Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 15 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 13:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

It's Already 2AM: 36th Edition... THE REUNION THREAD !

Blurr ­ Cube
...a lucky id-iot that didn't get electrocuted...
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 01, 2017 22:17 as a reply to post 18486359 |  #361

Win 10. ;-)a

| Canon EOS Systems |

sponsored links
DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
13,315 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Apr 2011
Nov 01, 2017 23:01 |  #362

Blurr Cube wrote in post #18486626 (external link)
Win 10. ;-)a

are your hd's are working properly now?

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 02, 2017 23:16 |  #363

DTBaan wrote in post #18486648 (external link)
are your hd's are working properly now?

Haha! Long story on that build. It wasn't the hard drives per se. It was the motherboard SATA connectors. I knew this was the problem but I went through 4 RMA with Asus. FOUR! They wouldn't believe me that the board was bad. I pretty much gave up on the 3rd at how badly they dealt with it. For the first 3 RMA the board comes back worse than before with lots of error. I was doing personal troubleshooting that I bought duplicates of nearly every component that I was able to build a working computer. New board (Gigabyte this time), ram, cpu, psu, cooler, hd, m2, ssd. Everything worked with the exception of the Asus board itself which in my estimation needed to just be replaced.

The 4th time, I was like what else can I do and the CSR was nice enough so gave it another shot. They replaced it when they tested the board and I was soooo happy to finally get a working board. Now with the working board and duplicate parts, I built another one and now have 2 nearly identical twin systems. I'm just missing a vid card on the second system and using onboard vid. Prices on vid cards now are insane. vmad Maybe Black Friday I'll pick one up. :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
13,315 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Nov 03, 2017 10:25 |  #364

Blurr Cube wrote in post #18487408 (external link)
Haha! Long story on that build. It wasn't the hard drives per se. It was the motherboard SATA connectors. I knew this was the problem but I went through 4 RMA with Asus. FOUR! They wouldn't believe me that the board was bad. I pretty much gave up on the 3rd at how badly they dealt with it. For the first 3 RMA the board comes back worse than before with lots of error. I was doing personal troubleshooting that I bought duplicates of nearly every component that I was able to build a working computer. New board (Gigabyte this time), ram, cpu, psu, cooler, hd, m2, ssd. Everything worked with the exception of the Asus board itself which in my estimation needed to just be replaced.

The 4th time, I was like what else can I do and the CSR was nice enough so gave it another shot. They replaced it when they tested the board and I was soooo happy to finally get a working board. Now with the working board and duplicate parts, I built another one and now have 2 nearly identical twin systems. I'm just missing a vid card on the second system and using onboard vid. Prices on vid cards now are insane. vmad Maybe Black Friday I'll pick one up. :lol:

one system became two? lol geez i knew you had problems with it but that's one heck of a mess. first was msi, then asus and settled with gigabyte? I was gonna try msi board for my next build. ive been using gigabyte and wanted to try something knew. not a huge fan of asus and asrock and i like the looks on the msi. the ram prices has gone up as well. i'm not sure it itll happen but i look on getting a new computer sometime early 2018. hopefully they come out with some sexy new cases, waiting on ces reviews. so far ive only liked the phanteks enthloo evolve which i got on my later build that I sold off for dirt cheap.

how's the m.2? that's something new for me and will have on my next build.

Support this site - donate here

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 03, 2017 12:48 |  #365

DTBaan wrote in post #18487632 (external link)
one system became two? lol geez i knew you had problems with it but that's one heck of a mess. first was msi, then asus and settled with gigabyte? I was gonna try msi board for my next build. ive been using gigabyte and wanted to try something knew. not a huge fan of asus and asrock and i like the looks on the msi. the ram prices has gone up as well. i'm not sure it itll happen but i look on getting a new computer sometime early 2018. hopefully they come out with some sexy new cases, waiting on ces reviews. so far ive only liked the phanteks enthloo evolve which i got on my later build that I sold off for dirt cheap.

how's the m.2? that's something new for me and will have on my next build.

I was looking at MSI but decided to get ASUS. I had everything and built the system and everything was fine except I noticed that one of the HD would randomly disappear. Did some troubleshooting (swap out cables, hds) and figured it was the SATA ports on the board. RMA the board and they would send it back and I would get error codes and worse than before. I decided to troubleshoot some more on my own while going through more RMA hassles/frustrations (By the 3rd RMA the board wouldn't boot or go to the UEFI when it was fine before I sent it). New identical cpu (i7 6700K Sky Lake), psu, ram, m2, SSD, got an air cooler (cheaper than another aio), swap out parts and still had issues. The only variable not changing was the ASUS motherboard. Got fed up with ASUS and bought a new Gigabyte board, put it together, and everything worked and booted up fine.

