Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 17 Feb 2017 (Friday) 14:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Memory RAM

showtm490
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 17, 2017 14:39 |  #1

I'm using a HP p6720f desktop (external link) which has three 2gb memory cards. Lately my PS and LR take forever loading adjustments. I tried doing a large pano yesterday which froze everything up. I was told I need more RAM so I'm looking to replace the 2gb's with four 4gb's hoping things will run smoother. What brands are good? I saw Patroit and Crucial on Adorama but unsure of the differences in each one as there is several in the same price range. Any help?

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D & 5D3 with Grip - Sigma 35 Art - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR - AB 47' Octa - Yongnuo (2) YN622C & TX

sponsored links
silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
Feb 17, 2017 15:03 |  #2

Instead of just throwing RAM into the machine I would use a resource monitor (Task Manager or Resource Monitor in windows) and see where your computer is being maxed out.

RAM can help but often people just recommend it like a golden ticket to better performance. If your processor is maxed through the whole task more RAM won't really help, same goes for the disk. Check what your bottleneck is.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,359 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 8 months ago by John from PA.
Feb 17, 2017 15:47 |  #3

showtm490 wrote in post #18276744 (external link)
What brands are good? I saw Patroit and Crucial on Adorama but unsure of the differences in each one as there is several in the same price range. Any help?

Personally I would go with Crucial, but having said that it is because I have had good luck with them for "personal" PC upgrades. The company I work for generally buys Kingston memory.

Regardless I would go to the Crucial site at http://www.crucial.com ...rade-for//pavilion-p6720f (external link). Make sure you expand the list to see "more compatible options". That machine takes DDR3L-1600 UDIMM memory so any make will work. Search eBay for some potential alternatives although I did a quick search and there doesn't seem to be anything significantly less expensive than Crucial which is $31 for a 4 MB stick.

What size and type of drive do you have, spinning platter or SSD? You might get more bang for your buck by going to an SSD.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Feb 18, 2017 06:29 |  #4

How much room do you have left on your hard drive? A new SSD will help speed things up too. I do not think you could go wrong with either brand of memory.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 18, 2017 14:11 |  #5

My C hard drive shows I have 392GB free of 918GB. My D says 1.58 free of 12.9GB.

I just looked into what a SSD is and now I'm interested it that also.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D & 5D3 with Grip - Sigma 35 Art - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR - AB 47' Octa - Yongnuo (2) YN622C & TX

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 18, 2017 14:19 |  #6

How many GB/TB are recommended for a SSD?

Flickr (external link)

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Feb 18, 2017 14:33 |  #7

Listing the specs of your PC will help with advice on where upgrades will make the most impact. Exact CPU and Motherboard will be very helpful.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 18, 2017 14:45 |  #8

http://support.hp.com/​us-en/document/c02628244 (external link)

Flickr (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Feb 18, 2017 15:17 |  #9

showtm490 wrote in post #18277659 (external link)
How many GB/TB are recommended for a SSD?

I have a 480 and that is working for me.. I did have a 240 and that was too small. If you can budget a 1 TB I would go in that direction.

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Feb 18, 2017 16:52 |  #10

Few things to consider, that CPU/Motherboard are fairly old and the single core processing power of the Phenom II CPU will be a limiting factor in Lr and Ps(Lr and Ps rely heavily on single core processing power). That generation of motherboard will only support Sata II speeds, modern SSD's run at nearly double that speed, basically running a current generation SSD with that motherboard will cut it's max performance in half, still faster than a conventional HDD though. It also uses uses DDR3 RAM, Intel platforms have moved on to DDR4 and the upcoming Ryzen from AMD will also use DDR4, if you buy DDR3 now it would most likely not be usable in a new system.

IMHO, I would not put much money into upgrading that system, it's old and fairly outdated. If you must upgrade it I would probably go for an SSD as it would still be usuable down the road.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Feb 20, 2017 05:27 |  #11

If you know how I'd suggest you to rebuild your computer. You may be able to reuse the case, PSU (power supply unit), the harddrive and OS. Win7 Home Premium is fine but it only supports up to 16gb RAM so you may want to upgrade to win7 Pro or better in the future.
That leaves a motherboard, cpu, RAM and a SSD.
If you are on a tight budget then a used Haswell i5 along with a compatible LGA 1150 motherboard along with 2x4 ddr3 1600mhz and add a ssd should be a very nice upgrade.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 20, 2017 12:40 |  #12

I was going to ask around about building a ($600-900) computer. Is that possible?

Flickr (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Feb 20, 2017 12:48 |  #13

showtm490 wrote in post #18279522 (external link)
I was going to ask around about building a ($600-900) computer. Is that possible?

Here is a great resource.

https://pcpartpicker.c​om/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 20, 2017 15:20 |  #14

I could run my entire system on a 120GB SSD. That's OS, programs, swap, and cache, and probably my current working set of images. In practice I use another 120GB SSD for some data, that way I can take images of my OS SSD with Macrium Reflect for fast backup and restore.

Images don't need to go on an SSD, a good quality spinning disk is fine. A spinning disk transfers data fast enough for processing, given the thumbnails and such are on a cache on the SSD. Yes an SSD will transfer the images faster, but I don't think you're going to get any real world speedup that a human would notice. I actually keep my images on a software mirrored RAID system, two 4TB HGST drives, using Windows storage spaces.

Sometimes buying a Dell/HP/Lenovo will be your best bet on a budget. On the other hand buying a recent generation i5/i7 (i5 is plenty fast for interactive work, i7 is faster for export / video), the lowest model of a good brand motherboard that has the ports you need, 16GB RAM, an SSD, and all the other bits like case, cooling, good quality PSU can sometimes be competitive - just more work and more risk.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Post has been edited 7 months ago by joeseph.
Feb 21, 2017 02:11 |  #15

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

120G ssd...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

3,471 views & 10 likes for this thread
Memory RAM
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.