Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 31 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 06:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Reading Lenses for Dive Mask

gug
Joined Oct 2011
Jan 31, 2017 06:47 |  #1

Has anyone used the above? It would be nice to have a pair of 1.75's installed for macro photography. What brands or experience you have had with them? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Dennis

sponsored links
cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Jan 31, 2017 22:16 |  #2

I tried them but no luck keeping them stuck to the mask. Even tried CA (superglue) & it still fell off. Gave up.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

gug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2011
Feb 01, 2017 05:08 as a reply to cicopo's post |  #3

Thanks for the feedback. Defogging stuff likely does not help.

MikeThompson
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009
On the road somewhere between the Atlantic and Pacific
Feb 03, 2017 12:15 |  #4

I had lenses put in my mask by an optical shop. They were placed in the lower section of the mask like reading glasses or bifocals and were still in when the mask finally had to be replaced. Seems like the shop was in Florida, but that was sometime around 2000 or 2001 so I can't be sure. Check with your local dive shop and see if they know of any place that can install them.

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

gug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2011
Feb 04, 2017 06:43 as a reply to MikeThompson's post |  #5

Thanks, appreciate the reply.

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Feb 09, 2017 05:48 |  #6

I had these custom ground lenses installed (external link), also with color correcting filtration. nothing to delaminate or fall off.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,415 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Feb 09, 2017 13:58 |  #7

I had corrective lenses put in the bottom of my mask. If you find an optometrist that dives, they can have a lens ground and glued in with the curvature to match your eye position.
Now I use a mask with the whole lens having correction (but less than my full prescription) since everything I'm looking at is relatively close anyway. I have the other mask as a backup and would probably use it if I was diving with whales or something in 200ft viz but the number of times I'll get to do that can be counted on one finger.

If you're using a camera with your corrected mask, don't forget to change the diopter adjustment to match your mask.

Steve.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

gug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2011
Feb 10, 2017 05:05 |  #8

SteveInNZ wrote in post #18268902 (external link)
I had corrective lenses put in the bottom of my mask. If you find an optometrist that dives, they can have a lens ground and glued in with the curvature to match your eye position.
Now I use a mask with the whole lens having correction (but less than my full prescription) since everything I'm looking at is relatively close anyway. I have the other mask as a backup and would probably use it if I was diving with whales or something in 200ft viz but the number of times I'll get to do that can be counted on one finger.

If you're using a camera with your corrected mask, don't forget to change the diopter adjustment to match your mask.

Steve.

Thank You!

WildImages
Joined Jul 2009
Post has been edited 8 months ago by WildImages.
Feb 10, 2017 14:01 |  #9

The information in this thread is a keeper. I sure learned something I didn't think was possible!

sponsored links

1,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reading Lenses for Dive Mask
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.