So, now I had a second set of parts (except for vid card and motherboard). I thought I'd give the ASUS RMA one last shot (after a year later of not getting any use out of the board) before just getting another motherboard (like a mATX and build an HTPC) and chalk up the ASUS as a loss. Surprisingly, got a brand new replacement board on the 4th RMA and got to use all my parts for a 2nd system. So far everything is working great. Maybe just bad QC on the board and I was just unlucky to get crappy repair service (3 times in a row. vmad). Waiting on stock on a vid card to complete it. ;-)a

I got Samsung m.2. Pretty easy to install. It's just a stick that you hold down with a standoff and screw on your motherboard. I put the OS exclusively on it. Some games/programs on the SSD and the rest on mechanical drives. You can eliminate the mechanical drives and just have m.2 and large enough SSD and have a really fast system. 8-). I got an R5 case on one system and the Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass for the other. My CPUs are "obsolete" by now since there's Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, and AMD Threadripper out there now. :rolleyes:

If I get adventurous, maybe I'll try watercooling one of the systems. Heh. :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
13,315 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Nov 03, 2017 16:33 |  #366

Blurr Cube wrote in post #18487729 (external link)
I was looking at MSI but decided to get ASUS. I had everything and built the system and everything was fine except I noticed that one of the HD would randomly disappear. Did some troubleshooting (swap out cables, hds) and figured it was the SATA ports on the board. RMA the board and they would send it back and I would get error codes and worse than before. I decided to troubleshoot some more on my own while going through more RMA hassles/frustrations (By the 3rd RMA the board wouldn't boot or go to the UEFI when it was fine before I sent it). New identical cpu (i7 6700K Sky Lake), psu, ram, m2, SSD, got an air cooler (cheaper than another aio), swap out parts and still had issues. The only variable not changing was the ASUS motherboard. Got fed up with ASUS and bought a new Gigabyte board, put it together, and everything worked and booted up fine.

So, now I had a second set of parts (except for vid card and motherboard). I thought I'd give the ASUS RMA one last shot (after a year later of not getting any use out of the board) before just getting another motherboard (like a mATX and build an HTPC) and chalk up the ASUS as a loss. Surprisingly, got a brand new replacement board on the 4th RMA and got to use all my parts for a 2nd system. So far everything is working great. Maybe just bad QC on the board and I was just unlucky to get crappy repair service (3 times in a row. vmad). Waiting on stock on a vid card to complete it. ;-)a

I got Samsung m.2. Pretty easy to install. It's just a stick that you hold down with a standoff and screw on your motherboard. I put the OS exclusively on it. Some games/programs on the SSD and the rest on mechanical drives. You can eliminate the mechanical drives and just have m.2 and large enough SSD and have a really fast system. 8-). I got an R5 case on one system and the Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass for the other. My CPUs are "obsolete" by now since there's Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, and AMD Threadripper out there now. :rolleyes:

If I get adventurous, maybe I'll try watercooling one of the systems. Heh. :lol:

i'm thinking of turning my current one into an htpc when i upgrade. well not so much of getting a smaller case since I will just place the tower/case on the side of my home entertainment so itll be used mainly for media. MB on it is an atx so I won't want to do any upgrades or swaps. I recently got a bluetooth keyboard with touch pad so im set on that idea :)

thats great that the last asus board worked. must have had bad batches. would have sucked big time if it didnt and you were stuck with the various parts having to sell off on craigslist or something hehe. then again a cheapo mini atx/itx mb isnt too expensive to settle with, especially for an htpc.

which air cooling cpu did you get again?

what made you skip out on msi mb? my options for mb is either gigabyte or msi and gpu evga or msi. again msi for the looks heh. otherwise i think evga makes solid video cards but doesnt look as cool.

i will be going with samsung m.2 too. still debating on the evo or the pro. if price difference isnt too big of a gap ill do pro. I thought about not using mechanical drive on the next build but its so hard to not use it for storage and price. currently have 1 ssd and 3 mechanical.

hows having tempered glass? yeah computer sucks, buy one and its old after half a year heh.

