandals - I'm not really a sandals-wearing person (though flip flops I do) - they'd at least provide grip around rocks but get covered in sand
- Watershoes - these could work I suppose, an improvement over sandals? But sand might get in and get very uncomfortable real quick?
- Neoprene socks - I guess like a wetsuit - I don't think sand will get in? Should help with water/temperature but I'm thinking I'd still need to wear something over them for comfort/grip?

Now I'm not swimming out into the ocean, but those typical locations walking along the beach (lots of dry sand) and to the water's edge (waves, wet sand) and then around rocky outcroppings (potentially slippery rocks, waves)

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
archfotos
87 posts
Joined May 2016
Jan 23, 2017 21:31 |  #2

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18253726 (external link)
... but water will be colddd. Could also potentially hurt feet or slip on rocks

- Watershoes - these could work I suppose, an improvement over sandals? But sand might get in and get very uncomfortable real quick?

You're right about the neoprene socks needing sandals to go over them. They are also a pain to put on, would not even consider them. I like watershoes and if sand is involved I'd rather take them off and go barefoot.

What do you mean by cold water, unpleasant or cold enough to require protection. If you need a step up from the watershoes for protection/cold you could look at kayaker's booties. They have a range of models however none of them will pass as dinner wear

DC Photographer (external link)

zurura
139 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Bombay, India
Feb 14, 2017 08:11 as a reply to archfotos's post |  #3

I have something like this for such places. Not the same brand, a local one but nice and sturdy.

https://www.amazon.com ...fRID=4883G0GMYEZE3Q​18TF5E (external link)

Part shoes, part sandals. But quite comfortable. Any covered sand is washed with the sea water itself. The amount of sand accumulated is not much though.

Having said that, the climate around seas, that I visit, is warm and stepping in sea water is highly sough after. If cold water is your concern, may be you need something more. Hope this helps.

Gautam
Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Feb 14, 2017 13:40 |  #4

Probably barefoot, unless there are critters that might find me tasty.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
Perth, 'straya
Feb 20, 2017 08:24 |  #5

I don't shoot near water TOO much given my home location but in NZ+OZ I'm about to spend a lot of time in just those places, sometimes day after day after day.

So I've done some research but would really love to hear from people who actually do it - what do you guys wear in these situations?

What I've come up with is:
- Barefoot - pretty darn easy, but water will be colddd. Could also potentially hurt feet or slip on rocks
- Sandals - I'm not really a sandals-wearing person (though flip flops I do) - they'd at least provide grip around rocks but get covered in sand
- Neoprene socks - I guess like a wetsuit - I don't think sand will get in? Should help with water/temperature but I'm thinking I'd still need to wear something over them for comfort/grip?

Now I'm not swimming out into the ocean, but those typical locations walking along the beach (lots of dry sand) and to the water's edge (waves, wet sand) and then around rocky outcroppings (potentially slippery rocks, waves)

Any situation where you will be in the ocean above ankle deep water:

Forget flip flops: they are not safe. They come off easily and if stuck in sand will pull the plug leaving litter in the ocean and you with one less ... more landfill. Flop flops and sandals don't protect anything above your underfoot. Imagine an unknown terror tearing at your tootsies ... are you going to pull back, lose your footing to keep yourself safe and likely lose your gear or keep your gear and lose a toe? Your instinctive brain is going to be processing self preservation.

The best solution is zip up diving shoes or booties, they have a sole, will keep your tootsies warm protect your feet well and will last a decade if you wash them after use.

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

Lyle ­ Krannichfeld
Joined Nov 2009
Kihei, HI
Mar 09, 2017 01:18 |  #6

I live in Hawaii, sandals all the time. All the time. Reefs or Rainbows.

Fine Art Landscape/Wildlife Photographer on Maui: INSTAGRAM (external link) FACEBOOK (external link)
Canon 5DS R, 8-15 f/4L, 16-35 f/4L IS, 24-70 f/2.8 IIL, Rokinon 14mm, Aquatica housing for 5d3/5dS R with 9.25" Megadome, 2x YS-D1, 2x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, Gitzo GT2541, RRS BH-40, 2x PW+3's with Waterwizard housings, Lee, ThinkTank, Lexar, Pelican, F Stop.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
Mar 09, 2017 11:09 |  #7

zurura wrote in post #18273185 (external link)
I have something like this for such places. Not the same brand, a local one but nice and sturdy.

Part shoes, part sandals. But quite comfortable. Any covered sand is washed with the sea water itself. The amount of sand accumulated is not much though.

Having said that, the climate around seas, that I visit, is warm and stepping in sea water is highly sough after. If cold water is your concern, may be you need something more. Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I wear. It gives you support, are slip resistant and dry off easily in the sun. Bare foot is really bad as you will either stub your toes or cut yourself on coral or sharp rocks. Flip flops are ok, but they don't provide the support and can slip out from under you when scrambling over rocks.

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Texas, USA
Mar 10, 2017 16:35 |  #8

+1 on the Keen sandals. I wear them all the time and they are safe and comfortable.

hobinsohn
Joined Mar 2016
San Francisco, CA
Mar 10, 2017 16:57 |  #9

i think depends on location and/or water temp.

I prefer barefoot on a sandy beach, but in lakes and such with lots of rocks I go with sandals like suggested above.

In a freezing water though, I've found NRS socks very useful:
https://www.amazon.com ...Cuff-Black/dp/B003V96W68/ (external link)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Azathoth.
Mar 27, 2017 09:04 |  #10

Barefoot if it's a sandy beach. But that's here, where the water is not too cold in the winter.

If there are too many rocks, i usually wear my hiking shoes and in that case i avoid the water.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,552 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Mar 27, 2017 11:00 |  #11

zurura wrote in post #18273185 (external link)

Yep.

If I'm headed for a beach shoot, I'd leave home wearing footwear that will carry me all the way from portal to portal without further thought, not just for the beach itself.

johnsonjpj
34 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Mar 27, 2017 13:07 |  #12

Chacos sandles or Keen sandles if I need a closed toe where it may be rocky.

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 18, 2017 09:34 |  #13

I think I'll look for those keen or similar. I found some clearance priced north face sandals that I jumped on, but unfortunately I didn't realize at the time they don't have any back strap... oops!

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
May 19, 2017 23:40 |  #14

- Barefoot - pretty darn easy, but water will be colddd.

If the water will be too cold for bare feet then it will be too cold for sandals!

I use NRS wet shoes for kayaking and they seem like they are exactly what you're looking for.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007
DFW, Texas
Jun 25, 2017 13:09 |  #15

Salomon watershoes. If there's a problem with sand or silt, I wear a pair of Injinji toesocks. REI carries them, but you can find them on Amazon as well.

https://www.amazon.com ...w-Toe-Socks/dp/B002WN2L6Y (external link)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

2,537 views & 5 likes for this thread
What's your footwear of choice around lakes/beach/ocean?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.