Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 29 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 18:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fake Brick Wall

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 29, 2017 18:37 |  #1

I have wanted a brick wall in my studio for the longest time, however a real one was never gonna happen. I was grabbing some new white tile board for my floor and found some 4x8 brick panels, the results are below. First shoot using it is tomorrow.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 29, 2017 18:37 |  #2

and last image, the wife is going to pick up some paint that matches to fill in the screw heads.

HOSTED PHOTO

tdlavigne
292 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jan 29, 2017 19:06 |  #3

Very nice! When I saw the title I was gonna stop by to chime in that my studio mate had done the same thing. Worked for her so I'm sure you'll be pleased. A little post-work will go a long way to emphasizing the texture of the bricks too.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 29, 2017 21:53 |  #4

Yea and those are cell phone images, so the right lighting and some post should work wonders. Then I can always add some white or black to some bricks to give it a weathered look as well.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 29, 2017 23:11 |  #5

Nice work. So what's the total cost to put this together?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jan 29, 2017 23:15 |  #6

The brick panels are $25 each, the 1x3 framing was less then $10 total. I made mine with a hinge which was about $12. I put a thin plywood on the back which will be a second backdrop but it will only be used as an 8' wide drop, where the brick can go from flat to 90 degrees so I can use it as a corner or a wall. So all in all about $75 and 2 hours of time to build it. If you had a solid wall you could put the panels right on the wall, I just did not have enough width in my studio to shoot across it.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Jan 29, 2017 23:18 |  #7

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18259261 (external link)
The brick panels are $25 each, the 1x3 framing was less then $10 total. I made mine with a hinge which was about $12. I put a thin plywood on the back which will be a second backdrop but it will only be used as an 8' wide drop, where the brick can go from flat to 90 degrees so I can use it as a corner or a wall. So all in all about $75 and 2 hours of time to build it. If you had a solid wall you could put the panels right on the wall, I just did not have enough width in my studio to shoot across it.

Thanks. I look forward to seeing some results using this backdrop.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Garry75
Joined Aug 2016
Neilston, Glasgow, UK
May 23, 2017 07:02 |  #8

This is a great idea, and could be reasonably portable too. Have you posted any shots using this in your studio?

Thanks for sharing your creativity,

Garry

"The incredible pleasure of photography is that you have to be there to do it"
David Hurn

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,164 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Jun 06, 2017 22:14 as a reply to Garry75's post |  #9

If you check out my Gallery I just added a photo in the G&N section that used the wall.

sponsored links

1,894 views & 4 likes for this thread
Fake Brick Wall
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.