Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 25 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 21:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Minolta AF 400/4.5 HS-APO G, reviewed by WestCoastCannuck

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND WestCoastCannuck (showing now: WestCoastCannuck)
Overall Rating9.5
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money10
Bokeh8
Sharpness10
Contrast9
Focusing8
Must Have10
Suitability to Intended Use9
Got What I Expected10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Minolta AF 400/4.5 HS-APO G

WestCoastCannuck
125 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Victoria, Canada
Jan 25, 2017 21:14 |  #1

To sum up, for MY copy of this lens.... FANTASTIC. MUST HAVE. Sure I might rather have the Sony or even Sigma 500/4, but the Sony is unaffordable and the Sigma is not available in A-mount. The old Minolta is new enough to have pretty good coatings and no issues with CA in most circumstance. Good contrast. Not super speedy focusing, but pretty good - seemingly faster than my 70-400. I say "might rather have...." because the 400/4.5 is pretty darn hand-holdable - I most often carry mine on a rapid strap, with and without a 1.4 TC and find it no trouble to shoot with hand held. Don't think that would be the case with the much bigger and heavier 500/4 lenses. My copy is unbelievably sharp and with the matched APOii 1.4TC I find little to no loss in IQ wide open. Bokeh quite nice much of the time.

Having said all that..... there seems to be a lot of sample variation for this lens. For whatever reason, some people say their lens is not very sharp. For this reason, I suggest anyone buying this lens to either try before you buy, or buy from a vendor that accepts returns. It should be SHARP.

flickr (external link)
A99ii|Tam20-40|M24-50|M28-135|M35-105|M80-200G|SAL70400G||ROK14m​m|SAL20|Σ50 1.4|M50 2.8|ZA85|ZA135|AF300 F2.8 APO HS G|AF400 G

mickeyb105
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Vero Beach, FL
Jan 26, 2017 08:58 |  #2

I will snag a copy of this lens someday, thanks for posting this review.

Is there any chance you could post some sample pics? The colors are too fantastic to not share.

Sony A77ii, RX-100ii, A6000, A7r, PZ 16-50, Sonnar T* 135mm f/1.8 ZA, Sony LA-EA3, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Zeiss 24/2 ZA, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M, HVL-F20M, Canon Pixma Pro-100
Flickr (external link)

743 views & 2 likes for this thread
Minolta AF 400/4.5 HS-APO G, reviewed by WestCoastCannuck
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.