Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 17 Feb 2017 (Friday) 14:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Memory RAM

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 8 months ago by FuturamaJSP. 3 edits done in total.
Feb 21, 2017 02:35 |  #16

showtm490 wrote in post #18279522 (external link)
I was going to ask around about building a ($600-900) computer. Is that possible?

In that case:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooler Master 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 (i believe you only need this one if you plan to have a dedicated GPU in the future otherwise your current PSU should be fine)

Total: $789.37 or $$709.38 without the PSU

you could keep the harddrive for storage and Windows 7 just make sure to install the OS on the SSD and you will notice a HUGE improvement compared to your current PC

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 21, 2017 16:43 |  #17

I'm sure people manage to fill up smaller SSDs. Simple housekeeping like turning the restore points down, deleting temp files, using "disk clean" which is built into windows to remove junk tends to keep it pretty compact. Try using Treesize Free (external link) running as an admin to show where all the space is @joseph. Games tend to be huge.

I could post a screenshot of my disk, but all it'll show is 30-40GB of my 120GB SSD used.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,225 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Feb 22, 2017 03:08 |  #18

why cheap out on ssds? A 120gb ssd is usually only around 20 bucks cheaper than 240-250gb ssds of the same brand and model

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DAexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Feb 22, 2017 14:24 |  #19

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18281267 (external link)
why cheap out on ssds? A 120gb ssd is usually only around 20 bucks cheaper than 240-250gb ssds of the same brand and model

That's true now, so it usually doesn't matter. However I prefer to keep my OS SSD compact so I can more easily do backups and restores, and if my OS drive is only 50GB I don't really need to buy a 250GB SSD. My secondary SSD could be larger, but in practice I keep most data on my RAID array.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 22, 2017 16:06 |  #20

I tend to keep all of my photos on an external hard drive. I'm thinking of trying a ssd over the memory as my main concern before having to drop a load of money into a new system is making my PS/LR running smoother.

JohnBphotography.net (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D & 5D3 with Grip - Sigma 35 Art - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR - AB 47' Octa - Yongnuo (2) YN622C & TX

silvrr
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2007
Chicago,IL
Post has been edited 7 months ago by silvrr.
Feb 22, 2017 16:16 |  #21

showtm490 wrote in post #18281959 (external link)
I tend to keep all of my photos on an external hard drive. I'm thinking of trying a ssd over the memory as my main concern before having to drop a load of money into a new system is making my PS/LR running smoother.

I really don't think a SSD is going to help much here. As I said before you really need to look at what is being bottle necked and causing your slow down.

Also, here are some benchmarks (way outdated now) but will give you an idea on how different items effect performance in light room. Note how moving from a SSD from a HDD or even to a RAM disk doesn't effect import/export speed. The biggest jumps I saw in performance were updating hardware and upping the core count to 4 cores.

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1309397&​page=2

What version of lightroom are you running? Earlier versions are as RAM intensive as the newer ones. Similarly if you don't have the newer versions configured correctly it can slow you down quite a bit.

Also, are you editing the photos off the External hard drive? That will slow you down big time. Based on the age of your hardware its a USB2 connection and that will be extremely slow.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Feb 22, 2017 19:51 |  #22

I use LR/PS CC. When I edit the photos I import the album to my hard drive, after editing I export them back to the external. My main issue in the programs is how slow they can be when loading and when applying an edit.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D & 5D3 with Grip - Sigma 35 Art - Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II - Canon 430EX - Flashpoint XPLOR - AB 47' Octa - Yongnuo (2) YN622C & TX

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Feb 22, 2017 23:02 |  #23

tim wrote in post #18280839 (external link)
Try using Treesize Free (external link) running as an admin to show where all the space is @joseph.

30G in users profiles... [largest is my one  :p]

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by showtm490. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 22, 2017 16:13 |  #24

A friend has a Intel Core i7 4770 w/16gigs of RAM, 500GB SSD, Windows Pro 10 and Office 2013 for $500. He built it three years ago but just built him another as he's a big gamer. I've heard this would be an awesome setup to the 4670k sucks for ps/lr. Any opinions?

Flickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,752 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by EverydayGetaway. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 22, 2017 20:05 |  #25

showtm490 wrote in post #18279522 (external link)
I was going to ask around about building a ($600-900) computer. Is that possible?

Very possible. You could actually build a great PS/LR computer for a lot cheaper than that (like, half).

scorpio_e wrote in post #18279533 (external link)
Here is a great resource.

https://pcpartpicker.c​om/ (external link)

This. Awesome website.

joeseph wrote in post #18280167 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by joeseph in
./showthread.php?p=182​80167&i=i217463453
forum: Computers

120G ssd...

I agree, running a smaller SSD for the OS and main Apps (though I would opt for a 250gb) and then use a secondary SSD or HDD for storage.

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18280173 (external link)
In that case:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Cooler Master 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 (i believe you only need this one if you plan to have a dedicated GPU in the future otherwise your current PSU should be fine)

Total: $789.37 or $$709.38 without the PSU

you could keep the harddrive for storage and Windows 7 just make sure to install the OS on the SSD and you will notice a HUGE improvement compared to your current PC

Why the 6700K though? I get it for gaming since some games run better with it (especially overclocked), but for a novice who doesn't seem to have any interest in overclocking I would opt for a Ryzen 7 1600 or even a Ryzen 5 1500.

showtm490 wrote in post #18281959 (external link)

In that case, I would definitely pick up an SSD and throw it into your system now. They're very easy to install, and a fresh install of Windows 10 itself may solve your problem for you. If it turns out to not speed up your system, then you can just use that same SSD in a new build.

silvrr wrote in post #18281973 (external link)
I really don't think a SSD is going to help much here. As I said before you really need to look at what is being bottle necked and causing your slow down.

