Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 28 Jan 2017 (Saturday) 23:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LOGO Idea;

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by frozenframe.
Jan 28, 2017 23:28 |  #1

Still working on getting my business together. I've yet to get my website up. Why? Well as a hobby, I would just use the typical Flicker, FB to share them. However I've been working on my website, wordpress, and probably will go with one of the Themegood themes.

1. Is it necessary to have a logo displayed on your website? I have been working on one. I think it would work ok. I don't really have a brand locked down. My business would be Portraits, Pets, and Headshots. I'm not interested in weddings, too old for that now. Here's a sample logo, that would be used on documents, web (?), and shirts.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I have a 3rd color, white background with gold lettering, but it doesn't show up well on here. I know the logo itself doesn't say much about the business, but I see plenty that are just the photographer's name with maybe a flourish.

So what do you think? Workable or totally ridiculous?

I think I'm finally going to start making some traction on my getting my business open. I've quit driving a truck, and now working a warehouse job, that gives me 3 consecutive days off a week.

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Jan 29, 2017 10:30 |  #2

Whether you should or should not have and/or display a logo is subjective and its effectiveness in promoting your business is easily up to debate.

But, I'd lose the whole exposure triangle concept. It will be completely lost on nonphotographers. In fact, without the use of the word photography it kind of looks like youre involved in chemicals. Lose it.

seanlockephotography
67 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Jan 29, 2017 11:33 |  #3

Sorry, that is just really bad. From the base idea of the triangle to choice of fonts, layout and design. Hire a graphic designer.

scriveyn
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Jan 29, 2017 11:43 |  #4

Agree with the above posts. Besides it reminds me, and probably others, of freemasonry.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

frozenframe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Jan 29, 2017 18:50 |  #5

Thank you all for your input. Idea has been scrapped.

Hire a graphic designer.

Ok, and bill it to you.. ;)

Ron
My Gear List

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been last edited 9 months ago by Alveric. 2 edits done in total.
Jan 29, 2017 19:29 |  #6

A graphic designer needs not be expensive. I once hired one to design me an ad and a tradeshow display. She charged me ~$70 for each (1 hour of designer's time for each). I might not have 'saved' money, but I saved time and both pieces looked way better than anything I would have crafted in Illustrator myself. She also cleaned up my logo.

Turning it around a bit, how can a photographer expect people to hire HIM to do photographic work for them, when he's so unwilling to generate work for others? Such photographer has no right to get upset when potential clients decide to 'do it in house'.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 29, 2017 20:28 |  #7

There is a difference between a logo and a logotype. One is a visual icon or image to represent an idea or philosophy about the company using it and the other is a distinctive use of type, or font, to express the owner's personality. In either case, consistent use of a logo or logotype is for the purpose of recognition.

Most photographers do not really need a logo and often rely on a logotype to convey their personality based on the style used in their logotype. I.e. whimsical, traditional, offbeat, artistic, rough, etc. The reason for not needing a logo is because we are not building brand recognition around a variety of products. We are building brand recognition around our person and the service we offer. So in this case, name recognition is important, not some obscure triangular reference to a photography concept most people would never understand.

There are tons of free fonts online. Take some time to browse through them and find one that seems to reflect your personality. Download and install it on your system and use that every time you want to brand anything, website included.

Hope this helps.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,108 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Jan 29, 2017 21:18 |  #8

Agree with Alveric. I don't get it. As a professional, you try to convince others the importance of hiring you to use your expertise to deliver a superior result, a high quality product that will last for years and years, but yet you fail to see the importance of hiring a professional.

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Jan 30, 2017 00:40 |  #9

Hold up guys. Ron came on here for advice, not to get slammed. Please be conscious to that fact.

Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

frozenframe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Jan 30, 2017 00:56 |  #10

texkam wrote in post #18259185 (external link)
Agree with Alveric. I don't get it. As a professional, you try to convince others the importance of hiring you to use your expertise to deliver a superior result, a high quality product that will last for years and years, but yet you fail to see the importance of hiring a professional.

I love comments like this, where someone assumes they KNOW everything about someone else. You couldn't be further from truth or accurate. No I don't FAIL to see anything. I just don't have a huge surplus of cash laying around, like you must. Hell, I'd like to hire people for more than just this, and I do know it could be done far better. So I will graciously thank you for your comment, and well I'll just leave it there........

@Duck,
Thank you for your kind suggestions and comments and explanation on the differences.

Ron
My Gear List

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Jan 30, 2017 01:21 |  #11

Do you know a designer... one that might trade you some work for some photography?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 9 months ago by -Duck-.
Jan 30, 2017 02:09 |  #12

frozenframe wrote in post #18259318 (external link)
...@Duck,
Thank you for your kind suggestions and comments and explanation on the differences.

No problem. Here are some logos I've designed...

My own on my website...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Admin/Site-Assets/i-HQN4kD6/0/O/UnitasPhoto_logo_sm.png

For my studio space...
IMAGE: https://i0.wp.com/www.connectedrealities.space/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Connected-Realities-logo-1.png

Another photography forum...
IMAGE: http://www.photomentoris.com/images/banners/badge_130x130.png

A logo I did for a fellow photog...
In this case he knew what he wanted but did not have the skills to create it. I did the banner, avatar and a few business card layouts.
Shooting Long Photography (external link)

I've done hundreds more but these are the easiest to view right now (and probably the most relevant). If I can be of any help just PM me.

P.S. My 'Duck' avatar is also my work.

frozenframe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
Jan 30, 2017 09:29 |  #13

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18259329 (external link)
Do you know a designer... one that might trade you some work for some photography?

No, not around here. Small county, however there is one avenue I haven't tried yet. There's a nuclear power plant in our county. Anything done is in-house, including media/press information, and design. I'm going to see what I might be able to flush out of there.

Thanks Ted.

Ron
My Gear List

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Space Coast, Florida
Feb 05, 2017 08:39 |  #14

-Duck- wrote in post #18259309 (external link)
Hold up guys. Ron came on here for advice, not to get slammed. Please be conscious to that fact.

Best contribution in the thread. This should be applied to so many threads around this site (and others). Duck needs to be an administrator . . .

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Feb 05, 2017 11:32 |  #15

golfecho wrote in post #18265203 (external link)
Best contribution in the thread. This should be applied to so many threads around this site (and others). Duck needs to be an administrator . . .

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I've been a mod on another site and am an admin on a second. I don't want another job, just a place I can hang out and be 'one of the guys'.

sponsored links

5,527 views & 15 likes for this thread
LOGO Idea;
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.