Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras
Thread started 24 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 06:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any views on the M10

britinjapan
Joined Oct 2011
Tokyo
Jan 24, 2017 06:57 |  #1

Size is a considerable plus, and may finally take the dive...

Canon 6D, 35mm F2 IS, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 135mm F2L, 24-70 F4L, Tokyo, Japan

sponsored links
sjones
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Jan 25, 2017 14:44 |  #2

britinjapan wrote in post #18254051 (external link)
Size is a considerable plus, and may finally take the dive...

Some of this has been discussed in the Leica Anonymous thread, but not to leave you hanging, I would consider it if I used digital. I have a Leica M2, and for me (which might differ for everyone else on the planet), the tactility and ergonomics are superb.

As such, I would welcome the M10’s shift towards a thinner body.

I cannot comment on quality, but then again, I’m the type who contends that you can still get excellent quality from a Canon 20D, at least at lower ISO numbers.

That is, I’ve seen excellent shots, even low light ones, from most every Leica digital M since its introduction, and I would suspect that its latest iteration certainly handles low light better than the 20D.

On a purely philosophical level, when video first appeared on DSLRs, my concern was that perfectly fine still cameras would soon be judged harshly on something that, to very subjective me, was frivolous, and I appreciate Leica’s decision to boot video as an option on the M10. I also understand why this might irk the hell out of others, though.

All of this said, it’s expensive, but the longevity of digital cameras are expanding, and I’m sure someone out there with a first generation Canon 5D is still happily taking photos with it.

If the body width is not an issue, I would look at the 262 or even ME. Then again, if money was no object, I’d also check out the Monochrome, since I only shoot B&W, or even the M-D.

Also, I don’t want to seem presumptuous, as you might have years of experience with rangefinders, but if not, it involves a considerable shift…one that I loved, but one that to which others have struggled to acclimate.

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Chicago
Jan 29, 2017 18:49 |  #3

An interview regarding the M10:

http://leicarumors.com ...-dng-files-and-more.aspx/ (external link)

Asheville to Chicago 2016-2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

NWPhil
Joined Apr 2010
Oregon
Feb 02, 2017 11:53 |  #4

I read in from other reviewers/forums, that the m240 B&W shots are very close to and sometimes better than the output from the monochrom ( just opinions ofcoourse), but I find the output better than my canon dslr.

Another idea, as it seems that you want to move into digital, is to consider the m8 - yes, it's not a full frame, but the B&W tonality is different from current Leica, and actually with the proper filter, has double-duty as an b&w IR camera (purists will disagree on this one)

From all that I read so far, the m10 is a better camera than previous model - but it's just a tool. For some makes sense, for other not so much to upgrade

I have the m240 and m8 and will rather upgrade my glass, but that's just me

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been edited 9 months ago by airfrogusmc.
Feb 06, 2017 19:19 |  #5

Phil actually have the original MM and its output in low light is better the the M 240. I have an M 262 and I can tell you first hand the original MM is better in low light and the B&W files are better and the 262 has an updated sensor with supposedly less banding than the 240. I can only imagine how good the new MM is compared to the 240.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Feb 07, 2017 14:39 |  #6

Some likes M8 BW, some needs MM for it, others are OK with M240 BW. I'm very happy with M-E bw. I think, with any Leica it is good. At least to me in comparison to Canon 5D earlier series BW I have before, where it was too plastic to my eye.
I printed bw from M8 and from M-E with pigment inks and I could see the difference, but both gives nice bw.

Where is so much fuzz about size and weight of M10. But they just made it back to normal :)
M9 is 585g. 139 x 80 x 37 mm. M10 is 660 g. 139 x 80 x 39 mm. If size is considerable plus...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Echo63
Goldmember
2,855 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Echo63.
Feb 14, 2017 09:54 |  #7

I have the M240 and work in a Leica Boutique (not actually my dept, but i do get to play with the Leicas quite a bit)

From my point of view.

1. Its Thinner - it feels too thin to me, but my first M was the M240, if it had been a film body my opinion may be different.

2. Bigger viewfinder - the actual hole in the back is bigger, and you can see much better - kinda like going from an APS-C SLR to full frame (maybe not quite that big of a jump, but it is noticable)
It also appears to be a little bit easier to focus, but I would need to test side by side with my M240

3. ISO - much cleaner - took a few pics with the M10 in a dark bar the other night - I would say it is as clean, or cleaner than the 1DX i used to have.

4. Wifi - I havent used it yet. In my previous job, this would have been amazing. Now, it doesnt matter for me, although i do like that the M has caught up.

5. ISO dial - I like being able to see at a glance all three settings - even with the camera switched off.
The M240 isnt hard to change ISO on though.

Do i want one - Yes
Will i get one - Maybe the P version - with the change in jobs, I am not using my M240 enough to really justify the upgrade - the SL is also calling to me....

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

dseelig
Joined Apr 2008
Aug 03, 2017 08:43 |  #8

I have had the M8 M9 M and now the M10. I never liked the M 240 it was too bulky and never felt good a little to heavy.I somehow had two M9s which I loved even though the high iso was non existent. the M I never felt like getting a secind I would love tow M10s but alas money and I are not getting along these days.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Aug 04, 2017 06:42 |  #9

I received mine a few weeks ago and I can't say enough good things about it. Great in low light, very responsive. The finest digital camera I have shot with and I have shot with a lot of digital cameras.

sponsored links

1,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any views on the M10
FORUMS Leica Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Leica Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.