Also, here are some benchmarks (way outdated now) but will give you an idea on how different items effect performance in light room. Note how moving from a SSD from a HDD or even to a RAM disk doesn't effect import/export speed. The biggest jumps I saw in performance were updating hardware and upping the core count to 4 cores.

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1309397&​page=2

What version of lightroom are you running? Earlier versions are as RAM intensive as the newer ones. Similarly if you don't have the newer versions configured correctly it can slow you down quite a bit.

Also, are you editing the photos off the External hard drive? That will slow you down big time. Based on the age of your hardware its a USB2 connection and that will be extremely slow.

I built a system for a friend a little over a year ago with a Phenom II X4 955 and it worked great for LR (never tried PS). It played games better than the brand new build I did for a friend last year with an i3 a6100 at it's heart, but I attribute that mostly to the GPU's being an R9 280 (in the phenom system) vs a GTX 960.

I totally agree with your external drive editing comment though, that'd definitely sap the performance.

showtm490 wrote in post #18282151 (external link)
I use LR/PS CC. When I edit the photos I import the album to my hard drive, after editing I export them back to the external. My main issue in the programs is how slow they can be when loading and when applying an edit.

That definitely could be attributed to the drive. Could also be the CPU, but idk... even the laptop grade i5 in my Surface Pro 4 works fine with LR, it really only slows down when it throttles after a while (from being too hot). I think the biggest culprit is probably lightroom optimization itself. Out of the box lightroom is kinda slow on any system in my experience. Look up an optimization guide for lightroom, there's a bunch of them out there.

showtm490 wrote in post #18434327 (external link)
A friend has a Intel Core i5 4670k w/16gigs of RAM, 500GB SSD, Windows Pro 10 and Office 2013 for $500. He built it three years ago but just built him another as he's a big gamer. I've heard this would be an awesome setup to the 4670k sucks for ps/lr. Any opinions?

4670K would work great in LR, not sure where you heard that. LR (as it is now) is pretty dependent on single core performance, but they're going to have to redesign it before long, people have been complaining about it's optimization for a while now and alternatives to LR are starting to become pretty popular, Adobe is going to have to fix LR's issues or lose their customers. That being said, if you were building a new system I would opt for a CPU with more cores/threads, especially now that AMD has stirred up the game and made high core CPU's very affordable with their Ryzen chips.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

showtm490
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Forsyth GA
Aug 22, 2017 20:14 |  #26

Edited it's a Intel Core i7 4770 not i5.

Flickr (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,657 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Aug 23, 2017 05:49 |  #27

This is an old thread, but i can tell you, think about SSD first, and try not think much about others who will say it won't help that much.

I changed all my computers to SSD, even the lowest oldest one, i can't leave without SSD, even with lowest RAM it has an impact, i have given a laptop bought for an adopted son who used to live with us, he gave up his laptop, and the RAM inside is only 3GB and can't go higher than 4GB anyway, i simply changed the drive to SSD and it was way way better than before, in fact it isn't worse than my old laptop that has i7 processor and 16GB RAM, imagine, so SSD did make it better, then after that you can change other things slowly like video card or increase the RAM just in case.

Before you buy your friend computer, try to change your current rig drive to SSD and see how much it improved from before, and i recommend to get minimum 240-250GB SSD even if you use only 10% of that for OS, sometimes you are not in position to use an external drive and you ill find yourself loading your computer with gigabtyes of data whatever it is far from your external drive, i just started Astronomy and for that i will end up with so many exposures subs that may need GBs to load, and i really not planing to haul my external drive outdoor connected to my laptop, and it is always just a safe side to be with 250Gb using 50GB for OS than 120GB and having 50B for OS, i have 240GB in my laptop and i think to upgrade to 500GB at least.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 28, 2017 00:10 |  #28

showtm490 wrote in post #18276744 (external link)
I'm using a HP p6720f desktop (external link) which has three 2gb memory cards. Lately my PS and LR take forever loading adjustments. I tried doing a large pano yesterday which froze everything up. I was told I need more RAM so I'm looking to replace the 2gb's with four 4gb's hoping things will run smoother. What brands are good? I saw Patroit and Crucial on Adorama but unsure of the differences in each one as there is several in the same price range. Any help?

It's 2017, get more RAM. :)

Get 16GB, 2x 8GB sticks.

Crucial is very reliable, but a little dear.
The only other RAM I will buy is Corsair. They make pricey ones with weird heatsinks for over clocking, but they also make a more standard RAm that is a little less costly than Crucial. I've used that pretty much exclusively since about 2007.

https://smile.amazon.c​om ...ords=corsair+1333mh​z+ddr3 (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Aug 28, 2017 01:20 |  #29

Nothing wrong with upgrading your current pc or building from scratch. For one it allows you to select quality components.

But, If you want a ready built pc, consider a Dell refurbished. You can save a lot of money and they come with good warranty. I've owned two refurbished XPS desktops that looked new and ran excellent.

You could buy a "bare bones" XPS on the cheap then add memory, HD, SSD, video card to your liking. The XPS case alone is pretty nice.

http://m.dell.com/h5/m​/us/index (external link)

Just an idea.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links

3,480 views & 10 likes for this thread
Memory RAM
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.