Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Olympus Digital Cameras
Thread started 14 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 15:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Move to The Olympus

RussellJ
Joined Jul 2013
San Diego, Ca
Feb 14, 2017 15:43 |  #1

Got to spend a few more days shooting with the OMD EM1 Mark II, and put together a blog post talking about the shoots. Lots of images and as always please let me know if any questions. The move from Canon to Olympus is a fun one so far.

http://darktidephoto.c​om/blog//weekend-em1ii (external link)

Outdoor Adventure Photographer
Darktide Photo - darktidephoto.com

sponsored links
By-tor
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Emerald Isle, NC.
Feb 26, 2017 18:28 |  #2

I just made my second move away from Canon. First time was a 5D, 7D and L glass to a E-M10, then jumped back to a 5D last year and made the jump last week back to Olympus with a E-M5 mkII & 12-50mm and couldn't be happier..

My back thanks me for the move to lighter gear..

Olympus PEN-F, E-M5 mkII, E-PL5, 14-150mm, 40-150mm, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, Panasonic 14mm 2.5 & 25mm 1.7
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
San Diego, Ca
Feb 26, 2017 22:18 |  #3

ya the weight is such a big thing. I really hope more people see the power these little cameras have.

By-tor
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Emerald Isle, NC.
Post has been edited 8 months ago by By-tor.
Feb 27, 2017 18:24 |  #4

I'm super happy with the move to a E-M5 mkII and trying to shoot with it as much as possible. I only have the 12-50mm kit lens now, but it is producing some amazing pictures. Looking at picking up a couple of primes. The Oly 17mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8...

Olympus PEN-F, E-M5 mkII, E-PL5, 14-150mm, 40-150mm, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8, Panasonic 14mm 2.5 & 25mm 1.7
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

Eastcoast
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada
Mar 05, 2017 09:48 |  #5

Ok, had drafted up a question regarding moving from a 5D MkIII and a 500mm f4.0 IS prime, then read your post.

Thanks so much, you have covered most of my questions and the pictures posted are great.

Now just have to sell the 500mm and get started.

I'm planning on keeping the 5D and my 7D for the moment but they might be on the block as I get more acquainted with this system.

Looking forward to getting a new system in the next few months.

John
Be careful out there!

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Post has been edited 8 months ago by Perfectly Frank.
Mar 05, 2017 10:59 |  #6

Wow, your photos are great, lots of detail and image sharpness.

I'd like to try the Oly EM1 MK2 for aviation photography (aircraft in flight).
Two lenses come to mind...the Oly 300 f4.0 Pro and the Panny 100-400 f4.0-6.3

If anyone has used this combo for sports or BIF, I'd like to know your opinion on how it performs.
Especially concerning AF speed and accuracy, and IQ.

Btw, as a point of reference my current gear for air shows is the Canon 1DMKIV, Canon 300 f2.8 IS II and 1.4xIII.
I wonder if the Oly/Panny gear can match what I have now.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

By-tor
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Emerald Isle, NC.
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by By-tor. 2 edits done in total.
Mar 06, 2017 18:55 |  #7

My 12-40mm 2.8 came in and really love this lens.. This combo it lighter than the 5D body I just sold.....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

RussellJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2013
San Diego, Ca
Mar 06, 2017 20:04 as a reply to By-tor's post |  #8

Ya, I have that lens as well, its great for sure.

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Apr 03, 2017 06:17 |  #9

I'm really impressed with the OMD EM1 Mark II, I've only had it about two weeks but haven't picked up my 5D3 since. I love the 12-100 and am undecided whether to keep the 12-40 or not. Today the 17mm 1.8 and 60mm macro lenses arrived so I'll be having a play with those over the next week or so. I certainly think micro four thirds has come a long way in a short amount of time and it is certainly "good enough" for most situations, although I'm sure some of the sensor-snobs would find a reason to disagree. This camera may well kill my Canon kit altogether, leaving me with this and the Pentax 645Z. The test will be AF tracking which I haven't got around to yet.

I "left" Olympus in 2014 having previously had the E-3 and E-5 and I was not impressed with mirrorless cameras at the time having always used OVF's. Whether I was right or wrong at the time to have that opinion I have no idea, but the EVF on the EM1.2 is very good.

Initially I had read about the EM1.2 on the internet and in the article at the top of this thread, but the final straw was when I got to have a go with one at the Photography Show. Olympus were very helpful and I was really impressed with the image stabilisation. It still doesn't seem normal being able to use a 6-stop ND filter handheld! Also the little bundled flash (that initially looked useless) is really good for what it is.

I did use the Canon M5 for a short while (currently for sale), but it was very plasticy, no weather sealing, the lenses are all very slow apart from the 22/2, and you are almost forced to have to use big EF lenses or EF-S STM lenses to gain the required image quality (or at least to match the quality of images advertised - hence they were throwing in an EF-M adaptor in the kit). The EM1.2 just feels right, plus it's reassuringly weather sealed to an extent. My only gripe (a minor one) is the excessively complicated menu system.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/33656256672_a3f10d6a5c_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://www.flickr.com ...35379631@N04/336562​56672/] (external link)
_D3_7518-Edit (external link) by Tom Cross (external link) on Flickr

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,954 posts
Joined Feb 2005
N.E.LINCOLNSHIRE UK.
Apr 03, 2017 13:19 |  #10

I have bought the OMD MKII to run along side my Canon kit It is a very nice bit of kit ,I'm still working out the best settings for my use BIF .
focus is very vey quick with the 300 f4 pro and is close to my 1dxmkII but not as accurate Now this may well be me as it is all new to what I'm use to.

When using say 9 focus points they all seem to have the same strength so I don't thing they focus assist the centre one as in the Canon so you may have the centre one on target then it can jump to say the bottom right or left etc
FPS leaves the 1dx mkII a long way behind and the silent shutter setting is a birding dream come true even the mechanical shutter is very quite .
Up to now 400iso is my limit but I'm sure if you can get enough of the bird in the frame 800iso would be ok .

Early days yet but IM VERY happy with it, I have the Meatabones speed booster on the way then I can try my 600f4mkII on it this should be a field of view of about 950mm at f2.8 yes f 2.8 now that might be interesting the 400do mkII may be a better option for the weight but this would be like 640 f 2.8 Looking forward to testing these .
2 shots taken today 300f4 pro. 1/2000sec f4 iso 400
Rob.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htmexternal link

By-tor
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Emerald Isle, NC.
Apr 03, 2017 15:39 |  #11

That is very sexy!!! That lens looks huge and would look even bigger on my E-M5 mkII that I use the 12-40mm 2.8 on that I love.

sponsored links

2,093 views & 4 likes for this thread
The Move to The Olympus
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Olympus Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.