Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 15 Feb 2017 (Wednesday) 18:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's the reason preventing ibis on DSLR?

fplstudio
Joined Jun 2015
Sydney, Australia
Feb 15, 2017 18:55 |  #1

Curious to understand why there are no rumors of DSLR manufacturers developing on camera stabilization.
Any technical reason making it impossible?

With the release of more and more mpx bodies I believe a stabilization system on the camera would be a very sensible feature .

Cheers

Canon 5Ds R | 16-35 4L IS | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS ii | 14 2.8 Samy | 35 1.4 Art | 85 1.8 | 135 2L | EXT 1.4X II | AD200 | V860ii-C | 2x TT600

sponsored links
smythie
I wasn't even trying
Joined Jun 2009
Sydney - Australia
Feb 16, 2017 14:15 |  #2

None really IMO

Gear List

alex66
177 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Feb 16, 2017 14:24 |  #3

Since the Minolta 7d in 2014/5 there have been DSLR's with IBIS, Pentax, Olympus and Sony all ave had used it. The problem for a long time was that lens based worked far far better but now the IBIS in Sony and OLy bodies can in a lot of cases far out perform end based. It surprises me that neither Canon or Nikon have introduced it as its benefits are numerous on a manufacturing basis, you only have to fit a stabilization unit in the camera bodies, end design becomes a lot lot simpler. I would think it could be more profitable if they sell more than one lens per body sold in a given time period and the lens profit exceeds the bodies. Sony's latest 42mp A99 has IBIS so I don't think it is a resolution thing.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Feb 16, 2017 14:33 |  #4

I think originally it was decided that in lens stabilisation was superior, probably because it could be tailored to the lens ( a nice bonus being they could charge more for multiple lenses ) but now, they're just wedded to the technology, the lesnes are already out there, the boat has sailed, a real shame as IBIS is obviously the way to go.

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

MrWho
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
Feb 24, 2017 16:49 |  #5

+1 to Olympus and Sony already having DSLR IBIS.

The other reason, I'm guessing, is that they can improve and push out new stabilization mechanisms into lenses more easily than having to design a new body. From what I remember, the Sony DSLRs always felt more bulky and difficult to use for me than the Canon/Nikon offerings. Olympus managed to keep a form similar to Canon/Nikon in their bodies with IBIS though.

Gear

fplstudio
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2015
Sydney, Australia
Feb 24, 2017 16:58 |  #6

Unlike mirrorless, I believe that a DSLR Ibis would not be able to stabilize the viewfinder, hence the advantage of stabilization on lens.

Canon 5Ds R | 16-35 4L IS | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 4L IS | 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS ii | 14 2.8 Samy | 35 1.4 Art | 85 1.8 | 135 2L | EXT 1.4X II | AD200 | V860ii-C | 2x TT600

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,547 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 01, 2017 12:48 |  #7

As mentioned, it's been done.

I think that pulling it off on Full Frame might be harder, due to less leeway with the image circle,. but that's just my hypothesis.
With the Sony mirror-less they do full frame and that was an unexpected achievement if I recall.

There are even some cameras out there (if I recall correctly) that can do IBIS and Lens IS and have it all work together.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Lyndön.
Apr 29, 2017 01:27 |  #8

There's no technical reason why it can't be done, as has been stated before.

Initially, the decision of lens IS vs IBIS (if it was even thought of then) was a no-brainer for Canon. Canon introduced it's first IS lens in 1995, well before DSLR's became mainstream and affordable. The 1.3MP Canon DCS-3 was released that year and cost roughly $9000 body-only. IS built into the lens could be used on emerging DSLR's as well as on the huge number of traditional film SLR's already out there. The first IBIS system (Minolta 7D) wasn't introduced until almost a decade later in 2004 (Not 2014 as stated above).

