Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 01 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 16:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ International Convention Centre Sydney, January ’17

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Feb 07, 2017 18:50 |  #16

narlus wrote in post #18266878 (external link)
the money to get a band out on the road means that the band members, their lawyer/manager, booking agent, guitar tech, sound guy and merch person are the absolute necessities. hiring a tour photographer isn't at that same level. which is why bands and their managers/publicists love to crowd-source stuff for instagram/facebook/etc​. it's free, why wouldn't they!

This is the exact reason why (as creatives) we need to find other ways to fund ourselves while touring. I've been hard at it since day 1 with Tracer (which ironically at that time there was more money from the band sent my way!) and it's working.

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links
BushWacker
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Feb 07, 2017 22:00 |  #17

I think I speak for most of us in saying we are in full support of what you are doing, in many ways envious or at least highly respectful but I'm not sure it's the only answer just another one.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Feb 07, 2017 22:22 as a reply to BushWacker's post |  #18

And yeah, I agree - there's at least two other photographers I know doing a similar thing (with their own twist to it mind you) and succeeding.

www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Post has been edited 6 months ago by narlus.
Jun 12, 2017 12:28 |  #19

so i went to the Nick Cave show Saturday night. i'd gotten an invitation to cover the show from his publicist, but given what i knew were the restrictions, i passed. i'd already sprung a lot of $ for very good seats (2nd row behind the orchestra pit area, which has 6 rows) so i went as a fan.

given what i'd seen of his 2014 show when i had 3rd row seats and had Nick literally clamber on top of the seat backs to bellow "Deanna" right into our astonished faces (skip to about 1:20 or so of this video that my friend shot; i was standing to the left of him https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=yLSe24w7fVA) (external link), i decided to rent the best, smallest camera that i could realistically get into the theater. i chose the Sony RX1R, which was limited to a fixed 35mm lens, but with 42mp resolution, i figured i could crop in pretty tight and still have decent quality. a friend of mine got a Sony RX10 into the show at Kings Theatre in NYC, and that was the same one i brought into the Sabbath show last summer. i would have preferred that, as it has a great zoom range (24-250, f/2.8-4) but it's almost as large as a DSLR and figured that would be a non-starter.

as it turned out, i got stopped by security w/ the relatively small RX1R, but he cheekily suggested that i give it to my friend Ben, who was behind me in line and covering the show as press. "What you do with the camera once it's in the building is none of my business" he said. So, given all that, I should have formulated a plan to use Ben as a mule for the RX10, which would have given me a lot more flexibility in shooting.

as expected, after the opening "Holocene" and "Jesus Alone," both subdued songs from his last, excruciatingly sad record, the floodgates opened and he was down off stage and into the crowd. i was on the left side and the only way down was via a couple of step down boxes on the right, so he never came directly over to my section.

to say the show was heartstoppingly good would be to undersell it.

here are a couple of shots i got (Benon, if you don't want me posting in your thread that's fine and i'll take 'em down... i figured this post wasn't strong enough to stand on its own and in certain ways ties in a lot better to the conversation of this one).

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s4/v11/p2367903334-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s11/v32/p2367903343-5.jpg

3 end of the show w/ tons of people welcomed on the stage by Nick
IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s5/v123/p2367903333-5.jpg

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

limping_decorum
92 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been edited 6 months ago by limping_decorum.
Jun 13, 2017 13:07 |  #20

i hope he comes back again....and i want to hear "oh my lord" in person....

great pics....i think the asheville show clocked in at over 2hr 20min...

not drowning...just waving.

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Jun 15, 2017 07:01 |  #21

Great tale Tim! I have the RX10 (mark II) and was using it exclusively for my vlog, never thought to shoot a still with it, but now that the audio jack is broken I might have a use for it!

No probs posting your shots here, my only gripe is that they are not loading now? Have the links changed? Re-up? I wanna see!! :)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Jun 15, 2017 23:26 as a reply to BJWOK's post |  #22

yeah sorry, i'd uploaded some smaller res photos w/ watermarks and then went through my photos in detail and selected/edited/upload​ed the set, deleting the lower res ones.

here are the ones i posted and a couple more:

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s6/v143/p2370504733-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s1/v22/p2370501682-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s11/v32/p2370500429-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s12/v171/p2370500765-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s5/v123/p2370501016-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/img/s1/v22/p2370500984-5.jpg

gear list

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,409 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Jun 16, 2017 01:08 |  #23

Very nice!!

How punchy are the colours too. I gotta say he does put a hell of a lot of effort into his appearance. Good to see :)

limping_decorum
92 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Jun 16, 2017 10:33 |  #24

BJWOK wrote in post #18379608 (external link)
Very nice!!

How punchy are the colours too. I gotta say he does put a hell of a lot of effort into his appearance. Good to see :)

i could never pull of a suit that well.

and those of you contemplating seeing him.....don't buy the VIP seats....just get a floor seat and bum rush the front rows as nick encourages it...

not drowning...just waving.

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,656 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Andover, MA
Jun 19, 2017 08:38 as a reply to limping_decorum's post |  #25

although the orchestra pit was policed and security only let people into/through there on the final song, when people massed on stage.

gear list

sponsored links

2,792 views & 5 likes for this thread
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ International Convention Centre Sydney, January ’17
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.