Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 04 Feb 2017 (Saturday) 09:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A good primer article on shooting fast moving wildlife

Didereaux
Joined Jun 2014
Upper Texas coast
Post has been edited 9 months ago by Didereaux.
Feb 04, 2017 09:31 |  #1

Although written in 2011 this article is valid still....maybe even more so with the better tech. I already use several of the tips, and I know at least one top bird shooter who also uses most of these. Remember though technique and practice trumps gear.

Tips for shooting fast wildlife (external link)

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com ...ringandmontephotos/​albums (external link)

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Feb 04, 2017 09:44 |  #2

Great tips, thanks for sharing. You couldn't be more right about practice. Even if I don't shoot action for just a month or so my keeper rate drops.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 14, 2017 16:45 |  #3

Point No.6 is interesting.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Didereaux
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
Upper Texas coast
Feb 14, 2017 17:54 |  #4

johnf3f wrote in post #18273686 (external link)
Point No.6 is interesting.

That has been known for some time, but the lens makers marketing teams try hard to steer around that limitation... it took them years to acknowledge that IS needed to be turned off when using a tripod. Marketing is not our friend. Having said that IS is still quite valuable and should routinely be on unless the subject being sought is known to have flight characteristics that are counter to IS .

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com ...ringandmontephotos/​albums (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Feb 14, 2017 21:26 as a reply to Didereaux's post |  #5

Sorry IS is a bit of a little bit of a hobby horse of mine. I really don't like it! So it was nice to see an article that confirmed some of my views.

Some find it useful - personally I do not see why. Certainly on a little point and shoot, where you have to hold the camera at arms length, then IS is great. But hand holding the longest lenses that Canon currently make? For me it just gets in the way.

I should say that some lenses balance terribly so IS can be handy, for example it is quite useful on my 100-400 Mk2 at 1/500 sec or less. On the other hand my 800 F5.6 L IS is fine at half the shutter speed and IS shows little benefit at 1/160. Note I have arms like matchsticks so this is not a strength thing.

Given the choice I would have IS removed from my lenses (except the 100-400 Mk2) and enjoy the improved performance.:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

1,213 views & 4 likes for this thread
A good primer article on shooting fast moving wildlife
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.