One main concern for Canon sticking with lens IS, is probably that IBIS seems to have it's limitations when being used with long telephoto lenses. There's only so far you can shift the sensor, after all. To overcome this, Olympus has "Synchronized IS" in it's new 300mm f/4 IS (600mm FF equiv) to allow the lens IS to work in sync with IBIS on the E-M1, E-M5 II, and PEN F for a claimed 6 stops of image stabilization. I believe Sony also has some sort of sync or uses lens IS for pitch/yaw and IBIS for roll, X and Y (turns off 2 of the 5 IBIS axes since the lens can do those better) with native OSS lenses from what I've read, but I'm far from a Sony expert and that may be completely wrong. Either way, in those cases of cooperative lens IS and IBIS you have the best of both worlds. I can't see Canon (or Nikon) sitting around and not adding IBIS to upcoming bodies for use with some sort of lens IS/IBIS sync system. Otherwise they'll just be left behind with inferior tech, which some would argue is already happening. I'm guessing the EOS-M line will be the guinea pig for Canon IBIS testing, and it'll eventually find its way into the DSLR lineup.

GEAR LIST

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,305 posts
Joined Apr 2003
British Columbia
May 06, 2017 13:28 |  #9

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18316702 (external link)
As mentioned, it's been done.

I think that pulling it off on Full Frame might be harder, due to less leeway with the image circle,. but that's just my hypothesis.
With the Sony mirror-less they do full frame and that was an unexpected achievement if I recall.

There are even some cameras out there (if I recall correctly) that can do IBIS and Lens IS and have it all work together.

Sony cameras can work together with IBIS and OSS.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
May 06, 2017 13:35 |  #10

fplstudio wrote in post #18274935 (external link)
What's the reason preventing ibis on DSLR? Curious to understand why there are no rumors of DSLR manufacturers developing on camera stabilization.

After reading your opening post, it seems like you think that IBIS is not used on DSLRs. . I am not sure why you think that. . Sony has had IBIS on its DSLR camera bodies for years and years. . At this point in time, IBIS on DSLRs is nothing new or innovative.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Timza
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Timza.
Jun 08, 2017 08:06 |  #11

The original poster said DSLR.

Please list for me the currently produced camera bodies that have IBIS, are manufactured by Sony, Olympus, or Panasonic, and have a MIRROR.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Jun 08, 2017 08:39 as a reply to Timza's post |  #12

I thought IBIS was initially installed on DSLRs but by manufacturers that have now switched to mirrorless designs.

A drawback of IBIS in a DSLR is that it would stabilize the image on the sensor (and in liveview) but would not stabilize the OVF image. You need (in-lens) stabilization before the mirror to get that.

I don't see any reason in principle why IBIS (stabilizing the sensor image) should not be introduced in DSLRs. But you would not get the full benefit.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 08, 2017 11:47 |  #13

Timza wrote in post #18373810 (external link)
The original poster said DSLR.

Yes, of course they did. . And I don't think that anyone posting to this thread has missed that point.

Timza wrote in post #18373810 (external link)
Please list for me the currently produced camera bodies that have IBIS, are manufactured by Sony, Olympus, or Panasonic, and have a MIRROR.

The Sony A99ii is a currently made DSLR, and has IBIS and a mirror. . I don't know if anyone else is making a DSLR with IBIS at this time.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Timza
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Jun 08, 2017 14:44 |  #14

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18373948 (external link)
And I don't think that anyone posting to this thread has missed that point.

Tom! I disagree.

Timza
130 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Timza.
Jun 08, 2017 14:52 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18373948 (external link)
The Sony A99ii is a currently made DSLR, and has IBIS and a mirror.

Wow. Just looked at the information on that camera. Thank you. Excellent. Sony's technology is amazing. I can imagine a day when Sony has a camera with no viewfinder and no LCD back where you wear VR glasses that look through the lens. Imagine the NFL having to limit the height of the camera poles people mount those type of cameras on.

sponsored links

2,534 views & 6 likes for this thread
What's the reason preventing ibis on DSLR?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.