Support the forums - donate here

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 06, 2017 15:03 |  #367

DTBaan wrote in post #18487870 (external link)
i'm thinking of turning my current one into an htpc when i upgrade. well not so much of getting a smaller case since I will just place the tower/case on the side of my home entertainment so itll be used mainly for media. MB on it is an atx so I won't want to do any upgrades or swaps. I recently got a bluetooth keyboard with touch pad so im set on that idea :)

thats great that the last asus board worked. must have had bad batches. would have sucked big time if it didnt and you were stuck with the various parts having to sell off on craigslist or something hehe. then again a cheapo mini atx/itx mb isnt too expensive to settle with, especially for an htpc.

which air cooling cpu did you get again?

what made you skip out on msi mb? my options for mb is either gigabyte or msi and gpu evga or msi. again msi for the looks heh. otherwise i think evga makes solid video cards but doesnt look as cool.

i will be going with samsung m.2 too. still debating on the evo or the pro. if price difference isnt too big of a gap ill do pro. I thought about not using mechanical drive on the next build but its so hard to not use it for storage and price. currently have 1 ssd and 3 mechanical.

hows having tempered glass? yeah computer sucks, buy one and its old after half a year heh.

Well, I didn't want the parts to go to waste so a mATX or mITX HTPC would've been my plan. Just get a decent board and case. I already have a wireless keyboard with built in trackpad which works great from the couch. ;-)a

I got a Hyper 212 EVO. It had one fan, but I had a spare fan so added it on with the included clips. Good to have as a backup if the AIO fails and easy to install. They're on sale a lot of times.

I went with ASUS over the MSI since it had features I liked (built in wireless out of the box plus lots of SATA ports for HD and other stuff). It may have been a bad batch and me being unlucky but their repair service/RMA nightmare was an atrocious experience. CS reps were very nice though... not very helpful but nice -?. I'm eyeing EVGA or ASUS 1080 Ti GPU. Prices and stock are crazy atm due to gpu mining, I think. vmad

SSD is nice for the OS. Boot ups are quick. I remember having long waits with mechanical drives  :p. You can have a perfectly fine system with just SSD. Just add mechanical drives later if you need more storage.

The tempered glass is heavy and fingerprint magnet. Just have to put it the case somewhere and leave it alone and not mess around with it too much. Much nicer than the acrylic window on the R5. That thing scratches so easily. :rolleyes:

| Canon EOS Systems |

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
13,315 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Nov 06, 2017 18:39 |  #368

Blurr Cube wrote in post #18490164 (external link)
Well, I didn't want the parts to go to waste so a mATX or mITX HTPC would've been my plan. Just get a decent board and case. I already have a wireless keyboard with built in trackpad which works great from the couch. ;-)a

I got a Hyper 212 EVO. It had one fan, but I had a spare fan so added it on with the included clips. Good to have as a backup if the AIO fails and easy to install. They're on sale a lot of times.

I went with ASUS over the MSI since it had features I liked (built in wireless out of the box plus lots of SATA ports for HD and other stuff). It may have been a bad batch and me being unlucky but their repair service/RMA nightmare was an atrocious experience. CS reps were very nice though... not very helpful but nice -?. I'm eyeing EVGA or ASUS 1080 Ti GPU. Prices and stock are crazy atm due to gpu mining, I think. vmad

SSD is nice for the OS. Boot ups are quick. I remember having long waits with mechanical drives  :p. You can have a perfectly fine system with just SSD. Just add mechanical drives later if you need more storage.

The tempered glass is heavy and fingerprint magnet. Just have to put it the case somewhere and leave it alone and not mess around with it too much. Much nicer than the acrylic window on the R5. That thing scratches so easily. :rolleyes:

yeah thats alot of parts and expensive to just let go of. i think you went with the better route then trying to sell it off used and taking a hit to gain some back. 'good time to build an htpc' heh.

how's the fan noise? I'm not sure whats out there now but I like thermaltake and be quiet. they are pretty silent. not the best color option for thermalright but its a good fan. noctua and phantek fans sound similar. id go with phantek because they have a better color scheme.

yup, not only are ssd nice for the speed, they are also silent. no clicking and noise when you are running apps. i'm really anal with uneeded noise :P good to hear the tempered glass is nice. acrylic windows doesnt give a nice clean/clear visual. it's like 480p vs 1080p :P

wow going 1080 Ti ?? so your plan would be upgrade the main computer and throw the old into the htpc?

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 07, 2017 13:04 |  #369

DTBaan wrote in post #18490324 (external link)
yeah thats alot of parts and expensive to just let go of. i think you went with the better route then trying to sell it off used and taking a hit to gain some back. 'good time to build an htpc' heh.

how's the fan noise? I'm not sure whats out there now but I like thermaltake and be quiet. they are pretty silent. not the best color option for thermalright but its a good fan. noctua and phantek fans sound similar. id go with phantek because they have a better color scheme.

yup, not only are ssd nice for the speed, they are also silent. no clicking and noise when you are running apps. i'm really anal with uneeded noise :P good to hear the tempered glass is nice. acrylic windows doesnt give a nice clean/clear visual. it's like 480p vs 1080p :P

wow going 1080 Ti ?? so your plan would be upgrade the main computer and throw the old into the htpc?

