Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 20 Feb 2017 (Monday) 05:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Gain confidence in directing

clairh
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2017
Feb 20, 2017 05:15 |  #1

Hi Ya

I think I am abit shy and even when photographing friends or family, I'm just not any good at directing people for the pose I may want etc etc. I think its my lack of confidence because I am a real people person.

What do you advise I do to improve my confidence please?

Thank you
Clair:-)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Feb 21, 2017 10:01 |  #2

clairh wrote in post #18279109 (external link)
Hi Ya

I think I am abit shy and even when photographing friends or family, I'm just not any good at directing people for the pose I may want etc etc. I think its my lack of confidence because I am a real people person.

Thank you

Hey Clair-

Just like anything else, its something that you grow more confident and comfortable doing with experience....so the best way to build your confidence is to simply shoot more.

I'd recommend joining a photo club...particularly one where you'll be able to work with models. Meetup.com is a really good resource.

In the groups I've been in, everyone is there to learn so its ok to be green and people are always willing to help out and give pointers. Also, working with models might sound intimidating, but the thing about models is that they know how to pose themselves and need less direction than your friends or family who are basically lost without you telling them what to to do. Do a couple of those and you'll be comfortable with the 'flow' of a typical portrait session and will pick up a couple of poses to keep in your back pocket for yourself later.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Feb 22, 2017 08:38 |  #3

mystik610 wrote in post #18280426 (external link)
Hey Clair-

Just like anything else, its something that you grow more confident and comfortable doing with experience....so the best way to build your confidence is to simply shoot more.

I'd recommend joining a photo club...particularly one where you'll be able to work with models. Meetup.com is a really good resource.

In the groups I've been in, everyone is there to learn so its ok to be green and people are always willing to help out and give pointers. Also, working with models might sound intimidating, but the thing about models is that they know how to pose themselves and need less direction than your friends or family who are basically lost without you telling them what to to do. Do a couple of those and you'll be comfortable with the 'flow' of a typical portrait session and will pick up a couple of poses to keep in your back pocket for yourself later.

All great advice. For me, learning to "see" poses and direct people has been way harder than any of the technical camera stuff.

"Fake it till you make it" is great advice too. To some extent, you don't have to BE confident, you just have to appear confident to the people you're directing.

Number one thing is to shoot more. Join photo clubs that have model shoots. However, a couple of caveats:
- Not all photo clubs are the same. Look for ones with good leadership and organized model shoots. The meetups where everyone just shows up and start shooting, without any organization or direction, will likely not be a good learning experience for you right now.
- In photo clubs like this, sometimes the models are novices and amateurs too (unless the club hires professional models). They may not know how to pose themselves. However, after you gain some experience, you'll be able to tell in the first few seconds whether the model knows what they're doing or not.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

photosbytw
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2015
Blue Ridge Mountains
Feb 22, 2017 10:07 |  #4

clairh wrote in post #18279109 (external link)
I think its my lack of confidence because I am a real people person.

Thank you

Tell everyone your Martin Scorsese..............​. :p

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net (external link)

3,055 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gain confidence in directing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.