Well, I would've built an mITX HTPC if that 4th RMA didn't work out. But it did so I used the ASUS board and have a 2nd system (sans GPU).

Fan noise on the EVO is fairly quiet. I don't hear it ramp up too much since I don't really stress that system. I have a Kraken X61 on the other system. I switched out the stock fans with some Fractal Design fans. They're very quiet at idle but I can hear them when the system ramps up on load (playing games). NZXT's CAM software that controls the fan profiles sucks though vmad.

I was looking at BeQuiet and Noctua fans but went with Fractal Design Venturi series. High Pressure fans for the rad and High Flow for the case. Fans on the Gigabyte 980Ti is another source of noise. Those fans get loud when gaming.  :p

Yeah another nice thing about SSD are silent, the m.2 can get hot, I heard though. Once in a while I'll hear clicks from the mechanical drives. It doesn't bother me much. I just take note if it does it too much, then I think somethings wrong. -?

One system with the Gigabyte board has a Gigabyte 980Ti. The ASUS board has no discrete GPU. I'm making do with on-board video. So hoping to get a 1080Ti for it. ;-)a No current plans on making an HTPC out of the one system. If I get the 1080Ti, I can make that a gaming system and the other one the productivity (Office, LR, Photoshop) system. :lol:

| Canon EOS Systems |

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,244 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Las Vegas
Nov 11, 2017 22:25 |  #370

Italy, mediterranean and Aegean seas with th eM10 and Sony A7R and 16-35 mm lens.

I got back from 21 days of vacation, driving in Italy to Tuscany and Umbria, then a 12 day cruise. I joined the Leica users Rome One Challenge, they meet yearly and for two hours take 36 shots and an select one photo, you can use only one iso and lens, that you preselected...my entry is running one on the top 3.
I have many shots here are a few;
Mykonos with M10 and Elmarit 28

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Mykonos-and-Santorini/i-8FngCwr/0/f3aa9b7c/L/L1002411-L.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1002411-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Santorini

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Mykonos-and-Santorini/i-CzGC2XK/0/c6cbff96/L/L1002521-L.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1002521-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,244 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Las Vegas
Nov 11, 2017 22:29 |  #371

St Peter's Basilica in the vatican, hand held night shot
M10 and 28 mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Rome-and-Vatican/i-5WFKhhb/0/378394dc/L/L1001864-2-L.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L1001864-2-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

sunday mass with the pope
M10 and 28mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Rome-and-Vatican/i-XN4D8q5/0/b11e333c/L/L1001926-L.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1001926-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 12, 2017 12:38 |  #372

tonyniev wrote in post #18494369 (external link)
Italy, mediterranean and Aegean seas with th eM10 and Sony A7R and 16-35 mm lens.

I got back from 21 days of vacation, driving in Italy to Tuscany and Umbria, then a 12 day cruise. I joined the Leica users Rome One Challenge, they meet yearly and for two hours take 36 shots and an select one photo, you can use only one iso and lens, that you preselected...my entry is running one on the top 3.
I have many shots here are a few;
Mykonos with M10 and Elmarit 28

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1002411-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Santorini

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1002521-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Lovely blue skies. 8-) Santorini is in Greece, right? So, combo cruise and driving along Italy? Nice. ;-)a

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 12, 2017 12:41 |  #373

tonyniev wrote in post #18494373 (external link)
St Peter's Basilica in the vatican, hand held night shot
M10 and 28 mm

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L1001864-2-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

sunday mass with the pope
M10 and 28mm

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1001926-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Night and Day at the Vatican. ;-)a

| Canon EOS Systems |

Blurr ­ Cube
15,120 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Southern California
Nov 12, 2017 12:45 |  #374

FJ LOVE wrote in post #18469071 (external link)
the one I posted is more powerful and can be used as a bare bulb unit more like a strobe, useful if you decide to go the portrait route with your shooting, the V860 is a nice unit that will control more Godox flashes remotely I have one but I also have a dedicated strobe light

I ended up getting a Flashpoint V860II-C at Adorama. It went on sale that ends today, I believe. The AD200 is a nice bit of kit (and has an instant rebate on Adorama too atm) but might be too much for my current needs. Maybe later on. ;-)a

| Canon EOS Systems |

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,244 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Las Vegas
Nov 12, 2017 18:24 |  #375

Siena M10 28 mm

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Tuscanny/i-d9BPmrM/0/1b10b957/L/L1002149-2-L.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L1002149-2-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Tuscanny/i-8czzZPx/0/95f98cf2/L/L1002127-L.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...L/L1002127-L.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links

22,936 views & 147 likes for this thread
It's Already 2AM: 36th Edition... THE REUNION THREAD !
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.